“Decent food but WAY over-priced”

Angelina's Ristorante & Wine
Ranked #4 of 99 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
North Andover, Massachusetts
“Decent food but WAY over-priced”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

From Lasagna at $21 to steak and Lobster at $39 ... be prepared for a huge tab after a just "good" meal. The portions of the main dish are small while huge onion rings seem designed to distract you. The sauce on my dish reminded me of a family Italian retaurant ... hardly the upper crust this restaurant makes believe it is.

The wait staff is good but the owner has a chip on his shoulder ... He is very unfriendly to any customer who raises an issue. I think his temper makes his own employees fearful of him.

There are numerous better restaurants in the Ogunquit area where you can really get the fine dining experience you thought you would get here. Don't waste your time or money.

• Visited February 2014
9 Thank Scramjet314
angelinaogt, Owner at Angelina's Ristorante & Wine, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
I’m not going to begin this with a discussion of price, food, or even your drunkenness that night. I want to address how you made my waitress, a very sweet girl, feel helpless. You say you sensed your waitress was fearful of me, but the bitter truth is that due to your constant heckling and berating which consumed too much of her time at the peak hour of service, she was fearful of falling behind and losing the goodwill of her other customers. She came to me on the verge of tears because of your antics. You not only ruined her night but the night of every patron within earshot of your baseless malcontent. You know as well I do that they clapped upon your exiting the building.

Now you come here to TripAdvisor, where there is no recourse for your lying, to complain that we overcharged you for small portions. You and your husband are part of a very select group. In fact, you and your husband may be the only ones in your group, believing that our main courses are too small. Customers are always telling us how happy they are to have a doggy bag with lunch in it for the next day. In addition, I truly hope you understand that there is no such thing as a self-sustaining restaurant that gives away free lobster. Your filet entrée was clearly priced $31 on the menu with an exact description of the preparation and size of the cut. Your dish did not include lobster. You chose to add it and your waitress communicated to me after you left that it appeared as if you expected the lobster for free. We are more than willing to accommodate changes to our menu, but please remember that this is a business, not a soup kitchen. The price you paid for your lobster was almost at cost for me, meaning I made no money from you. We thought we were being very generous, especially after you requested even more lobster on top of the amount we charged.

Since you made a point of telling me there are many other restaurants in our area, I encourage you to visit them with your attitude. Every time I walked by your table you tried to hail me by yelling “Hey Buddy” and then proceeded to voice another complaint. You repeatedly uttered the phrase “Hey Buddy I write reviews on TripAdvisor,” as if that would compel me to suddenly grant your every wish and whim. It’s worth noting that this is your first and only review on here, highlighting the need for your readers to take what you say with a big grain of salt. Unfortunately, this attitude of yours is a growing phenomenon, whereby customers believe that just mentioning they write reviews ensures special treatment or accommodations. Frankly, it does not, because we treat every customer with the same excellence, no matter how big or small their voice is.

West Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great romantic evening”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Went here before my husband proposed and the food was delicious! I highly recommend the blueberry martini. Service was great and we will definitely go back!

• Visited February 2013
angelinaogt, Owner at Angelina's Ristorante & Wine, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
thank you so much for taking the time to review our restaurant and for your visit. Did you know we infuse our own "fresh fruit vodka" so glad you enjoyed our fresh blueberry martini. We look forward to serving you on your next visit, which we hope will be very soon.
David & Staff
Ogunquit, Maine
“Good experience”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This was our first visit to Angelina's having moved to the area recently. I had read about their nightly "off season" specials and thought it sounded like a bargain or perhaps too good to be true. My expectations were set accordingly. We went on a Sunday and got there just as they opened so there were plenty of seats at the bar for a pre-dinner glass of wine. The wine list wasn't terribly lengthy but had A+ choices. It didn't take long for the dining room to start to fill so we moved to a table. Our server was excellent. Our daughter, a veteran in the restaurant industry, was with us and she had multiple questions on the menu. She ultimately asked our server to "surprise" her with his pick of an entrée for her! The appetizers were well portioned and great for sharing. Our entrees were exactly as described in the menu. Clearly they have it down pat. If we didn't clean our plates it left in a take out bag so not a bite to spare!

• Visited January 2014
Hampton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

We were there last evening with a large group for the wine pairing dinner. Everything was perfect from the welcome to our departure. We were met in the parking lot and instructed where to park. The dinning room was comfortable, the servers attentive, the food was fresh, delicious and plentiful. The wine was superb and paired creatively by the wine rep. Our wine glass was never empty! Thanks..........

Visited January 2014
Wells, Maine
“Locals in the heart of winter”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Hailing originally from the metro NY area, finding good Italian food with great service outside of NYC was difficult. Having spent 27 years in Boston, I noticed Boston finally caught up through the years (people who come from NY and have spent time in New England know exactly what I'm talking about.) Today, living in Maine full time, finding a decent place to eat with acceptable service is a challenge, let alone in the dead of winter. Dave not only keeps Angelina's open in minus temperatures in the dead of winter while many others close shop, he delivers great food with service to mirror the finest northern Italian restaurant in NYC. Angelina's is definitely a place to frequent when traveling up here or if you live in the area. He monitors his staff and obviously has experience in people skills. He definitely shows his graciousness, culture and worldliness in the manner he runs his restaurant and the way he treats his patrons - something many in the area seem to lack.

• Visited January 2014