“Learned a lot and enjoyed the views!”

Finestkind Scenic Cruises
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Three ladies were in the area for the first time and decided to take a ride on the lobster cruise. We learned a lot since we don't have many lobsters in Iowa. The crew was great and the views were outstanding. I thought the price was pretty cheap for the experience as well. We even had our first whole lobsters that night!

1  Thank knott02

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We went up for a day trip in the fall and had the pleasure of another boat ride to the Nubble Lighthouse. Always a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We loved this cruise to the Nubble lighthouse. The day was warm, but the sea was a little choppy - I felt as if I was on the ocean for the first time in my life! As others have mentioned, the boat chugs along to the lighthouse for wonderful photo opportunities of the Nubble from the water, then heads back to Ogunquit. For those who think they can catch the same pictures of the shore on the way back, think again. The boat definitely moves further out to sea on the way back - either it was because of the conditions that day, or that is the tour route. Narration is also on the first leg to the Nubble, and not on the way back.

This was our only opportunity to see Maine from the water, and I am so glad we took the cruise. Easy parking is available at Perkins Cove for around $15, flat rate for the day.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

I took the Nubble Lighthouse Cruise on 9/19/13. The day was perfect in that it was sunny, barely a breeze, high 60s/low 70s, and the ocean was calm and beautiful. While a little expensive ($26 pp), since I was on vacation, I treated myself. We left out of Perkins Cove harbor (right at Barnacle Billy's) on time, with plenty of seating on board. What I found interesting was that there was no safety instructions given (where flotation devices are located, etc.), as I thought that was Coast Guard mandatory. Instead, the "First Mate" introduced herself to all, proceeded to tell us what they had available to drink (water, soft drinks, and alcohol) and what type of snacks you could purchase (chips, peanuts, etc.). Prices were conveniently left out, but we were told that they would "run a tab" and settle up at the end of the cruise. She then went through person-by-person to get your "order." All of this took place before we even left the dock. While underway, our drinks were handed out. If you ordered water, you received the bottle with a cup of ice, but if you ordered a soda, iced tea, beer, or rum punch, you just got a small cup of ice and the drink. Huh? Where's the rest of the can of soda I just paid for?!

The boat was very clean (including the "head" [aka toilet]) and quite comfortable. Once we were finally out of the harbor, the First Mate provided various information on the houses/inns/buildings/beaches, etc. we passed along the way, as well as interesting tidbits about lobsters and the trap buoys we passed. Once we got close to the Nubble Lighthouse, we were given great details about the history of the island and lighthouse. The boat circled around so we could get plenty of pictures. It is truly a lovely island and the lighthouse and buildings are well cared for. Seeing it from the water-side on a boat made the viewing of it so much better. We also received history about Boon Island and the lighthouse there, as we could see it about 5 or 6 miles out in the distance.

The trip back to the harbor was quicker, of course, but was still a lovely ride. It was at that time that our "drink tab" was settled.

I'm a little torn -- On one hand, the cruise was wonderful: Access onto and off of the vessel was steady and easy, the boat was very clean and well maintained, and the Captain handled it expertly. The narration was easy to hear and provided good information. On the other hand, we received no emergency information whatsoever and, I certainly did NOT like the pressure to purchase overpriced drinks and snacks. So, take the cruise, by all means, and enjoy it...it's almost worth it. But find out where your PFD is and either take along your own beverage, or just don't purchase one onboard and wait until you get back to the dock where restaurants abound.

1  Thank MaggieMe
ahubbard, Manager at Finestkind Scenic Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

HI and thanks for your review on Trip Advisor. We just wanted to address a couple of the items mentioned in your review:
Regarding safety instructions, we comply with all US Coast requirements and are inspected every year.
All prices are happily provided by our crew.
We understand you presumed your soda would be served in a can - it actually comes from a "gun", therefore must be served in a cup. If the beer is bottled, it is served with the bottle - if it is draft beer it comes in a cup. Rum punch is made to order in a cup.
We certainly do not intend to pressure anyone into a purchase they do not want to make - the drinks and snacks are there as a convenience to our guest and are of course optional. Regarding prices - our drink prices are taken directly from Barnacle Billy's restaurant; again we do not intend to overprice anything and have always felt that our prices are fair.
We hope this clears up some of the items you mentioned in your review. We appreciate your business and work hard to give everyone a wonderful experience cruising the waters of Ogunquit, York and Wells Maine.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I took the nubble lighthouse cruise, its a great tour to relax and see the ocean and landmarks along the way to nubble light house. Our tour guide/MC was : Thomas who was very friendly and knew his stuff/ part of his job i'm sure! HA! The price was $26 a person, not bad at all. The only downfall is the parking situation at perkins cove. We had to pay $15 to park in the lot near by. oh well got to park all day for $15. not bad.

2  Thank brokenxx