“The way lobster should be!”

Beach Plum Lobster Farm
Ranked #21 of 98 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: LIVE, COOKED OR PACKED FOR TRAVEL. OGUNQUITS ONLY HUSBAND AND WIFE LOBSTER SERVICE. 2 People work here. Since 1995. We do not quote prices or give out pricing over the phone. Market price is posted daily. Prices are subject to change.
“The way lobster should be!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

My wife and I made an unplanned stop this afternoon at the Beach Plum Lobster Farm,what a fantastic surprise!We had to wait like everyone else but the young couple who run the place made it fun and entertaining.They took the time to answer questions,show us the different size lobsters and threw in some directions along with plenty of good humor.It was a far cry from having a lobster dropped in front of you and then only seeing the waitperson as they try to hurry you along so they can seat the next party.The lobsters were a perfect match for the outdoor picnic tables,doing battle with our steaming meal family style was an absolute delight,there was lots of laughing and ribbing between my wife and I and our new found friends.The entire experience was simply delightful,we'll never drive by again without stopping.I would recommend it to anyone who wants a out of this world Maine lobster experience.Thanks guys,Beach Plum is the very best.

3 Thank David K R

“Most caring, kind, generous owners ever,… And great lobsters and steamers to boot!”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

First, let me start by saying I am not one who typically posts reviews, as you can tell by the fact that I have only posted one other review on Trip Advisor and it, too, was for Beach Plum Lobster Farm. The reason I chose to write the first review is that I was extremely impressed by them. Beach Plum truly is the best, and definitely deserve the kudos. I am writing this review for the same reason, especially after reading the scathing review from Lampark below.

I have been going to Ogunquit now for 10 summers, for 1 - 3 weeks each summer. I discovered Beach Plum at the end of my first summer there and was thrilled to be able to finally end my search for the best place to get lobsters and steamers. Aside from the fact that I get the freshest, most delicious lobsters and steamers at a cost way below the price you pay at the typical restaurants in town, I love returning each year to the warm welcome I always receive from Dave and Tina, the owners of Beach Plum - they now even recognize my voice on the telephone. I only know them from my return trips each year, yet I believe that I can now truly call them my friends. I have referred many, many people there and have been thanked profusely for the recommendation, as the food, service and pricing is always exceptional.

This is a small business owned, for about 20 years, by a couple who are members of the Ogunquit community & deserve respect from their fellow community members & patrons. To the few of you who have commented on the owner being rude, Dave does have quite a sense of humor and perhaps you misinterpreted what he was saying. Otherwise, perhaps one of you was having a bad day and/or were not on your best behavior. I have never seen Dave or Tina raise their voice to any customer. As a matter of fact, they seem to know many of them by name and treat them with kindness, courtesy, and respect. Perhaps you got a bad impression, for whatever reason, but you should try to give them a second chance – you will not be sorry!

Lampark, first of all, talk about being "VERY RUDE"!!! You show zero respect for someone's artistic creativity & should be ashamed of yourself for your comment about the tiki torches. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion (i happen to love the Tiki's and think they show so much talent), but my parents taught me that if I have nothing nice to say to not say anything at all. This, coupled with your family's attempts to destroy this business via social media, merely serves to show what type of people you are.

Regarding your experience at Beach Plum, there is a huge sign near the picnic tables that says that only food from their establishment is allowed on the premises. It is unreasonable for you to rely on a Trip Advisor review to think that you have permission to bring your own cooler of food when the sign explicitly says otherwise. No matter how special you may be, the rules apply to everyone, including your family. Furthermore, I happen to know for a fact that Post Road Tavern does not allow outside food either. Did you try to bring your cooler into their restaurant? I doubt it, but if you did, and they told you that they wouldn't allow it, did you question why and then tell them that Chauncey Creek allows it? If so, I would not be surprised if they told you to take your business to Chauncey Creek also. No restaurant should give up their valuable seating space for someone to bring in other food. Chauncey Creek is a rare exception.

Your review emphasizes and harps on the fact that there were no other customers there. This fact has no bearing whatsoever on Beach Plum Lobster Farm and seems to be yet another of your tactics to try to bash a reputable business. If you read the majority of the reviews for Beach Plum, you'll see that it is not for lack of customers who love it there. Actually, you should consider yourself lucky that you did not have to wait, as they typically have several customers at a time throughout the afternoon & evening. Nonetheless, they still make every effort to serve everyone as promptly as possible. I suggest that before you write another negative review criticizing others, maybe you should look in the mirror & work on yourself first. The Golden Rule is simple enough - perhaps you should practice abiding by it more often.

To those of you who are reading this review, feel free to ignore my opinion if you think I am biased (though the review really is unbiased & based 100% on my experiences with Beach Plum Lobster Farm). Please do, however, pay attention to the majority of reviews and ignore the naysayers. You won't be sorry, and I bet you will go back time and time again, as I have, whenever your travels bring you to Ogunquit – the beautiful place by the sea.

6 Thank jdmjpowell
“Only place to go.”
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

This was our first visit to Maine. The owner was super friendly and informative as well as his wife. They took the time to show us the different lobsters...and how to tell the difference between male and female. My kids loved it. The lobster was incredible and perfectly cooked. We also went the day we were leaving to buy lobsters to bring home and again the owner was super helpful.

1 Thank Gossamer613
Rochester, New Hampshire
“Very Rude Owner”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

My family and I went to the Beach Plum today to celebrate a birthday. Five adults and 2 kids. We brought a cooler with side dishes and drinks, as we had read in at least one review. When we started to place our order, the owner told us that we couldn't have the cooler, although he said that sides were allowed(??) My daughter asked why they didn't allow it like other places such as Chauncey Creek in Kittery. The owner told her to go there!!! AND, there were NO OTHER customers in the entire place!!!! We had a 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old with us, so we weren't looking for trouble. We packed up and left the place - which was now completely empty! We went to the Post Road Tavern and had a great meal. We will never return to the Beach Plum. This guy cared more about the hideous totem poles he had all over the property than about the only customers in the place! In reading other reviews, it sounds like the owner has a habit of treating customers badly.

8 Thank lampark
Richmond, VA
“First time here, but will be back”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I have always seen this place on Rt 1 when I have visited Ogunquit, but never knew what it was. This time, I looked into it, and found that they have lobsters and steamers live to go or cooked to go. We ordered 2 lobsters and steamers cooked to go, and they provide the melted butter. There are some picnic tables there to eat outside, but we took the food back to our hotel and enjoyed it there. The lobster and steamers were outstanding, and were reasonably priced.

Visited July 2014