“Terrible place”

Colonial Village Resort
Ranked #36 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My wife and I spent one night in this resort to see the show at the Ogonquit Playhouse. We were very disappointed with the place. The air condition is too noisy, bed is hard as rock, window blind does not close completely, breakfast is skimpy and no internet (although the ad said that it is free. The electronic key does not work.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 15, 2010

I have been staying here every year for years with my family when I was younger and now with my husband. We absolutely love it there. Indoor and outdoor pools are great. There has always been an indoor jacuzzi and they recently added the outdoor jacuzzi, which is great at night when it's a little chilly out. In the daytime you can see the beautiful view of the ocean from the pool. Breakfast is usually doughnuts and cereal. There is a great breakfast place across the street that is very inexpensive and I look forward to every year. The trolley stop is also across the street to take you to any part of town. The staff has always been friendly. You can walk or row across to the beach, which I think is private to the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in the chalet and were very pleased. One room has the sleeper sofa, wing back chair, TV, kitchen table and chairs, small refrigerator and microwave and the other room has the king size bed and with a door out to a little deck. The bathroom separates the two room with the toilet and shower on one size and the sink on the other. We really like this set up since it's nice to be able to move around without disturbing your spouse.

There are little things that could be done such as providing in room hair dryers and toiletries. Only soap is provided.

The pool and outdoor hot tub were lovely but keep in mind, this hotel is ideal for children and if you prefer adults only - you will be disappointed.

But we found it to be a great location since it was only about a 20 minute walk to town and was a great location to cycle from. Both Wells and Kennebunkport are close and had concerts.

We found the front desk staff incredibly nice and very responsive.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2008

My husband and I decided to go to Maine for a little getaway on Aug 29 and 30. We wanted to stay in Ogunquit. I booked this hotel at the last moment , based on an ad in the Ogunquit travel guide. I was told over the phone that there were two rooms available for Friday and Saturday night of Labor day weekend. One was a smoking room and the other a honeymoon suite. I chose the honeymoon suite because it sonded like a nicer room. We arrived at the hotel and checked in. We were given a key and were told the room was near the indoor pool. We were shocked to see where the room was located, and the condition of the suite, when we opened the door. It smelled musty, the rug was old and dirty, the bed lumpy looking. Also we could hear a lot of road noise, and children playing above. I went right back to the front desk and asked for a refund. I was told by the young lady at the desk that we would have to speak to the manager. She gave us two keys to look at other rooms, that were not much better. The manager finally offered one of the cottages for only one night, because it was already booked for the next couple days. We checked out early the next morning. This resort is decieving in its ad. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank jtran1210
daughterofthesea, Assistant Manager at Colonial Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2008

Guest input is very valuable to us. We are so sorry that we didn't meet this guest's expectations.

We are not deceptive in our advertising. We have no need to deceive anyone into trying us. We are called a resort and have been for more than 30 years because we have various recreational opportunities for our guests such as Indoor/Outdoor Pools and Hot Tubs, Game Room with pool table and video games, Tennis Court, Rowboats, as well as use of our dock on the Tidal River if you have your own watercraft.

If you are thinking of "resort" as in "5-star-all-inclusive", that is not us at all and we never claim to be such.

As far as that specific room, the exact location, description, and pictures of the interior are represented on our website. I remember that it was a pretty quick conversation, to make their reservation, and I clearly described the room as our Style 1 Honeymoon Suite so that she could freely look on our website to see what and where it was. I'm sure if the guest had inquired about the location we would have happily told her; that is a very popular room and we have nothing to hide.

The carpet is 2 years old and it is not dirty, but has a few quarter-size stains which remain despite the fact that we have shampooed the carpet many times this season to try to tackle them. As far as the complaint about mustiness, we have in fact checked and double-checked that room and the fact is that any coastal area is humid and since the windows in that building are very energy-efficient, when the room is all closed up tight prior to use, someone with special sensitivities may think it is musty while the average person will not notice a thing. We have deep-cleaned the room as a result of this particular complaint.

For this guest we did give them a cottage at the same price as the smaller room, and we also did not obligate them to stay since they weren't happy, despite our standard policy of no refunds for early departure.

Reviewed August 22, 2008

We were to stay for two nights. The first night we found blood stains on the sleeper sofa and could not / would not sleep on it. ... The second night we woke up at 2am with BED BUGS crawling on us. We were all HORRIFIED!!!!! We threw all of our belongings on the top of our car and had to wait until 7am before we could get a hold of any manager. Then, the manager had the audacity to say that we would only be refunded for one night. He also made us wait another hour before he would get someone to look at the room. Our room number was 108 in the suites. I recommend that you do NOT go to this "resort".......

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank BEDBUGHELL

We are very sorry for their unfortunate stay at our establishment. Please know that we have never had an incident such as this in my entire employment, which began in 1995. I have literally not seen a bedbug in Maine, or in my life at all. As soon as I got into work the next day I heard of the situation and immediately I made sure that they hadn’t been charged a penny. I was sad to find that I wouldn’t be able to speak with them face to face because I have complete empathy; it must have been horrible. We took immediate action to dispose of the affected materials and to exterminate the problem. Since we ourselves were so horrified, we actually have kept the room totally out of use for the whole rest of the season since their stay, despite the fact that there has been no trace whatsoever. Keeping the room unavailable for rental has lost us quite a bit of money but we would certainly rather lose money than have any of our guests ever have to go through what they went through.

After researching the latest news on the Internet, we know that there have been an increasing number of cases of bedbugs in Mass. and NY and those states are where the greater portion of our clientele come from. There are also articles on the web about having trouble with these little guys in dormitories at colleges lately.

The good news is that bedbugs and bedbug eggs die when they are exposed to cold for too long and those buildings are completely winterized and shut down every year so with no heat, if there is even a lingering egg, it will die. We deep clean all the rooms when we open and when we close, and we will pay even more attention than usual because of this incident.

In conclusion, we are good people who want guests to be happy and comfortable; this is an isolated incident, and we took care of the situation immediately. I wrote the guest a heartfelt letter of apology, and while I don’t expect that they will be back, we would love the chance to show them that we are a clean, hospitable establishment and that staying here is usually very pleasant.

Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed at the Colonial Village Resort for three nights from Aug. 12-15th. Myself, my husband, and teen daughter stayed in the Honeymoon suite, room 36. I choose this room because it had an ocean view and a kitchenette.

I had contacted many other hotels so I knew that the rate of $217.00 per night was about average for mid-August in this town.

The room was o.k. for us but I would have been disappointed if it had been my honeymoon. The kitchenette was not very well equipped the furnishings were dated and the carpet had stains on it. The bathroom was in need of a make-over with the grout around the tube stained and yucky. The promised Jacuzzi tube was there but the jets didn't work.

The staff at the CVR were very pleasant and friendly from check in to check out and all of the little questions in between.

Others have commented about the continental breakfast, yes it is limited, coffee, juice, cereal but the best donuts I've ever had. It contributed to the holiday feeling eating donuts for breakfast.

The outdoor pool was chilly even in mid-August but it was huge and had a great view down to the ocean. Lots of chairs outside by the pool. The indoor pool was small but a nicer temperature. We enjoyed using the row boats at high tide to go to the beach. At low tide you can walk through the river to the beach.

All in all this is an older mom and pop style motel not really a resort as the name implies.

I would stay here again because for me the view of the ocean is so very important along with the proximity to the center of town. I'm sure for the money though there are better rooms to be had if you don't need to see the ocean.

If I go back I think I'll skip the kitchenette as we really only used it for one meal in the 3 days we were there, I'd just get a room with a fridge. Had a great meal at Oarweeds at Perkins cove and another great meal at Maxwell's Pub in the center of town. The pub has happy hour beer specials from 4-5 pm.

I think we will skip going there in August because the rates are just to high for the quality of hotels. Early and late season are so much better a deal.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 23, 2008

This will be a long one -so here we go...

We just got back from a stay at the colonial resort from 7/13/08 to
7/18/08.
First what we were looking for:
We have 2 small children ages 2 and 5, so an indoor pool was a must. Location close to Ogunquit beach near the Tidal river was a plus since my children are a little small for the ocean itself but love playing in the tidal pools at low tide. A kitchenette was a plus. I wanted to pay under $200 a night.

We chose the colonial resort for 2 reasons:
1: Other members of my family had rented a 2 bedroom unit for 4 nights the same period we were going. (the major reason we booked)
2: It met all of the requirements above.

I use tripadvisor all the time, and quite honestly if it were not for
reason number 1 above, iIprobably would have booked elsewhere.

-on to the review.

-location-
-very good

It is located between ogunquit center/beach and the footbridge.
In the morning (I get up early-6am) i would make my coffee,put it in a travel mug take a right out of the parking lot and walk to the footbridge(10 minute walk) and had coffee on the beach.

When we went to ogunquit beach during the day-a left out of the parking lot-, we would drop off the kids and all supplies and a few adults, set up on the beach (there is 30 minute free parking) -someone would drive back to the hotel and walk back to save on parking-about a 15 to 20 minute walk to ogunquit beach(near the norseman) from the hotel. It saved
quite a bit of money-parking is $4 an hour in the beach lot, we went to the beach for 5 days and stayed at least 5 hours.

The motel is located on the tidal river. nice view from the grounds, great view from the pool deck. there is a nice dock where we would sit and catch crabs and snails.

(on a side note, I got slaughtered by the no-see-ums-tiny flies also known as sand fleas. they are pretty much little mosquitoes that hurt a lot more but cause much smaller welts. I would bring some bug repellant, although my wife was hardly bit at all.)

-hotel itself-
-good-

first of all, all facilities are old. I dont care what they say about a 2006 renovation. we rented a 2 queen bed unit with stove and fridge (room 19). My other relatives rented a 2 bedroom unit with
stove and fridge.

-the room-
-good-

The stove, fridge,toilet seat,air conditioner (barely worked never told the desk-wasn't a huge problem) tv all buildings, inside and out, including the outdoor pool looked like they were original from the 1980's.-not broken down , just old. the 2 bedromm unit looked the same except the air conditioner
was great.No vcr or dvd players

All furniture in my unit however looked very new. this is what ups the rating from "ok" to good. I looked at the mattress and box spring, they looked brand new. As did the table and chairs, the pullout sofa looked a little older but in excellent condition. the fridge was not a full sized unit but very usable. the stove was from 1970 but actually worked better than my $1000 range at home.

-outdoor pool-
-fantastic-
again, from about 1970-but "huge", fantastic deck, and about the first 15 feet near the stairs was about 2.5-3 feet deep-great for the small kids. They also let you use floats in the pool, which is great, we have been at some hotels that ban such devices.
there are some tables and chairs around the pool and a great view of the river.

-indoor pool-
-good-
-much newer than the outdoor (at least it looked that way), a little small, but good enough for the kids in case of rain-never used it.
there are indoor showers.

-game room-
-ok-
a few video games along with a pool table thrown into a garage, the kids had fun there for an hour or so.

-tennis court-
-bad-
I dont play tennis, but the kids attempted to hit a few balls with the equipment left around. not kept up at all, weeds growing in the court itself, usable, but even to a non player i thought it was a mess.

-wifi-
-ok-
We were right across from the office and could barely get a signal. the best signal was in the office or on the pool deck outside of the office. They should really invest in an outdoor router for a few hundred dollars that will cover the grounds.

-breakfast-
-good-
coffee, cold cereal, juice,milk, and great donuts.
nice touch, exactly what I expected

-cleanliness-
-very good-

The fridge and stove were spotless. the bathroom was clean. The beds and sheets were spotless-like new-. The staff vacuumed the carpet every day (I was on the pool deck across the room so i could see what they were doing before we went to the beach) and mopped the tile floor, I think the sheets were changed every day, I am not sure-but it certainly looked like it.

The pool was checked,cleaned and vacuumed every morning.

-staff-
-very good-
Very nice and polite., very helpful, excellent job cleaning the rooms. My wife left her keys at the hotel, we called, they found them and they mailed them back.

-price paid-
around $180 a night-
pretty good for a efficiency unit with two beds and an indoor.outdoor pool--and i looked at EVERY hotel that met our requirements in ogunquit and wells and priced them all.

In conclusion, great location and outstanding staff made me glad I stayed here. If I wanted to pay between $240 and $350
a night, there are newer hotels in the area that could meet every thing I wanted, but I didn't want to pay that.
For the money, great staff, great location, and pool-I would consider staying here again.

If the management reads this, give your staff a gold star, get an outdoor router,change the toilet seat and air conditioner in room 19,start to modernize the tv units(dvd player?), do something about the tennis court.

but in the end, great vacation and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank gjaBoston_metrowest