“A little beat but good price good location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colonial Village Resort

Colonial Village Resort
Ranked #36 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
potsdam NY
“A little beat but good price good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place was OK- we booked a SUITE and it was good for us four ladies for a reuinion. The price was fair for one night as most places in the season want a two day stay. The pools were fantastic... at low tide we walked right to the beach from the property. There were free row boats to use was a plus. Right on the trolley line and an easy walk downtown and to the beaches. I would stay here again. Shower HOT and great pressure. Bed was so so and the bedrooms nicer than the rest. Bathroom needs a good deep mold/grout cleaning.

Room Tip: If you like to swim...two pools LARGE outdoor and nice indoor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Attleboro, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have stayed here 4 times in the past 3 years. Rooms, pools, and Beach access rock, Be clear this is not a resort. No Internet in many rooms. Poor lighting in the parking lots. Not a resort feel.But it works for us. The desk staff this time were nice. when we stayed earlier in the month they were surly. You can do better in Ogunquit Wells, their prices are high. The upside is they always have openings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank soaringspirit
Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The office personnel were helpful from the moment we arrived until check out time. The indoor pool and spa tub were not new, but both were clean and water was nice and warm. We didn't get to try the outdoor pool. Our room was very clean, bed was comfortable, flatscreen tv. A wonderful surprise was the availability of free rowboats! Kayaks are 10.00 to rent. (singles only. they don't have 2-person kayaks.We paddled around the crystal clear water the afternoon we arrived, seeing crabs and tiny fish jumping! We had a relaxing paddle (app 10 minutes long) to get to the uncrowded section of beautiful beach the next morning. No walking or driving required! The breakfast choices were fruit, cereal, donuts, juice, and instant oatmeal. I suggest they buy some yogurt and bagels and people will be much happier about the breakfast! The town is an easy walk. Walked to Caffe Prego, had a delicious Saturday night dinner.The place itself, due to the PERFECT LOCATION, friendly staff and quality amenities mean we will definitely return.

Room Tip: We were in room 35 (one queen size bed), second room from the end, so we had a beautiful ocean view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BOSTON, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We booked 2 nights as a very last minute stay. We picked the hotel based on price and proximity to beach & downtown. I read reviews after we booked and was nervous we made a mistake, but I have to say, I found the negative reviews misleading.
We got a newly renovated 2 bedroom (queen) with a microwave, fridge, and flat screen tv. The room was clean and enough space for (4) 2 adults, 1 baby and 6 year old. The grounds were clean as was the lobby / breakfast area.
The pool was large, but could use some maintance. I think they would benefit by adding additional shade / umbrellas and lounge chairs. The water was chilly, but clean.
The continental breakfast was a limited, but the donuts were very fresh and yummy.
All and all, I was pleasantly pleased. I would suggest for those on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Montreal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our family has been coming here on and off for 40 years. I had not been in 20 years and decided to give it a try with my wife, son and his girlfriend. First the good: the beach access across the river at low tide to the nicest part of the Ogunquit beach is certainly the main draw. So are the row boats that are fun. The state of the greenery is well maintained, except around the tennis court which is overgrown with weeds around the perimeter; come on guys and gals! It would only take a couple of hours to make it look fresh! Now the not so good....the pool fence, gate, etc. looks like it was built and painted by the lowest-level amateur on the planet! And covering the perimeter of the pool wall with a green plastic netting looks.....AWFUL! Breakfast....donuts and little cereal boxes. Enough said. Motel decor? Circa 1980's or earlier but at least ours was kept clean. The bathroom door handles and fridge are definitely 1960's. BBQ's? A nice touch if someone would clean the grills or replace the one with the rusted out holes in the bottom. When I asked for a steel brush for the grill, the reaction I got was a somewhat blank 'what's that?' stare. I even offered to buy one until my wife broughtt me back to my senses. Then an employee came along later with a plastic bristle floor brush and did her best to spread the ash around....too funny! Did we still have fun? Absolutely, but it's sad that the place has dropped so far in class. The original owners would be sad as well. I noticed one review response saying they've recently spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. On what? Probably on the facade of the front office building I'm guessing. Here's a suggestion: $200 to replace a BBQ, $40 for some BBQ brushes, $1000 for some hedge plants to replace that awful green plastic around the pool, $100 for someone to weed the tennis court, a few thousand to rip the sorry rotten fence out around the pool and replace it with a white plastic fence. Until you do little things like that, Colonial Village, I am believing your trying to unload the motel. Last point - if the management had pride in the place,they wouldn't let people hang all their beach towels along the railing. What a sight....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Ogunquit hotels

Windsor Locks, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Colonial the third week of July and it was not full. We should have taken that as a hint. The room we had was so musty smelling we had to keep our windows open for our entire stay. The linens are so outdated. The shower & toilet area is so small and need to be upgraded. The toilet seat & tub were very worn. The tv was in such a small area with two straight back chairs for a family of four. They advertised wifi but it did not work from our room. The walk to the beach was rather long. The only good thing was the view at high tide. We will won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have been going to the Colonial for well over 20 years. First with my parents and then as an adult with my own child. I have really seen it decline over the years but this is the first year that I have thought about not going back. It has got so rundown. It is really sad. In its heyday the Colonial was just fabulous and the prices were so good. The pool is so sad. Tiles all chipped, I never saw anyone all week check the water. There were not enough umbrellas. This is a big change from previous years. It was so bad, that people were buying beach umbrellas at the store and sticking them into the middle of the tables just to get some shade. Air conditioner was so loud. Furniture old. It just makes me sad. I have had so many good memories. The competition is too fierce in that area for them to let the property go like that. There were hardly any cars in the lot and it is the 3rd week of July for goodness sake. Come on Colonial get with it. I know you can do it!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends