“Welcome back to 1975!!!”
Review of Norseman Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Norseman Resort
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Letter I wrote to the manager:
This past Sunday evening, I had the opportunity to stay at your resort for the first time. This will be my twenty-eighth year vacationing in Ogunquit, and it was my first time staying at the Norseman.

I reviewed your website and made a reservation using your on-line system. I was notified the next day that the room I requested was no longer available. I then called your resort to see if anything was available for the night of 8/2. The man on the phone told me of a queen bed room above Huckleberry’s restaurant that was available. He told me the room specs, and I asked if any complaints had been issued regarding this type of room, to which he answered “no.” I pre-paid for the room in full as this is your policy.

When I arrived on Sunday to find a room that was tired and old, I was extremely unhappy. The bedspread and drapes were dirty and at least twenty years in age, and there was bird feces stuck to the sliding door. I went into the old bathroom to find fixtures that were older than my thirty years of age. The shower? It was smaller than the shower stall that I used in my freshman dormitory. As a runner who is physically fit and thin, at five feet two inches and size 4, I felt too large for this miniature shower. My boyfriend exclaimed that he had showered in nicer facilities at campsites, and I have to agree with him. This room was overpriced at a non-refundable $190 a night, and had I stayed longer than one evening, I would have refused to stay in that room. The person on the phone never told me that the bathroom had a small shower stall only, which I feel should have been disclosed.

In addition, we had to pay an extra $9 to park a second car, and were told that we had to remove all cars from the hotel by 11 AM the day of checkout. Although I can understand this, I have never encountered such a strict policy at any other hotel in town, and I have stayed at quite a few. Your ocean view rooms are no excuse to charge someone such an exorbitant price for a room that has not been updated since the 1970’s.

To compare, the Juniper Hill Inn on Main Street had a rate of $199 a night, which includes up to 2 cars per room. Also, they allow guests to leave their cars in their lot on that day of checkout until 5 PM, knowing that their guests want to enjoy their last day in Ogunquit past the checkout time. The Juniper Hill Inn is a resort that has been around for some time yet recently updated all of its rooms with new linens, furniture, and granite bathrooms. I kicked myself for not staying there after witnessing your dirty old rooms.

Also, I tried your “resort” because your photos on-line showed rooms which appeared to be up to date for the most part. I don’t know where these rooms are, because no photos of room that looked like the one I stayed in were published on your site. As a marketing specialist, I can understand why, too. I have stayed at various hotels in town- The Hartwell House, The Anchorage, Gorges Grant, Juniper Hill, The Terrace, and the Grand Hotel. All of them are much better than your “resort” as you call it- and two of these hotels also offer ocean views.

I suggest that you stop using false advertising for these Sail Loft rooms and immediately update them to fit the needs of travelers today. I spend ten weeks a year traveling for work, and I have never, ever in my eight years of spending countless nights in hotels for both work and pleasure witnessed something as disgusting as room 420 at the Norseman.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank nichols_kristin
Ogunquithotelier, manager at Norseman Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2009

Dear Ms. Kristinl:

Thank you for recently staying at the Norseman Resort and taking the time to write regarding your accommodations. I sincerely apologize for your room choice not meeting your expectations. We do have a variety of rooms types available and the prices range from $190-$340 during peak season. Your reservation was made on July 22, 2009 and although we did not have your first choice of a Gangplank room, we did have alternate rooms other than Sailoft available.

We are very clear in describing our Sailoft rooms as small, economy rooms which are best suited for the budget minded traveler who may otherwise be unable to vacation directly on the beach. The rooms are freshly painted, the carpet and the mattresses are new; and the furnishings are clean and comfortable. We are located on the beach and unfortunately, cannot direct the seagulls as to where they defecate. The exterior areas are cleaned daily and I apologize for the seagull dropping on your sliding glass door.

All of our rooms are equipped with shower stalls and it is not unorthodox for many hotels to have showers without tubs in their bathrooms.

Logistically, we are only able to accommodate one vehicle per room on our property. If you were to visit us during a period, when we are not at full capacity, we would be happy to accommodate a second vehicle and allow you to remain parked in our lot after check out time to enjoy a day at the beach.

It is not our intention to misrepresent our Sailoft rooms. Yes, they are small - but they are clean and functional and offer an option to guests who may not otherwise be able to afford a vacation on Ogunquit Beach.

Once again, I apologize for our Sailoft room failing to meet your expectations and hope that you will offer us the opportunity to host your next visit to ogunquit in a room more conducive to your lifestyle.

Norseman Resort

David Scibilia

Reviewed June 14, 2009

will return asap simple, clean ,close to attractions and ocean . a great place to unwind or party.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lubec1313
Reviewed May 29, 2009

The weather wasn't the greatest, but the staff and service was excellent. The ocean is so great anytime of year, regardless of the season or temperature. We will definitely return to this location again and again! Thanks to everyone at the Norseman and the quaint little diner - "Huckleberry's". Great home cooked food at a good price.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CandCDad
Reviewed May 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed here and were very happy!
We got a 3rd floor room and the deck looked directly out on the amazing Atlantic Ocean!
The staff was super nice as well. No pool and parking is a little tight. but overall a great place.
There is lots of fun little shops and GREAT places to eat(Lobster pound, Amore)
Avoid the hotel restrauant..there are MANY better choices.
Also try the trolley-it stops just steps from this hotel and goes all the way down to the Marginal way

Maine....Nothing better!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lestersmommy
Reviewed May 15, 2009

On Sat. May 9, 2009, we arrived at the Norseman Resort and was greeted by the manager, Larry Littlefied who was so gracious and so helpful during our stay. The room was perfect overlooking the ocean with everything so clean and neat.

We got married on the Marginal Way with the sun almost setting. It was a dream come true. I want to thank the staff for all that they had done for us and would recommend this hotel to anyone who was thinking of making a memorable weekend come true.....
Thank you from our hearts.... Mr. & Mrs. Dennis Grenier, Danvers, Mass.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank custombridalgowns
Reviewed May 3, 2009

During our Spring vacation we decided to go to Maine last minute and wanted something on the ocean. We went online and found the Norseman Resort in Ogunquit. I called and was thrilled to get a room with two queen beds and including breakfast for $112. It was perfect - outside our door was a patio so kids toys, etc could dry. Also low tide had canal - great for finding sea friends. Also had coupons for dinner in their restaurant. A little disappointed - food ok once they got my order right.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Mom056Vermont
Reviewed August 13, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Norseman for a week in August. As other reviewers have noted, the hotel itself is showing its age and is rather average, but the location cannot be beat if you are looking to spend most of your time on the beach -- it was great to be only seconds away from our room to change, rest, or use the bathroom; or to just walk out the door for walks on the beach in the mornings.

The complex itself is organized like a square with an open air parking lot in the middle and individual doors to each unit facing the lot. All rooms/balconies face outwards. There are no main gathering spaces except the lobby.

We stayed in a 2nd floor room in The Dunes section with an amazing view of the beach and the dunes; I would highly recommend requesting this section. Our balcony was communal with no privacy from adjacent units, though each room was allocated two lounge chairs and a small table.

The room itself was showing its age through was very clean. There were two double beds (with scratchy bedding), a round table with 2 chairs, and an armchair. There was plenty of drawer space between the TV armoire and the low dresser. The closet was average size, although there were only 10 hangers which could not be detached from the rod which made hanging clothes and swimming suits for drying a challenge.

The bathroom was large but very rustic and cottagey. There is one sink on top of a giant old counter (lots of counter space but no shelves or drawers). Bathing amenities consist of a tiny shower stall. Toiletries are also very basic. You are provided with a hair dryer and lots of towels (in our efforts to be more environmentally friendly we dutifully hung up our towels as an indication that they were not to be replaced, as instructed by the sign in the bathroom; unfortunately they don't seem to follow their word as every day all our towels were still replaced!).

Each room also has a coffee maker, small fridge, ice bucket, TV with full cable, but no safe. The wall-mounted air conditioner unit worked fine but be warned that it can be rather noisy (we often turned it off at night). Also note that the walls are very thin -- we could often hear muffled conversations from the adjoining rooms. And when it rained (unfortunately rather often!), the tapping of the rain on the roof was quite loud, though we got used to it!

A nice touch was free WiFi -- you are provided with a passcode that is valid for 48 hours and they happily provide you with a new one once it expires. It was convenient to be able to surf the internet for last-minute vacation and restaurant ideas.

Parking is not a problem. It can be difficult if it is later in the evening, although they will guarantee you a spot. One night all the spots were taken (even though there is supposed to be a maximum of 1 car per room), so the front desk gave us a pass for the public lot which is only steps away. Because the main public beach entrance is in front of the hotel, during the day they ensure that spots are taken only by Norseman guests by checking that you have a hotel parking pass before you can enter the lot which is a nice touch.

Besides being right on the beach, The Norseman is only a 5 minute walk to the shops of Main Street and Shore Road, and about a 10 minute walk to the Marginal Way. The trolley stops right outside the hotel (it runs only until about 8:30pm).

We had breakfast a couple of mornings at Huckleberry's which was fine if nothing special. There is also a walk-up window counter for burgers and other snacks, and another restaurant/bar -- both of which we did not try. You can also rent beach chairs and umbrellas for $10 each per day (return by 5pm).

If I return to Ogunquit I likely will stay at another resort with nicer amenities, though I would recommend this hotel if you are planning on spending your holiday on the beach, and are happy with no frills accomodations.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple