“Our Return to Neptune was not as great of an experience”
Review of The Neptune Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
The Neptune Inn
Ranked #34 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Bloomingdale, New York
“Our Return to Neptune was not as great of an experience”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We traveled here last Fall anticipating a repeat experience to last year. This time we had an oceanview room. Last year we had a river view room. I found several things unappealing in our ocean view room: The mattresses were extremely soft and spongey. The bathroom was the worse part of the room. It had an unusual entrance down a hallway and the colors were dated, definitely 70's colors. The medicine cabinet was old, the interior very rusty (disgusting). The shower stall lacked a place to put soap or shampoo. It reminded me of the outdoor showers you find at State Campsites.
There was a nice flat screen TV in the room. But one of the lamps was burned out on the dresser. Another concerning fact about the room is it is sunken in below the level of the porch so there are steps you need to navigate to go into or out of the room. Just make sure you leave a light on if you go out after dark!
The porch was very nice in that it is covered so you can be out there rain or shine. You can see part of the surf and the margical walkway and watch people come and go. But there were lots of telephone wires interfering with the view.
The price of our room did not seem so great this time as it seemed like we got worse than what we paid for. Sorry about the bad evaluation but a lot of these problems should be taken care of.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Poisidon, Manager at The Neptune Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. We’re sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations. Comments like this enable us to address issues to ensure quality service in the future. We are always making improvements in our hotel and minor repairs as needed. This season all our mattress sets have been replaced throughout the hotel and carpeting has been replaced in most rooms. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lima, Peru
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I spent 2 days in The Neptune Inn on the beach, Ogunquit, located in a sandy island conected to the mainland by two small bridges. We enjoyed the great ocean view from our room and were nicely atended by the hotel workers. We walked the famous Marginal Way Oceanview Path and saw the beautiful houses along it. At the end we arrived to Perkins Cove where we had a nice lunch with typical food and a great California white wine. It was a sunny and beautiful day. The next day we went to other towns of the area with nice houses in the forests. I strongly recommend a visit to the area in summer and beginnin of fall.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms
Canterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed October 17, 2012

It still smells of stale cigarette smoke upon entering the lobby. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable we have slept in. We were told the bedroom would be small, but the bathroom was tinyyyyyyyyyyyy. There was barely room to turn around! We were woken up with knocking and then our door opened our first night there because someone heard water running and they wanted to know if was coming from our room. I though we would try it since the price seemed reasonable, but we would have been happier staying at the The Anchorage on Long Sand on York Beach where we usually stay. Oh well, live and learn.

Waldo, Maine
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stumbled upon the Neptune when we went to find the beach. What drew us in was the price listed outside, very low considering the location. It is right on the beach. I cannot even imagine how much it would be if the inn was in another area, such as the Florida coast. The rooms, I say rooms because we checked out the riverside and the oceanside.While the oceanside did have an ocean view, there was a lot of parking lot view, also. We chose the riverside.
The rooms were exceptionally clean, but are definetely in need of some upgrading, rusty hinges on the doors, etc. The bathrooms are small, my only critique of them is there is no heater or vent in them. The water was a little hard to regulate, also, turned very cold right in the middle of my shower, yikes! My other bugaboo was the no phone idea. I feel a phone in the room is there for the patron to use, in case of emergency or needing more towels, etc. I have never stayed in a motel/hotel and been bothered by lots of calls, unless I ask for a wake-up call or someone who is traveling with me is in a different room. While there is a lot of early morning traffic noise, we still had a great night's sleep, beds very comfortable. Staff was pleasant. All in all, a pleasant find that I would probably stay at again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, Tennessee
Reviewed October 7, 2012

clean as I guess they can get it, it is a very old hotel. Linoleum around tub/shower area was moldy and you could tell it had been pieced where it had been replaced. Shower pressure was excellent so I think alot of water is getting out of the shower, keeping the floor wet, causing rotting and mildew, thus linoleum needed replacing. A clean floor in bathroom would have been nice. Bathroom sink area is painted plywood, nothing fancy. Like I said, a very old hotel. I am guessing from the 1940's? Towels, washclothes and handtowels are rough and thin. They give you 2 towels, washclothes and 2 handtowels. But since they are so small and thin, I asked for extras to be left and the lady from housekeeping was so nice to oblige. Carpet had a few stains on it, not as bad as some I have seen but needed to be cleaned. 2 double beds that were acceptable. Really low and just standard hotel grade. They tell you upfront on reservsation confirmation that code does not allow coffee pots and toasters. So, you cannot have coffee in your room but they provide complimentary coffee in the morning in the lobby. There are no microwaves, not even in the lobby, so you cannot fix yourself a hot cup of tea in the evening. There is a little frig in the room, this was nice for keeping water and little snacks. Thank goodness they had a little table with lamp so you can plug up the computer. They had no WIFI but we had our mobile internet connection so that was not a problem. One of the downsides is that there is no parking, yoiu must park in the public lot across the street, but the hotel covers the cost. Norseman Hotel next door has all the parking that you will see. Also, there are no luggage carts. No carts and pulic parking makes loading/unloading difficult. Two story hotel, no elevators, you pay extra for a room with a porch...which is a long porch you share with everyone on that floor, no private porch. Room keys are actual keys, not the cards, so, understandably, they charge if you lose the key. In addition to the door handle, room doors only have a one sided key deadbolt, no way to make sure any hotel personnel with key does not walk in on you. If I had been there by myself, I would have placed a suitcase up next to the door! Scale of 1(low) to 5 (high)..I would say location is a 5, it is right on the beach and I did not see too many places with such a perfect location and great beach access...but a very busy area. It is also very close to alot of restaurants and shops. Walls are thin, can hear slight noises in next room or overhead. But i would have to say 2 on hotel ammenities, cleanliness, bed comfort. So, I give it a 3 overall.

Room Tip: if carrying luggage up stairs is a problem for you, request a downstairs room.
Brewster, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a few places in Ogunquit and we found our favorite place at the Neptune. It is right at the beach, about 3 minutes walking distance to town and the trolley is right outside if you are lazy and want to get a ride to Perkins cove or to some other destination. Rooms are clean and comfortable and for us the price was a bargain being so close to the ocean. Our room had two double beds, with a small fridge and a great air conditioner. There was a huge deck and other guests stored their rafts, kayaks and beach stuff. Free parking was right across the street and we stored our beach stuff In the car and when we decided to go to beach we just went to trunk and got our beach stuff and within a few minutes were on the beach. Honestly, we parked the car when we arrived and in the 4 days we were there we only drove our car once, and that was because I needed some special food because of my diet. Place is great.

• Stayed August 2012
Woodstock
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a stay in Maine at the Neptune Inn, and we give it an A-plus! It's a wonderful value for a hotel that's located practically on the beach. In fact, it seemed to be the most reasonably priced of all the hotels in Ogunquit, especially given its terrific location. We have to emphasize that this is not a fancy hotel with all the bells and whistles. Instead, it's a cozy place that may not be "up-scale", but is definitely "down home", and very comfortable. There is free morning coffee and free newspapers in the lobby. The rooms were clean, some with beautiful river views, and all with balconies. The atmosphere was a little bit like one of those old-fashioned Maine summer homes, and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more friendly, as well as knowledgeable. This is a hotel that has been in Ogunquit for a long time, and it's evident in the way that they treat their guests. For example, we needed to make a scheduled room change during our stay, and the staff took care of everything smoothly. We can't praise the Neptune and its staff enough---they really made our vacation special. As we said, "A-plus". Pay them a visit!

Room Tip: Try to give a second-floor room with a river view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple