“Not at all what I had expected”
Review of Riverside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Riverside Motel
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Not at all what I had expected”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and had high hopes for this motel. As a former local returning to visit my ailing mom, I booked for 8 nights, believing I had found a gem in terms of price and location. When I arrived my room had a really musty smell, and I called and visited the front desk to request a change. There appeared to be a leak around the sink that may have been a cause and told the staff this. I took literally days and numerous phone calls and visits to the front desk for me to get any response, which basically was to live with it or leave. Only by continuing complaints did I finally secure a room change on maybe the 5th night. The conversation with the owner revolved around how deeply he cared for his business, but I have to say you could have fooled me given how many days and requests it took to even get him on the phone!

Walls were paper thin, meaning that ALL sounds (if you get my drift) day and night permeated through, and on numerous occasions I was kept awake by late night arrivals and early morning departures. Having said this the location is spectacular. You must prepared to deal with the less than attentive staff and owner, and noisy living accommodations if you want to take advantage of the location and price. It was clearly a take it or leave it proposition, cloaked in platitudes about how well this place is looked after. I definitely would not recommend or return to this motel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank jkp250
Geoff S, Owner at Riverside Motel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear jkp250,
We are sorry to hear of your disappointment today.
We did respond immediately, having maintenance repair the leaky faucet. If you remember,the front desk responded to you, of course, but, what you wanted for a response was an immediate room change, which unfortunately was not possible, because we were sold out. We were eventually able to move you to another room after 3 nights. It was the very first time something became available, because we are always sold out in September. We are really surprised that you were so disappointed (actually, because both end units that you were in are two of our repeaters' more popular locations).
We have learned that some guests simply aren't comfortable sleeping about 6 feet above sea level, 100 feet from the ocean harbor. It definitely is not the driest location in the state.
Hopefully, you will reconsider us in the future, and possibly stay in one of our balcony rooms, which many people favor more than the lower level.
Best wishes for a better New Year.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Ballston Spa, New York
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Second year at the Riverside Motel. Obviously we came back, because we enjoyed our first visit. This year was no disappointment. Other reviewers' have said it all, 'clean, peaceful, and spectacular views'. What's the saying - - - location, location, location. Not to mention a great staff! No doubt newer, more 'robust' accommodations are available in Ogunquit and the price will reflect that choice. All that said, I still think the Riverside is hard to beat.

Room Tip: We have stayed in Building B, second floor, mid-building. Gives a broad view of the Cove and the oc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marsha M
Geoff S, Owner at Riverside Motel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you Marsha M for sharing your experience with T/A.
Our entire staff appreciates your kind comments,
Best wishes,
Crystal Lake, IL
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was our first time at Riverside and we would not hesitate to return. The view from our room was nothing short of spectacular. It was what you picture that Fall in New England should look like. We have stayed at two other places in Ogunquit in the past and neither can compare to our experience here. While this motel sort of takes you back in time, the room was spotless and the continental breakfast was far superior to what one finds in the chain establishments. It was nice to be only a footbridge away from the Marginal Way and Pelican Cove. Don't know of any reason to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GrandpaTuba
Geoff S, Owner at Riverside Motel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you Grandpa Tuba for your review,
We are glad you enjoyed your stay so much. Our entire staff appreciates your kind comments,
We hope to see you again next year,
Watertown,Ct
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My mom and I have been staying at Riverside each and every year.No smoking on the grounds,and so clean,and excellent staff. I will keep going back,too beacuse it's so peacefull.
We really like to watch the fishing boats right out from our room,you get a good feeling of the
job of the fisherman.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ellen Y
Geoff S, Owner at Riverside Motel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you Ellen Y for reviewing us for the T/A community.
Our entire staff appreciates your kind comments.
Best wishes for a warm winter,
Gansevoort, New York
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My Husband and I, and Our son and his Fiance stayed in the room next to ours Sept. 11th - Sept. 18, 2012. While the rooms were a bit smaller than we are used to, this motel was spotless, with very helpful and friendly staff. The view from our deck was beautiful with the sun rising each morning before our eyes, shining on the beautiful harbor viewed right from our deck. The Continental breakfast was well stocked and opened promptly at 7am each morning. I did miss having a coffee pot in our room as I am an early riser, though decided to take pics of the sunrise instead, a nice variation from my routine. The rooms are just right for couples only, thus it is beautifully quiet, while being a stones throw from the busyiness of Perkins Cove, which you can view from your deck. I did have to buy myself some longer, softer pillows, as we had a King bed and the pillows were single sized in length, and not soft enough for my tender head. I just loved staying here, would highly recommend it for couples and definitely will return. Do wish I got to meet Geoff, who was so very helpful throughout this past Winter as we planned and booked our rooms, as I would have like to thank him personally.

Room Tip: If you don't want stairs and you want to drive right up to your room, be sure to pick Balcony ro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rita778
Geoff S, Owner at Riverside Motel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you Rita778 for sharing your visit with T/A,
Our entire staff appreciates your kind comments. They love to hear the word "spotless" so often. That is our number one goal; Clean.
Thank you also for helping to clarify to the readers one of the most counter-intuitive facts about the Riverside. There are no stairways necessary to reach the "balcony" level (top level), as it is actually at "street level". The "lawn level" (lower level) rooms do require the use of stairs (as do the rooms in the 1874 building). People who want to avoid the stairs should try to reserve the Balcony (upper) level.
Thank you also for the best collection of pictures that we have been given in quite some time!

Sorry that we didn't meet personally, hope we do the next time.
Wishing you all a warm winter!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our last night in Maine was at the Riverside and it was a perfect place to wind down and relax before the long drive home. Our room had been updated with laminate wood flooring which made the room appear larger. The back door leads you to a deck where you can sit, relax and enjoy the views. This motel is extremely quiet and clean. The shops, restaurants, trolley stop, and Marginal Way are a short walk away.I would not recommend bringing small children because there is no pool and activities for them not to mention the proximity of the water.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms has great views and no steps.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Virginiagirl_12
Geoff S, Owner at Riverside Motel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you Virginiagirl_12 for reviewing us for Trip Advisor.
We are very glad you enjoyed our "oasis from the stressful world".
Best wishes,
Westwood, New Jersey
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at the Riverside Motel for 2 nights before venturing up to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor. This place is a hidden gem, tucked away, but oh so close to Perkins Cove. You literally have to step outside your door and it is right in front of your eyes. The rooms are nice, clean and more than one needs to stay in such a beautiful vacation spot. The views from the balcony are spectacular and it was so nice just to be able to sit outside to have alittle wine & cheese before heading out for dinner. We ate lobster of course any chance we could. We ventured into Perkins Cove for dinner the first night and ate at the Drawbridge Lobster Pound. YUM! We both had the Lobster rolls, corn on the cob and cole slaw, they were delish! Both mornings we ventured over to the Cove Cafe for breakfast, Wonderful, 2 thumbs up! The second evening we went to Five O Shore Restaurant for a very comfortable and decadent dinner. The place was very busy and our entrees were, as expected, very good. Thanks Trip Advisor for helping once more to make out getaway great!

Room Tip: ask for the upper tier rooms!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rockinrah
Geoff S, Owner at Riverside Motel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you rockinrah for reviewing us for Trip Advisor.
Our entire staff appreciates you taking your time to mention how clean our property is.
Best wishes and happy travels,