“Cozy, Simple Motel Close to the Beach”

Footbridge Beach Motel
Ranked #27 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We stayed here as part of a long weekend trip. The weather was unusually cold with difficult and miserable driving conditions-- we arrived in the dark accompanied by icy rain and snow. This was a bit amusing/ironic since we were staying at a motel with beach access! But, after all, it was Maine!!! The receptionist was very pleasant and boy were we surprised to discover that Hotels.com had somehow messed up on the reservation we'd made through them the day before! The receptionist said not to worry, she would sort it out, and she did. This will make me think twice about using Hotels.com, though; suppose it had been a hotel in Europe--and a language we did not speak?

We were cold to the bone, but it did not take long for the heater in the room to warm the place up. I had deja vu with the room--its size and configuration made me recall that we'd probably stayed here years ago, but that the walls had been brown paneling at the time, and the curtains and rug brown too, perhaps. This time, though, the walls were painted a fresh light blue color with a bright print for the drapes and bedspreads. Someone had put some time into refurbishing the space. We were comfortable and slept well, and were also happy to have a little fridge with a freezer compartment so we could store the frozen lobster meat we were taking home with us. There was a microwave, too. The room seemed clean and bright. My only suggestion would be for some kind of water temperature regulator to be installed in the shower, as the water quickly shifted from comfortable to very hot and then to cold, evidently when the other guests used water at the same time. Speaking of the other guests, we did wake up to the sound of the neighbor's loud TV early in the morning, and also to his/her heavy tread upstairs. This is a matter of good guest manners, though, and was not the owner's fault.

The next morning we walked across the street to the Footbridge deli recommended by the receptionist. The coffee was great, but the breakfast just ok and a bit pricey for what we got. Loved the painted walls, though, as it reminded us of Key West and made us feel as though we were in a large aquarium! It was about a 10 minute walk to the beach, and though it was a little chilly, the sun was brilliant and we had a nice two mile walk. Because of the foul weather the day before, the waves were really high and impressive to watch.

The hotel was comfortable and certainly a good value for a rather pricey area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ArtTraveler A
There are newer reviews for Footbridge Beach Motel

Reviewed June 29, 2009

My friend and I had a great time at the Footbridge! Although the rooms are a bit dated, they are very net and clean. The grounds are very well done and kept up. The pool was clean and warm. The owners are very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel, it is a great value!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kim D
Reviewed June 7, 2009

Footbridge Beach is what everyone is saying, about an 8-10 minute walk. The walk is worth it, pack your cooler, bring your chairs, and walk to a very quiet, beautiful section of the beach. If you had to bring your car, it is expensive. There are no big hotels on the edge of it, like other parts of the beach, and its not a bad walk.

Now about the motel. Staff was friendly upon arrival. The rooms itself are very clean. Tv's are a bit small, but it does the job. Full cable, mini fridge, microwave, ac works fine in the room. It is your basic motel room with everything you need for a short stay. They have a small public room with ice machine, snacks, soda, and coffee in the morning convieniently located to all the rooms. They have plastic chairs set up outside the rooms, and a window box with flowers, which is tasteful, and makes it comfortable to sit outside. We came in off peak season, and they gave us a room away from the main road, close to the pool, which was a nice thought. They do has gas grills available if you feel like staying at the room and starting a bbq right by the pool area.

The property itself is tastefully decorated, well maintained with plants and flowers to give it an at home feeling. The location makes it easy to get to anything. I paid $59 for a 1 night stay, worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skibumma70
Reviewed May 15, 2009

My GF at the time and myself stayed here last year and it was excellent. I'm going back next month. Our room was clean, cute, and had everything we needed, nothing we didn't. The pool is very nice, the location is very central in the Ogunquit/ Wells area, and it truly is only about an 8 minute walk to Footbridge beach.
Now the geography of Footbridge beach alone is enough draw for me - it's essentially 2 beaches in 1 (Because the river cuts right back across parallel to the beach creating a long peninsula of sand). You walk over the footbridge and can either frolic in the water from the river, or continue up over the unes to the actual ocean. Superb Location.
Many little affordable places to eat/ drink around too. Totally relaxing atmosphere.
Only complaint: as soon as we went to check in girl was on phone and made us wait awkwardly in silence 10 min in a tiny hallway while she finished up. But on our checkout day she offered us her parking spot so we could go to the beach again, so that made up for it! 5 min drive from Perkins cove and Marginal way as well.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stone37a4
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Love this hotel. A friend and I stayed in the hotel to take a break from nursing school in September '07 and had a great stay. My husband and I returned in September '08 we booked the king special. It was fabulous. We had our own private deck with cafe table nice to read the paper and have coffee in the morning. The sheets were great they were a very high thread count, not your normal hotel sheets. We really enjoyed visiting with the new owners. She gave us a tour of some of the larger rooms for when we return with our children. The hotel is very convenient to footbridge beach only a 5 minute walk. We also enjoyed being next to Beachfire bar and grill. The atmosphere is great with the huge fire pit in front but the food was mediocre at best especially for the price. The new owners have made many, many wonderful improvements and we are looking forward to returning in May '09.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Barbara Jo B
Reviewed October 1, 2008

I was happy with our stay here. The lady at the desk was friendly and offered us brochures of places to eat and things to do, and told us if we needed anything she would be there for us!

The room was great for the price, and close to the Footbridge Beach which was beautiful and relaxing with its white sand beaches.

Pros: close to everything in town and a great beach, nice staff, big comfy bed, great water pressure on the shower head!

Cons: the shower water went from freezing cold to scalding hot throughout my showers. I had to do a shower dance! The biggest downer was that I pre-paid for my room on a website and when we arrived, they had their off-season rates (probably because it was raining). I could have saved about $100 if I hadn't bought them online!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 24, 2008

We loved this hotel!!! The rooms are quite large, beds are comfortable, and the best maid service I've ever seen. The hotel is a 1/2 mile from the beach, within easy walking distance. We rode our bikes to the beach and to the downtown area. Very clean hotel. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Cannot wait to stay in the summer.

Stayed: September 2008