“Very interesting and delicious”
Review of Arrows - CLOSED

Arrows
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The location is absolutely spectacular. We have eaten on holidays with the fixed menu and regular days. I prefer the regular days because of the choices and prices. The fixed menu is very delicious but a bit pricey. The menu for Thanksgiving remains much the same year to year with a few detail changes, but we love it. The scenery inside and especially outside is awesome. The service is outstanding. The wine list is quite extensive and quite expensive by the bottle. Their special martinis "house special" are amazing. Try the Vodka infused with rosemary and orange--the best I've ever had. Food is freshly prepared with local ingredients and vegs from their own garden, Portions are generous for a very fine restaurant. Usually by dessert I'm too full. Will go back whenever we are in Ogunquit.

There are newer reviews for Arrows

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I my wife and daughter and her husband spent New Year's eve at the Arrows. The meal was a prix fixe 6 course feast. From the fresh carrot soup to the mousse dessert, the meal was spectacular. The wine selection is excellent and the often overlooked wine service is high on the list at the Arrows.
When we arrived we were offered a drink in the very inviting lounge area and the Chef greeted us with a description of the menu for the evening. After we were seated, we were offered a choice of waters (sparkling, filtered bottled and tap) as well as a choice of butters (unsalted and 3 types of salted butter.) A little over the top for my taste but interesting nonetheless. In addition to the fixed menu, there were 3 optional starters and the servers were hard selling the fried oysters, lobster plateau and the caviar (unavailable). Not inexpensive mind you, and I wondered if I could consume the additional plate. The courses were well presented and if I had a complaint it was the portion size and the fact that the wait staff while making sure that they emptied the bottle of wine never asked if we wanted more of the delicious bread. The house made prosciutto was superb and cut so thin that it melted in my mouth. Unfortunately 6 paper thin slices left me wanting more. The sorbet intermezzo was a nice touch and the beef was tender with a nice hint of herbs and truffle. The homemade dessert was excellent but the coffee, while tasty, was lukewarm.
When the meal was concluded we got the impression that they wanted the table and we were politely offered more coffee a few times (a polite way of saying "see ya".) Recognizing that this was New Year's eve, and that others may have been arriving to usher in the new year, we got the bill and left.
Overall, a very good meal and we will come back.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

First visit was 5 years ago and it was superb. Second visit was last month and again had a great meal. The new menu system could be confusing if you just showed up but we had looked at it online beforehand so had a good idea what to expect. Arrows isn't for everyone, especially if price is a major issue. But it's well worth the visit when you want a special meal in a nice setting.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Here is a letter I wrote to Arrows after my dining experience with them last weekend:

I wanted to write to you regarding my experience at Arrows this past Saturday (10/27/12). I decide to take my wife to Arrows in order to celebrate her birthday. In the days leading up to the dinner I read quite a few reviews and was surprised to find as many negative reviews as there were. Some of these included; pretentiousness of restaurant and wait staff, being rushed, bottle water being thrust upon the guest and scoffing when the guest opted for tap water, the food not being very adventurous, and dress code issues. As someone who does not routinely spend around $400.00 for a meal, I must admit that I became a little nervous that my expectations may have been unrealistic.

I am delighted to say that our experience at Arrows on Saturday night was, to date, the most memorable and incredible dining experience of our lives! We currently live in an age where famous “rock star” chefs are more visible than ever before. And as someone who has worked in the restaurant industry I know that there can be massive egos amongst many of these chefs who may be more concerned about self promotion than they are about spending time in their kitchens. Therefore we were quite pleasantly surprised to have been greeted with a smile by Clark as we made our way to our table. When we purchased the book that Mark and Clark wrote, Clark was kind enough to personalize our copy with a signature and a note. These are actions that certainly do not go unnoticed.

We decided to order the six course tasting menu with the wine pairings. My wife does not particularly enjoy lamb and asked if it was possible to substitute another dish. We were, again, pleasantly surprised to discover how accommodating you were to this request. Our server, Matthew (and the rest of the staff who tended to us), could not have done a better job. He had a wonderful knowledge of the menu and the wines and was quite personable. He allowed us to relax and soak in the atmosphere but was also very attentive to our needs. At no point during our dining experience did we feel rushed. He allowed us to fully enjoy every minute of our 3 hour extravaganza!

Now onto the meal: I can not imagine what would have caused anyone to question the creativity of the chefs in a couple of the reviews we read! Each dish we sampled was more breathtaking than the next. We were blown away by the visual presentation of the food! Before taking the first bite our meal promised to be a one of a kind experience and our expectations were met and exceeded! Each dish had so many complex flavors yet they combined perfectly much to the delight of my palette. Even though the dishes had many different components, not one seemed out of place. It was clear that A LOT of thought went into each and every course. The wine that was paired with each dish provided a wonderful complement to the food.

What made the meal even more special was being able to walk the grounds and see exactly where our food came from. It is wonderful to see the “farm to table” concept being embraced by more and more restaurants. The flavors you were able to cultivate from your garden were mesmerizing. We were encouraged by our server to come back the next morning to examine the garden in daylight. As we walked amongst the greens, herbs, and spices the next day we were still basking in the joy of having just experienced the greatest culinary adventure of our lives the previous night. And for that we thank you.

3  Thank Jeremy C
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Over the past 20 years, my partner and I have made several trips to Ogunquit to enjoy the wonderful Maine summer weather. We've always wanted to try Arrows Restaurant, especially after reading a wonderful review in a well known culinary magazine. On our latest trip, we finally made a reservation. Unfortunately, Arrows was NOT WORTH THE WAIT! The food was mediocre, the atmosphere was stuffy, the maitre d was arrogant, and the meal was outrageously expensive. Dinner for four persons was over $700! After dinner, my partner and our dining companions remarked that we had experienced less pretense while dining at the Ritz in Paris! Unless you prefer mediocre food served in a pretentious atmosphere, I strongly suggest you steer clear of Arrows!

5  Thank JFBMD