“Quaint restaurant with a great view”
Review of Barnacle Billy's

Barnacle Billy's
Ranked #24 of 97 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bodden Town, Grand Cayman
“Quaint restaurant with a great view”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

AMAZING view. The restaurant overlooks a little canal that opens up to the ocean, making for great pictures. Most of the inside tables have a good view of the canal so there is no need to sit outside (we sat inside as it was a little chilly by my standards). The service was also great. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful. The food was just okay, however. I expected a little more from such a highly recommended restaurant.

Norwood, Massachusetts
“A Maine institution in need of TLC...”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Being a Maine native, Barnacle Billy's is certainly a Maine institution. However, despite this status, it appears to me that the owners are resting on their laurels and no longer driven to constantly improve. It's clear they've become comfortable with being a tourist trap as evidenced by my most recent visit. The dining room and interior decor are dated and not in the retro-sheik manner. The tables, chairs, plates and carperts are on the tired side.
Atmospere is not everything as I've eaten in many dives that crank out great food. However, Barnacle Billy's food is average at best. Our crab cake appetizer was very dark and clearly overcooked. Our fried entrees of clams & Maine shrimp however, were cooked to perfection. The salmon entree ordered by 2 of our party was prepared with a lack luster dijon preparation.

1 Thank musiclover1013
New Hampshire
“Dinner With Family”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

As a large group we had a good time here, I enjoyed my steak as the other members of the group also enjoyed their food. Not a quick place to eat, don't come in rushed it is not super quick but that is not a complaint. A beautiful view as well and service was nice. Does not accept reservations.

• Visited April 2014
“High prices for less than impressive New England Fare”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have been in New England all my life. The idea of lobster and steamers has become more of the norm. However, when our group took a day off to enjoy the sunshine and take in the sights we chose to eat at Barnacle Billy's (full service) side because we were looking to relax for lunch and it had a .5 star over the others in the area. Do not be fooled-this .5 star is not warranted. I had full intention of paying a bit more for waterside seating and service. Our waitress was fine, not overly friendly-but this I can deal with. However, we all ordered drinks and they were served in plastic cups. Now I know- I might sound like a snob here. However, When I pay $15 for a Bloody Mary, I do have certain expectations and a glass and some garnish are part of this. We noticed a couple other people had glasses-so not quite sure why we all got the plastic cups. My daughter ordered the punch-no garnish and came in the same small plastic cup with 75% ice and it was not as delish as they advise. The single shrimp on my glass was not fresh-previously frozen and trust me, there is a big difference. It was tasteless. We looked at the menu once we got the drinks and were appalled at what they are charging.The menu online is not quite what we saw. $16 for a Tuna Salad or $32 for Lobster salad plate is outrageous! This was inline with the other items. People next to us were very disappointed in their meals $20 salmon plate and $30 single lobster dinner-so we opted to close the bill and move on. I do understand the cost of running a business and fine with paying for quality when I eat out. We expected to pay a little more-but this is just wrong. However, another restaurant right down the way (same water view) was about $11 for a salad with grilled salmon on it and serving drinks in glasses. We did not make it to the food at this restaurant, but it looked like typical fare and other patrons were disappointed. Maybe an off day? However, if you are going to charge a premium-this is what you should serve and what patrons should expect. Being from New England, I know what to expect for seafood and this this very overpriced without the service you should expect. The atmosphere is ok-but you can go to anther in the cove and get full service at a price that is a bit more acceptable.

1 Thank Kreativ_travels
Pembroke, New Hampshire
“Worst lobster roll in Maine”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I had a lobster roll, and went back to tell them that it did have only one piece of lobster in the roll and they did not care at all. I make sure I tell everybody I know about that lobster oll I will never go back there and don't recommend that place at all. there are many other great restaurant in Ogunquit. Please don't spend your money there, it is not worth it.

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank kamigrace

Been to Barnacle Billy's? Share your experiences!