“Just ok” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jonathan's Restaurant

Jonathan's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Jonathan's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 97 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: Jonathan's is on the Ogunquit Trolley Route!
Description: Casual, Fine Dining at its best! Serving the local and traveling public for nearly four decades! Focus on local, farm grown products from Jonathan's farm in South Berwick, Maine and using local seafood. We are a full service restaurant for families, couples, friends, parties, weddings, conferences and concerts!
York Harbor, Maine
“Just ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I was really surprised by how average Jonathan's was. I've always heard great things and the reviews are good. But I have to say, I was not impressed at all.

When you first walk in, the atmosphere is wonderful....crackling fireplace, wide pine floors, grand staircase. Then you go into the restaurant and it looks like any old fried clam place in need of some sprucing. Worn carpets, uncomfortable seating and a huge fish tank with almost no fish in it. And it was cold. I mean, really cold. I am always warm but I had to keep my coat over my legs because it was so cold in the dining room.

The menu was fairly limited and they were out of almost all of the specials by 7pm. I was also really disappointed that there were no choices in sides. Every meal comes with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies. I don't really care for mashed potatoes and these were particularly bland. I ordered the caramelized salmon. The meal was not very hot and it really lacked flavor and originality.

The drinks were not much better. We ordered three different mixed drinks (bloody orange martini, a mojito and the playhouse punch). All of them were far too sweet. The mint leaves in the mojito were not crushed at all so it essentially tasted like club soda and rum with a thick syrup at the bottom of the glass.

The highlight of the meal was definitely the dessert. We ordered the creme brulee. It was perfect. The custard was slightly warm and the top had just the right amount of crunch.

Would I go again? If I couldn't get a table anywhere else I guess I'd give it another try. Otherwise, probably not.

• Visited March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elementarymydear
eatwellOgunquitMaine, Manager at Jonathan's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you for your constructive criticism of your visit with us. I wish your first impression ( the crackling fireplace) and your last impression (the perfect crème brulee) could replace everything else that happened in between.
Our 600 gallon fresh water aquarium is professionally maintained by New England Aquarium Service and they take great pride in the fact that all the vegetation in the tank is live and thrives so well that they have to thin it out often. Several of the fish in the tank were born there so it's a very balanced environment for the fish and vegetation. It doesn't, however, have all the color and big fish like the ones that have artificial plants seen in some restaurants.
Our caramelized salmon is one of our best selling entrees and guests come back time after time for it. I'm so sorry that yours did not meet your expectations. I, too, do not like overly sweet drinks. I wish we could have the chance to try again.
We really do value our guests and hope to see your again in the future. Thanks again for letting us know.

Vermont
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

Jonathan's is a high quality restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere. Lots of fresh seafood items and other fare as well. It tends to be more of an older crowd, less of a family place. We have been for Thanksgiving dinner and just for dates- the food and service are always top notch. Prices are moderate.

Visited June 2013
“Incredible Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Food was one of the best breakfasts out! The space was beautiful and the view outside was beautiful. Our waitress struggled to use her iPad to take our order and that entire process took much longer than it should have. While the omelet was phenomenal, charging us $24 dollars for it with the added ingredients was a bit extreme. Waitress never offered to refill coffee, tea or water!
Meal = A+
Venue = A+
Waitress = C-
Value= C-

Sarasota, Florida
“A great restaurant!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I won a trip to Maine in a contest, and included in my winnings was a dinner and show at Jonathan's In Ogunquit. As we stepped out of our Limo I was greeted by name and we immediately felt welcomed. Dinner and staff were spectacular and we had great views of the beautiful snow. I would highly recommend Jonathan's to anyone wanting a great place to eat and a show afterwards. The show was in a very intimate setting and there was not a bad seat in the place. I would definately go there again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Wells, Maine
“Fine dining at affordable rates in a personable atmostphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

A nice shirt and comfortable, clean jeans are all that are required to enjoy superb foods and wine at Johnathan's Restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine. The wait staff are attentive, but not TOO attentive. The art adorning the walls is thought provoking. The dining music ensemble adds the perfect auditory flavor to an otherwise delightful culinary adventure. The owner even makes a point to visit with guests to share smiles and warm welcomes. My girlfriend and I will most certainly enjoy ourselves there again ... and soon!