“Superb Service”

Jonathan's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Jonathan's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 101 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main Street
Transit: Jonathan's is on the Ogunquit Trolley Route!
Description: Casual, Fine Dining at its best! Serving the local and traveling public for nearly four decades! Focus on local, farm grown products from Jonathan's farm in South Berwick, Maine and using local seafood. We are a full service restaurant for families, couples, friends, parties, weddings, conferences and concerts!
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went to Jonathan's to celebrate our 44th anniversary. The food was very good but the service
by the waitstaff was excellent. Our waitress not only had good suggestions as to the dishes but as to wine pairings. The meal was paced just right - not rushed nor dragged out.

1  Thank Wetravel1944

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been reading the reviews already posted. I'm wondering - did I go to the same restaurant? We made reservations for Friday night, June 15, 2012 for 6:00P. When we arrived, a couple walked in the door just ahead of us and held the door open for us. The person (a young man - late 20's? early 30's) asked the couple in front of us if they had reservations. They said no, they just came in off the street and stepped aside. He then asked us if we had reservation. We told him yes, gave him the name and time (it was about 2 minutes before 6). The telephone rang, he answered it, and an older gentleman (50's? 60's?) came out to seat people. The gentleman on the phone mouthed and pointed to the other couple and said "They were first". Okay, I don't know about anyone else, but I was trained that reservations ALWAYS we seated first. Strike one! We were then seated and when the waitress came over, explained that there would be two waitresses taking care of us and if we had any problems, we could talk to either of them. We checked the menu and the specials. I decided to have a steak from the specials. She asked how I wanted it cooked and I told her medium rare. After we ordered, we looked around at the pleasant surroundings. Then our salads came and the waitress said "Oh sorry, you don't have rolls". Again, I was trained that rolls ALWAYS came before salad. Strike 2! She then came back and said they were out of the steak. Wait a minute - it's 6 maybe 6:15 and they are out of a special already? Strike 3! I instead ordered the steak tips. Then we looked and had no knives for the butter and rolls. After we asked for knives (Strike 4!), we heard another table asking for knives (?!?!?!?). I'm thinking - What kind of a place is this? We just looked at each other and shook our heads. Our meals came and my steak tips were so well done that I had trouble cutting them. Strike 5! (if it matters - they were already out for this inning.) We ate our meal and I cut up all the steak and asked for a carry out container. She asked if I wanted to take the steak home. I said yes and she wisked my dish away. I don't know about the rest of the world, but I do not feel a customer should EVER lose sight of their food and the container should be brought to the table. This is how it is done at all the fine restaurants I have frequented. Strike 6! At this point, I ask to speak to the manager. The young man who was at the front desk came over to our table. He never introduced himself so I don't know his name. I explained to him all the things that I felt were wrong. He apologized and left. The older gentleman then came to our table (again - no mention of a name) and proceeded to apologize how sorry he was, he took my meal off the bill, he didn't want us not to have a good experience, etc. He then asked if I was taking the steak home not saying but indicating that if it was bad why was I taking it. He then asked for our names and address and email because he wanted to send a letter. After he did that, I told him that the carry out was for the dog. He then asked if we took the dog on vacation, again not saying, but inferring that I was lying to him. I explained that the place we were staying at had a dog. I do not feel I should have been made to feel that I had to explain anything to this gentleman. Today is July 9, 2012 and, as of yet, we still have not received a letter. As far as I am concerned, this was the worst treatment of a patron I have ever seen in my life. Will I ever return? NEVER!!!!!! Do I think anyone should ever go there? NEVER! The prices, as everyone has stated, are a little higher than what should be expected, but if it's worth it, it's worth it. This place did nothing to make me feel any amount was worth the way we were treated.

5  Thank Fitz644
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great food at reasonable prices. We discovered Jonathan's while on vacation last year, and looked forward to visiting them again this year. As it turned out, we ate there twice during our five day mini vacation this year. The first night, they were a bit off their game. The twin lobsters we both ordered were excellent, but service was a little slow. The staff worked hard to make up for the delay. The second night, a Saturday, was perfect. The halibut and sweet and sour calamari was wonderful and unique, the mussels delicious, and the boiled lobster cooked perfectly. Our only regret is that we aren't closer, so we only get to enjoy this establishment once a year.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

good food, great service, and entertainment too - very pricey, but worth the go see and enjoy it.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was our first time to this restaurant. The reason we went was to get great seats at the concert. The concert was worth it, The food was very good but priced a bit high. My recommendation is if you want to just eat, there are better places around but if you are going to the show, this is the way to go.