“Meet your meal as you walk into the Ogunquit Lobster Pound”

Ogunquit Lobster Pound Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 101 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Established in 1931 the Ogunquit Lobster Pound has been proudly serving the best Maine lobster for generations. Choose your own live lobster to be boiled in seawater in the traditional Maine fashion or try one of the many offerings from our full menu. Now in our 87th year, we continue our traditions of consistency, quality, and exceptional service. We eagerly look forward to another season of satisfied customers both new, and those who have been returning for years.
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was in Manchester NH on business last month and as a Floridian that doesn't get up to New England that often, I was determined to have a lobster meal in Maine without a crazy long drive from NH. During my flight into town, I was told to try the Ogunquit Lobster Pound as the drive east would be an hour or so. Perfect!

I've seen rustic BBQ places in the south that actually resemble this place. Hey, don't come here for a chic, white tablecloth experience. Just fresh lobster, good food and decent service. Really, no need for a menu as you'll see your dinner once you park your car and walk to the front door. The condemned are all in a large tank (see my photo) and are individually netted and weighed. I'd heard that lobster prices have actually come down somewhat but the meal was still what I thought was on the pricey side.

Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Pick your own lobster from the tank. It is steamed and brought to your table. A favorite of ours each year when we go to Maine.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The food we finally were able to order was OK (Baked Brie as a starter and a Lobster Roll for the meal - neither outstanding) but I was so disappointed that they were out of Lobster Mac and Cheese and the Crab Dip. The majority of the guests in the restaurant seem to be enjoying full lobsters and I guess that is what you are looking for, this might be a good place to try.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed eating respectively a three lb and a two lb lobster at this restaurant. The lobsters were cooked perfectly and tasted great. Each dinner came with two sides,they were tiny portions and very bland. The vegetables were overcooked and poorly seasoned. The dessert menu boasted of a special deep dish mini fruit pie topped with ice cream for six dollars and change. We decided to splurge and we ordered a raspberry pie. It was not good at all. The pie filling was a watery combo of raspberries and water, the crust was a soggy microwaved mess. The only good part of this dessert was the scoop of ice cream on top.
Our waitress was efficient but not friendly or helpful.
I recommend this restaurant if you stick to lobster and drinks, it was really good.

1  Thank Ed R
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We came here a few weeks ago when we were in Ogunquit for a long weekend. My husband picked the Lobster Pound because it was within walking distance from our hotel and because, well, it had "lobster" in the name. How bad could it be? We were about to find out.

Got seated right away, which was great, but to be expected on a Thursday in late September. Waiter came over and updated us on a change to the menu. Apparently the lobster mac & cheese had been taken off the menu months before (even tho it was still printed on the menu) so that was not available. Fair enough. He then proceeded to talk at length about how the company that made it for them was awful and how customers didn't like the mac n cheese. Okay. A bit more info than we needed, but whatever. He was young.

We both ordered the lobster pie, and started with a chowder and lobster bisque. Both were just so-so. The entree came out right after we finished the chowder, which seemed fast. Turns out it was. My husband took a bite of his pie and put his fork down. He said his pie was cold. I took a bite of mine, and that was cold as well. Bear in mind, my husband worked in the restaurant service industry. He never sends a meal or a drink back. He won't even let me send a drink back if it's the wrong thing. He hates putting the bartender or kitchen staff or waitstaff under duress, and we usually just order another drink or eat around what's not right. (He also has some nightmare stories with chefs doing not nice things to meals people send back to be cooked more or changed....)

So I knew something was wrong if he was saying we were sending them back. We called the waiter over, explained the situation, and he offered to have them heated up or send us something else. By that point, my husband was disgusted and we said we'd just settle the check and leave. A manager came over to apologize and say that they wouldn't charge us for the cold pies (good...that should be a given). We were waiting for the waiter to pick up the check to process our payment when the manager came back out and said "Just so you know, I stuck my finger in the pie and I burned my finger." Are you kidding me? You're going to come out and argue with us? The pies were cold. That was not up for debate. Maybe she stuck her finger in a different pie. Maybe the cooks microwaved them while she was out talking to us the first time.

Incredibly unprofessional on the part of that manager. Will never go there again. Awful. Just awful. The cold food alone would have been enough but then to have the manager come out and try to argue with us about the temperature of the meal? Please.

3  Thank Melissa D

Been to Ogunquit Lobster Pound Restaurant? Share your experiences!