“Authentic Country French Experience”

Roost Cafe and Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Roost Cafe and Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 100 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ledge Road
Description: A warm and welcoming Cafe and Bistro where our philosophy is hand-crafted, a la minute entrees and appetizers that are exquisite, yet affordable. We pride ourselves on classical cooking techniques with contemporary flavors and creations that are perfect for a bistro. Our Summer hours are as follows: Breakfast/Lunch/Brunch: 8 am - 2 pm Pub Fare: 2 pm - 9 pm Dinner: 5 pm - 9pm
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We are on vacation in New England from our home in Europe, and my French husband lived in Provence for nearly 15 years. He pronounced his meal (the rabbit) to be excellent and I can say the same - the halibut was the best in memory and the dark chocolate mousse, simply sublime. We loved the warm and cozy ambience, and Ken provided friendly, knowledgeable and polished service. We had a thoroughly delightful evening and would certainly return were we to find ourselves in Ogunquit again.

2  Thank Brionnais

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We tried breakfast. Omelets are $10 and up and sound quite tasty reading off the menu. But, they are bland and aren't presented well. Too bad, because overall the place has a nice eclectic feel. We might give lunch or dinner a try though.

1  Thank tripguy007
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We loved the rustic charm, food and the service. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and we loved that the owner was very involved walking around making sure you were satisfied.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We had the wonderful pleasure of eating at 98 Provence on several occasions both with family and friends!!! Chef Pierre is absolutely "spot on" with his menu and the food presentation is simply amazing!!! The restaurant's surrounding is cozy and romantic! Great cocktails - be sure and try the martini special and terrific wine list!!! Simply a must if you are looking for a great way to spend an evening full of great food and bubbly!!!

Reviewed July 21, 2011

We ate at 98 Provence on July 14 and from other reviews it seems that there is much divided opinion: a consensus in general about the food, less so about the service. We experienced the same. The food--quality, originality, presentation--was excellent in every respect. Our wait person seemed very much in a hurry, spoke very quickly (glad I'm a native-speaker of English), and didn't always answer questions as one might expect, e.g., "What is sumac?" "The sumatc is a Middle Eastern sumac, etc. etc." I still don't know what sumac is. As the evening wore in--we had a reservation for 8:30, she loosened up a bit and seemed more relaxed.

The wine we wanted was unavailable (a premier cru) but we were offered a substitute "from the same vineyards" at the list price of the unavailable wine, as if that were a good deal for us. I asked about our back-up choice fromthe list but the waitperson said that what we were being offered was a good substitute for the first one. I didn't re-consult the wine list, so perhaps we got a great deal or an even exchange, but I'll never know. What we did get was not a premier cru, but that doesn't mean we didn't get a good deal. But I wasn't happy about how this was handled.

Finally, when we arrived on time, I said hello to the woman at the front desk and introduced myself. She looked up, asked if I had a reservation, and, when I said I did, called someone over and told him where to seat us. Perhaps she is not "happy in her work?" A bit of a chilly greeting, I thought.

Conclusion: great food, some questions about the service, and not a very pleasant greeting. Would we go back? Probably not. A restaurant is not just about the food. Nor would I call the setting "romantic." It's a country bistro, not a city bistro, and that's reflected in the ambience.