“Wonderful - Our Favorite Place to Stay in Southern Maine” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Above Tide Inn

Above Tide Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Above Tide Inn
Ranked #21 of 27 Ogunquit B&B and Inns
VT
“Wonderful - Our Favorite Place to Stay in Southern Maine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stumbled onto The Above Tide Inn 14 years ago and have been staying there every year since. The Inn is owned and operated by a family who takes great pride in providing simply appointed and meticulosly clean accomodations along with excellent service to insure a fun, stress free and relaxing experience for its guests. They serve a continental breakfast with home made baked goods each morning. An added bonus has been meetting up with some of the same guests year after year who have come to be good friends. The Inn is so well located that we park our car and don't move it for the week as everthing is within walking distance (beach, restaurants, shops, etc.) Just a great place!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank VTBTV

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

We called The Above Tide Inn to stay for 3 nights and they quoted us a rate- with extra for our children which we happily agreed to. We sent a check and they called us back that they made a mistake by $60 night and told us they would send our check back-only TWO weeks before our trip! We had planned to stay here because of the proximity of the family with whom we were vacationing so this spoiled our entire plan! I called and explained but they were extremely rude and told us "Sorry" we made a mistake and won't honor the original price. We were saddened that they would not honor their word and by their cold reaction. When asked where they would recommend- they said "call the Chamber of Commerce" so that is what I suggest you do. We simply don't want anyone else to have their vacation plans ruined as a result of their error and resistance to honor their word.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank TravelerOgunquit
abovetideinn, Owner at Above Tide Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2009
The husband showed up to the inn and booked in person and was verbally quoted $225 plus $60 for a room for four people. When I received the deposit I realized that he thought the room was only $225 per night so I called to clarify. I apologized for any error and offered to refund their money. From booking the room to refunding the money (the entire deposit) only seven days had passed. I recommended the Chamber of Commerce because they would know where a room for four people (for only $225) would be located.

I still stand behind refunding their money and I did not think the verbal assault from the wife was warranted. After that phone call I am pleased this family will be staying elsewhere.
NH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

Quaint inn on the bank of a river and a less than 5 minute walk of the beach. Rooms range in size. We stayed in a larger room (full bed with 2twins) to get a sea view. Most rooms appear to have terraces. Marginal Way is only steps away. Staff or owner allowed us to check in early. Room is good size for two people. Bathroom was small with a shower only. Offer a continental breakfast with room. We will come again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Itsmo
kensington, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2006

My husband & I stayed at the Above Tide Inn on our first visit to Ogunquit. We found the place charming from the moment we arrived. We were a bit disappointed, tho, because we thought we had requested a room on the water, but when we checked in, discovered that the room was ocean-VIEW (if you went out on the deck outside the room and looked around the corner). We were told the rooms on the water are booked well in advance.

Great location - the beach is right there, as well as a short walk up the hill to the shops & downtown area, as well as a path for the Marginal Way right outside the door! Very quiet at nite, and wonderful coffee & made-by-the-owner coffee cake in the morning.

We booked a WATER-VIEW room right away before we left for next year!

Stayed September 2005
4 Thank CTStella
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2005

I booked a few months ago and asked for a corner upstair's room overlooking the river. They said they only had the middle room left and it had two double beds, and had a 2 night minimum. ( even though it was the middle of the week and after Labor Day). I had to send a check for $160.00 including tax; the price for one night. I should have known then that this was a negative indicator of this place. I went against my better judgement and sent in the check. In the letter I reminded them that if a corner room should come available to put me in that. The first order of business when I walked into the office was to pay the balance of the stay. The room was clean but drab. The one corner room that I could have had was taken that day by a couple that had just pulled into town, without a reservation. I don't think the 2 night minimum applied to them. The walls are thin and it was hard to sleep. I couldn't stay another night and they refused to refund anything because they noted that it's their policy on the website. I'm sure they rented it that night anyway, good for them. So, I lost $160.00, live and learn.

• Stayed September 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner and manager at Above Tide Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2005
Like all reputable businesses, the Above Tide Inn has policies. One is that guests send in a deposit, which is a reasonable request for this area. The other is that guests settle their bill upon arrival. Upon booking the room a month in advance, these "guests" were well aware of our policies.

The two front corner rooms were booked a year in advance by two repeat customers. They were not available to this customer.

The "guests", however, regret to inform the average tripadvisor reader that they left before the office opened the next morning. A note was left for the maid service apologizing for leaving a day early. They apparently received a phone call and had to go home. Ms. "guest" then phoned later in the day demanding a refund and we did not oblige because that is against our policy. Her final threat was to write a negative tripadvisor review.

I have owned and run this inn for 13 years and thought I heard it all until I read this......

I am sure the rain on the second day had nothing to do with the "Guests" early departure....
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2005

My husband and I drove into Ogunquit without a reservation and stumbled upon the Above Tide Inn. Luckily for us, they had one room left for the night. The owner greated us right when we pulled up and was more than happy to show us the room he had available. The room was way more than what we needed, 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms, however, we decided to snag it for the night ($220). The room was very clean/neat and had cable tv and a small fridge. What I also liked about the room that the decor was not the typical frilly Inn furnishings. The furniture was white, beds were comfortable and there wasn't a lot of "stuff" around as you tend to find in many Inns.... the whole place had a real nice "beach" feel to it. The location is perfect for exploring Ogunquit - we parked our car and did not move it until late the next day. There are a lot of wonderful restaurants in the area so make sure you try some of them out. I would also highly recommend Huckleberry's (down towards the beach) for breakfast. We are looking forward to going back to the Above Tide Inn.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank suzyjacuzzi
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

We just got back from a 5 day stay at the Above Tide inn and it was great. We had never stayed there before, but other members of the family have. It is in a great location; as close as you can be to the beach without actually staying there. i highly recommend it. We stayed in room 10 and it was very nice size and in a separate building then the main Inn. the inn keepers are nice and there is complimentary coffee cake, coffee and orange juice in the morning. i have been going to Ogunquit for a very long time and would stay at the Above Tide inn from now on.

• Stayed July 2005