“You don't get what you pay for”
Review of The Milestone

The Milestone
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I will say it was clean. However, the bathtub was clogged, the bathroom small with no place to put the simplest toiletries. I tried to ask for a wakeup call, but the phone could not connect me. Since it was after 11 PM the office was closed. Certainly not worth the almost $200 per night!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jill G
dfhanson0126, General Manager at The Milestone, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Milestone. I apologize that your issue was not resolved immediately and not brought to our attention prioir to your check out. We have several types of rooms and I would recommend our larger, deluxe room for additional space on a return trip. We also are happy to offer over night security and an on call maintenance staff that would have responded promptly to your requests if we had been notified. I apologize again for the confusion and hope that you will consider us for a future visit!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I booked realizing we'd be coming to Ogunquit for personal business at the height of Ogunquit's summer season, and so wanted solid reservations at a reasonable price. Now I wish we'd taken the risk and simply held off booking until we could see what else was available.

The outside of this motel is scrupulously maintained, like Disneyland in its attention to lawns, shrubs, perfectly swept asphalt, and paint on the siding. The facility appears to be flawless on the outside. On the inside one finds a throw-back motel dating to the 80s, right down to the scratchy linens and towels, the indoor/outdoor carpeting in the room, a multicolored polyester quilt that was found in every motel in America (3-4 decades ago) and furnishings that are in decent shape, presumably after having been picked up on sale at an auction of a hotel/motel that either up-graded years ago, or went defunct. As we entered my daughter literally said, "It's Grandma's house!" Of course, it was that WITHOUT the warmth or history. But there WAS the same medicinal smell.

The dated features extend right down to the keys. $175 per night, and there's no electronic lock or key card. Instead it's the familiar plastic tag stamped with the hotel's name, the room number, and a post office box address "if found..."

The bathroom was tiny, as was the vanity cabinet holding the tiny sink. With literally no counter space, and a wholly useless wall shelf that's about 2.5" deep by 15" long, we had to keep our Dopp kits atop the half closet outside the bathroom.

I also imagine guests on the larger side will have problem accessing the toilet that's wedged into an alcove between that tiny vanity and the shower wall. I have a 36" waist and had to maneuver carefully to avoid bruising on the corner of the vanity. I imagine those who are larger would either find it very challenging, or even impossible to just get to the toilet.

It's been a long time since I've encountered problems with power outlets at a hotel or motel, but among the upgrades long overdue for the Milestone is the addition of outlets. Only one of the sockets in the receptacle beneath the desk was functioning, and once the lamp was unplugged that one went to the computer. We were left to unplug the lamp behind the bed to serve the phones and camera charger.

I've never seen a situation where the wall-mounted "reading lamps" between the bed were attached to the wall a little more than 4 feet over the matresses. This meant that turning either lamp on had the light shining in the eyes of anyone lying in either bed. And to intensify the dysfunction, the Milestone can also be added to the list of those establishments that need to learn the bulbs installed in bedside reading lamps should be somewhat dimmer than those used in other lamps around the room. While the equivalent of a 60, 75 or 100 watt may be appropriate elsewhere in the room, the bedside lamp does NOT have to illuminate the entire room, or even the area beyond the nightstand and perhaps the torso of anyone in bed.

Nothing inside this motel delivers on the comfort and perhaps even luxury implied by the rates, and exterior upkeep. Oh, and don't miss the myriad signs warning guests of what they'd better NOT do. For example, even being SEEN smoking "on the property" could result in a $75 fine being added to your bill. That and other warnings are strangely enough NOT highlighted in the hotel's literature and web site.

I take it this is a family-owned business - including the two nearby, affiliated motels/hotels - because the staff is typically a pair of kids who are great for providing change, pointing to tourist maps, answering phones and offering rudimentary directions. But anything more sophisticated requires a referral to the folks who apparently come in during the morning to handle guests checking out (and billing).

The one opportunity for this establishment to really stand out without great expense is utterly blown at the "continental breakfast." Rather than beat out the corporate chains, or the cheaper establishments down the road, perhaps with some local strawberries and bread, maybe even some local eggs scrambled, they instead go with the generic bagels and muffins, cereals and oatmeal - literally no different from (and seemingly not as fresh as) what one would find at the "free breakfast" at any $59-per-night chain on any highway in America. And the Milestone doesn't even include the ubiquitous waffle maker.

I often check the 'guest laundry' when I'm traveling, but had to actually use it on this trip, and found more of the same there. At $1.75 per wash and another $1.75 per dryer load, not to mention the prices for soap and other supplies, The Milestone set another milestone for high prices. I suppose the laundry room sign is directed at repeat visitors. It announces, "Due to guest feedback, the dryer timing has been changed from 30 minutes to 45 minutes." Alas, it just made it that much more galling that the waist and pockets from my slacks, along with the cuffs and collars of my shirts nonetheless came out damp. Those guests who complained about the 30 minutes of drying must have been livid!

The laundry room is in an outbuilding separate from the rooms, and upstairs from the laundry is the Milestone's "fitness room." Now, the weather was particularly grueling while I was in Ogunquit, with several days in the 90s and very high humidity. Given the miserable temperatures in the fitness room when I went up, one would think they'd have some better means of getting guests out of the fitness room to the ambulance hopefully waiting below than the narrow stairway that appears to be the only means of access. I found the fitness room unusable due to the temperature throughout my visit.

With regard to that previously-mentioned weather, it was especially frustrating that the wall-mounted AC in our room was actually separated from the room itself by the closet that is perhaps 5 feet tall. Thanks to the nature of cold air, as warm as our room may have been, if we stood in the closet area outside the bathroom door, it was 10 degrees cooler.

I have to agree with the comments of others here who noted the motel is much further from the beach than is implied by the motel's literature. But I saw no evidence of the bugs alleged by other reviews.

On the positive side, the place seemed to me to be scrupulously clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 2008travellover
dfhanson0126, General Manager at The Milestone, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

I am sorry that our property didn't meet your expectations. I will say that I am surrounded by a group of hard working, dedicated professionals that take great pride in our product and our surrounding area and do their best each and everyday. Ogunquit is a beautiful area with accomodations for all types and I do hope you have better luck finding something to suit your tastes on a future visit. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This was our first stay at the milestone and we will definitely be back. It was our first hotel stay with our 4 year old. She had a blast - loved the pool and the jacuzzi. The continental Breakfast was great. The grounds are beautiful,very well kept. The room was clean. The location is fantastic - close enough to walk to downtown and the beach, yet enough distance so youre not right in the midst of the busy downtown area. Cant wait to go back!!

1  Thank hea123ther
dfhanson0126, General Manager at The Milestone, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Thank you so much for your review and we are very pleased you will consider us in the future! All of our guest feedback is appreciated!

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Second time at that location, stayed in mid-June 2012. All in all excellent:: i.e.room clean and comfortable, staff very helpful and polite, continental breakfast very good.
Can walk to beach and this can save you many dollars, (see negative comment below).

Worth mentioning is a gesture that was very much appreciated. On our last day, a very hot and sunny day , the pool was closed due to some problem so the Management (probably one of the owners) offered us a transfer at the same rate at one of their other properties - The Juniper Hill Inn which is normally costlier. We enjoyed our stay at the Juniper Hill Inn and recommend it also.

Beach Parking: It seems that depending on the weather the parking rate varied from day to day - $15.00 - $20.00 - $25.00 I know that hotel and motel owners can not control such behavior by parking operators, the town of Ogunquit I assume but this is an irritable matter.
Perhaps the property owners should issue Parking Permits to their customers.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Have stayed here before, and was not disappointed! Very clean - very comfortable. Rooms are very comfortable; the staff was very helpful; breakfast was a bonus! We had our 2 year old grandson with us, as well as our son and daughter-in-law, and they were very impressed as well. Would definitely stay again - price was a bit higher than I'd like, but it was okay considering it was the 4th of July week.

Room Tip: We asked to stay in the building across from the pool because it was more convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay with us! We are happy to hear that it was a family affair and all enjoyed themselves! We thank you for your loyalty and your comments!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

walking distance to many attractions. trolley stop right out front, bring plenty of singles. rooms nice, not beach musty smell. nice continental breakfast in the morning. was it worth $180? yes it is a resort town, you got to pay extra for in season. the best thing was there were no problems.

Room Tip: higher floors are walk ups.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jim s
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We had a lovely stay and enjoyed the walk to the beach early in the morning. The inlet looks like a great place to kayak.