“"Lovely place on the outside with unexpected surprises!"”

The Sparhawk Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We had a wonderful weekend... surprised my husband for his birthday with a weekend get a away!
The motel had beautiful grounds. The room appeared clean. The was staff very pleasant. It is at the beginning of Marginal Way, which we walked several times.
About a week later after our return home the itching started. Much to my surprise and a doctor visit later, I had a costly and very disgusting problem. I was diagnosed with scabbies!!! Apparently after playing telephone tag with the owner, Jennifer Morse, and my conversation with the manager they are NOT taking any responsiblity. Nor can they confirm that being a motel and having a high guest turnover rate that they launder their sheets in 220 degree water. They claim they also launder the bedspreads, which I highly doubt.
I am totally disgusted! Never in my life had I ever had scabbies, nor did I ever encounter any one else that did. I did not even know what they were let alone how to treat them! The doctor had to explain it to me. I missed three days of work, which was very embarassing to explain to my boss! I had to clean and scour my home, launder all of our linens and clothing and treat ourselves twice to get rid of them. Not to mention the ITCH that was enough to drive any one insane!!! Realizing what a scabbie is and knowing they are microscopic in size that live under your skin leaves me feeling very uncomfortable to say the least!
I will reporting them to the BBB and also place an ad in the local newspapers. Let's see if that gets their attention!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
22  Thank fondoux
SparhawkGM, Owner at The Sparhawk Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2010

The shared goal of Sparhawk's ownership, management and staff is to provide a clean, safe, scenic and high quality environment in which our guests can relax and enjoy their time on the Southern Maine Coast. Our success in this endeavor is evidenced by the overwhelming number of guests who return annually, guest referrals and favorable industry ratings. Sparhawk takes any and all complaints and negative guest experiences very seriously. There has never before been a case of scabies (or other pest-born affliction) contracted at the Sparhawk, and we are horrified (and dubious) of the very possibility. Sparhawk adheres to rigorous laundry, housekeeping and maintenance protocols which meet or exceed industry standards - including the frequency, chemicals and water temperature applied in the laundering of all guest linens, including towels, sheets, blankets and bedspreads.

The last thing that we desire is for a guest to have any sort of unpleasant experience while at the Sparhawk. It is most unfortunate that the above reviewer and I were unable to speak directly despite multiple attempts by both parties. As co-owner and General Manager I twice returned voice mail messages which conveyed our concern and sympathy for her suffering and outlined the rationale for our belief that it is very unlikely her condition was acquired at the Sparhawk. In addition to confidence in our laundry procedures and the lack of any complaints from other guests or staff, the onset of symptoms within just one week of her visit indicates contraction prior to coming to the Sparhawk. Our review of multiple reputable medical resources indicates that scabies is transmitted primarily through person-to-person, skin-to-skin contact (rarely through bedding) and that symptoms do not usually appear for up to two months (within 2-6 weeks) of being infested.

Sparhawk does indeed take guest complaints seriously and we strive to respond in a professionally appropriate and responsible manner. To reassure future guests - the room in question was vacant following the reviewer's stay and as an added precaution was completely stripped, cleaned and all linens re-laundered upon our initial notification. We regret that the reviewer has suffered as she has and felt the need to lay what we believe to be unfounded blame at Sparhawk's door - as well as request compensation. (Note: None was given.)

Lastly - and most importantly - Sparhawk wishes to thank our many loyal and appreciative customers and all those guests who have taken the time to share their positive Sparhawk experiences with others.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

We stayed for two weeks at the end of September and had a wonderful time. The view from the patio is breathtaking. Walking to the end of the beech and back takes a couple od hours but what great scenery and exercise. The rooms ae updated every few years so although not my taste, always in great shape, attractive and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank canddlove
Reviewed March 19, 2010

My husband and I take a trip every year for our birthday (it is the same day) and we have been to Ogunquit a few times. Last year we chose the Sparhawk because of its price and location. What a great choice!! It is one of the few hotel right on Shore road and you really can't beat the price. We got 3 nights, the first week of May for about a hundred dollars a night.

The Sparhawk is also one of the ONLY places that have rooms right on the water. We stayed in the motel unit which has 6 rooms facing the ocean, right on the sea wall. It was so wonderful to be able to walk out onto our little balcony and breathe the sea air. We left the door open while we slept so we could hear the sound of the waves through the night. Just wonderful. There were also 2 big comfy chairs which sit right in front of the picture window so even if the weather is a little cold, you can still enjoy the view. We had a nice botttle of wine and some cheese and crackers sitting in front of the window with our feet up and big smiles on our faces! What a lovely way to begin our birthday eve!

The grounds are really pretty as well and there are lawn games you can play. I've never played shuffleboard but had a fun time playing after we checked out.
The entrance to Marginal Way is right there as well. I would definitely stay here again. You can't beat the value - especially in the off peak times.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank puzzls
Reviewed February 12, 2010

I've been to Sparhawk twice and couldn't be happier with each stay. The people go out of their way to assist you at all times and the property is beautiful. It is an older property but you would never know it...stay here and enjoy the best view in Maine. I don't think there's a room on the property without a good view (at least from the main part of the inn).

I've also stayed in the 2 bedroom cottage. It's perfect for a family.

Whoever keeps the grounds needs a raise!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank alwaysontheroad2008
Reviewed December 10, 2009

There's nothing else to say but this is the best hotel in Ogunquit.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We booked the 2 bedroom suite. It was spacious and very comfortable and the view over the sea wall spectacular. We walked the Marginal Way each day that we were there and enjoyed the gardens that lined the path. This is a beautiful spot and we all felt that the staff were pleasant and helpful. We definitely hope to stay here again,

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I can't think of a better place to stay in Ogunquit. The oceanfront rooms right above the seawall have an awesome view of the coastline and the rising moon. The resort sits right at the start of the Marginal Way which winds its way down to Perkins Cove. Turn in the other direction and in two minutes you are in the middle of the village with its multitude of restaurants and shops and what equates to "night life" in Ogunquit.. The rooms are well kept and decorated and you are surrounded by flower gardens that have been featured in national magazines. In our experience, the staff is outstanding and goes out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one.

The only downside is that it's almost always fully booked months ahead of time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends