“Immaculate, peaceful, relaxing...”

The Sparhawk Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed August 5, 2005

Just got back from a few nights stay at the Sparhawk... We stayed in the Ireland House, which has an angled view of the Ocean. We found the room to be very comfortable, roomy, sound proofed well, and exceptionally clean. We enjoyed the balcony, although it can get noisy when air conditioners are running. Ocean front rooms appear to have a wonderful view. Location provided easy access to the shops and restaurants, and is a ten minute walk to beautiful Ogunquit beach. The Sparhawk is located directly at one end of the marginal way and I enjoyed the easy access for a sensational morning jog each morning and a sunset walk with my husband most evenings. There was nice mix of ages during our stay, ranging from some elderly regulars who appeared to know each other from years of vacationing the same week, families with young children to teens, and empty nesters. The breakfast buffet was primarily a generous selection of nice breakfast breads...english muffins, toasting breads, bagels, homemade muffins...cereals, fruit cup, coffee/tea, and banana's. Easy to choose a healthy breakfast, and tempting to overindulge in the carb-fest. Overall...very nice!

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank motr

Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2005

My sister and I have been staying at the Sparhawk for several years, my sister and her husband have been going there for 14 years. According to their rules, in the peak months you MUST stay a WEEK, no less. We have been staying the same full week. Because THEY decided to change our plans, we were only booked for 6 days!!! Because we trusted them we made a foolish error in judgement and didn't look closely at the fact they changed our stay, we came back from the beach (not knowing we had to check out that day) to find all of our luggage packed and toiletries and MEDICINE...thrown in a box. It was HORRIFYING!!!! That had packed all of our belongings and had them on the blacktop. We were totally mortified. We realize that we made a mistake, but NEVER did they state this fact when we checked in or there after!!!! I never was treated so poorly in my life!!!!! They treated us like dirt! We could afford to stay anywhere and chose this place based on their "RATING" and "POLICIES". Well everyone BEWARE!!!!!! I wouldn't send my worst enemy to the SPARHAWK....... Another fact I would like to state is that the people are NOT all friendly. The morning server for breakfast is RUDE and the General Manager is RUDE. There are several nice people there, but trust me, it is not the "Beautiful Place by the Sea"!!!!

Stayed: July 2005
48  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 8, 2005

I visit with my family every year in spring and sometimes late summer or fall. The grounds are beutiful and there is direct acess to Marginal Way-Always a spectacular walk. The rooms are updated every few years and are decorated very classicly. I like the Ireland House best, close to the Ocean. The view from the porch is magnificent. The pool is warm when we don't feel like the beach or a day trip. It has a lot of repeat bussiness, which says something about the high standards they keep. There are children but most of the visitors are adults looking to relax at the beutiful place by the sea.

• Stayed: August 2004
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2005

Stayed here this past weekend. On arrival we were sent to a motel room that was said to be overlooking the ocean, it did have an ocean "view" but one had to strain to see it. Our room was one of the 'new' rooms, or rather just redone and I mean just. The paint fumes were unreal, brought tears to our eyes and as I have asthma I spent the weekend wheezing and feeling really uncomfortable. It poured rain, which of course wasn't the Sparhawk's fault, but we spent as much time away from the room as possible, as my sister (visiting from Venezuela) felt that the air was too toxic. At night we left the windows open to try and dilute the fumes, and to our dismay it smelled like the sewage was backing up, possibly due to the excessive rain? we were told it was low tide..... I don't THINK so, we've spent every summer and spring in Maine for close to 50 years, and can tell the difference between low tide and sewage. A very nice woman named Barbara tried to get rid of the smell by using an ionizer, which worked for about 2 hours... oh well, other than her other staff were not particularly helpful or friendly. The breakfast is basically starch, toast, english muffins, and bottled fruit salad, there were bananas that were cut into 3's?? and concentrated orange juice that got sludgy in the glass.
All in all we wouldn't return to this place, maybe the weather (remember we're regular Maine goers), but more the impersonal atmosphere of this place, it is big and you don't get the ocean view nor the wonderful salt air smells we were SO looking forward to. All in all very average.
For a treat, try the place next door, we went and checked it out on one of our many walks in the rain, it's called the Beachmere, has spectacular views of the beaches and ocean, it's perched on the cliff on the Marginal Way, many rooms have fireplaces and the price is the same as the Sparhawk. Here you go..... ---------

38  Thank kfauteux
Reviewed March 14, 2005

what is all the fuss here? these are basic strip motel rooms with a really
great view if you like water. i do. the staff is definitely pleasant, the checkin area is nice-some flair to it. still, for a head in a bed with accoutrements, this is definitely not it in ogunquit. there are better.

• Stayed: July 2004
18  Thank yatmeh
Vermont
Reviewed January 21, 2005

I stayed at the Sparhawk for just two short days last July 2004, and I loved it, my parents rented a room for a week and I came up to visit. It's incredible, you can walk everywhere, the grounds are beautiful and everyone was very friendly. My mom and I have already booked for July 2005, and this time I'm staying the whole week! The only bummer was the breakfast, not very impressive considering we're paying an arm and a leg, but when you bring your coffee back to the room and enjoy it on your ocean-front deck, it all comes into perspective a little....
The fact that the resort is central to the Marginal Way walking path is great, too; we took a few walks over to the other side (can't remember the name of the place) and ate at some more great restaurants. All in all, if you love Maine, the ocean and great seafood, stay here and enjoy!!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 7, 2004

Our family enjoyed the Sparhawk this summer and the staff was wonderful. The only drawback was that it is 80 percent people over 65 and we felt the kids had to be totally quiet. We felt like we were in a retirement community. The grounds couldn't be prettier and I can see why the older people like to go and relax there, but for families with energetic kids I don't recommend it. They have the same people come back every year, so it is very difficult to get a summer reservation anyway. I just happened to call one day in May and there was a cancellation in August. The only other complaint were the RUDE New Yorkers, I feel sorry for the employees there having to deal with those people.

13  Thank BamaBoysMom