“Don't stay here!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Cliff House Spa
Reviewed September 18, 2007

The price was high, the room was average, the staff and owner were inconsiderate. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! Don't be fooled by the high-end web site and the seaside view. This is a mediocre stay at best. What makes it a terrible hotel is the total lack of customer service.

I booked a spa room for 1 night and knew from the moment I hit the check-in desk that I had wildly overpaid. The reception staff was nothing special, valet was strictly self-service, the bedspread was polyester and the room had a nice view of the parking lot below. I immediately asked for my money back and was told that I needed to e-mail the owner who would get back to me in a couple days. Of course, the reception staff would not even let me use their computer to send an e-mail. While I was waiting 45 minutes to speak with the reception manager, one of the staff bragged to me about a guest who was hospitalized mid-stay and was still forced to pay the whole bill. Nice!

The staff and owner have no clue when it comes to customer service! I gave them the chance to make good (since I did not use the room.) The owner refused and said I was irrational when I said I would post my experience on Trip Advisor and other web sites. Well here it is! I feel confident that this review will cost the Cliff House more than the $350 they owe me.

20  Thank Lex862

Reviewed August 3, 2007

We have just returned from a five day stay at The Cliff House Spa/hotel. Admittedly, we were a bit desperate to find a place because we had a last minute week off and were thankful to find a decent place to stay. The hotel was recently renovated, but ONLY in the "spa" section which includes the spa and some beautiful rooms. We have three children and no children are allowed in the spa section
of the hotel. Our room (at $325.00 per night) was in the old section. This room was old, the wallpaper was peeling off, the bathroom though clean was yellowing and old, the mirror was all scarred up. The A/C unit was so very old and covered in dust, it was also so loud we couldn't stand it. The bedspreads and curtains were very dated. The view however was magnificent, right on the water. I guess that's what you pay for. The oceanside lounge was OK but extremely high priced cocktails and to get someone to wait on you usually required getting up and finding someone. The morning coffee service is also set up in this oceanside lounge and it's coffee, period. No muffins, etc. plus they provide only paper cups! The carpet in the lounge was filthy from the night before, all crumbs and there were dead bugs on the windowsills. Not a great way to start your morning! No meals were included in our stay. No morning paper either. Even Comfort Inn does this!! Beware, they tack on a $5.00 a day charge for housekeeping, we ran back in our room after checking out to grab the tip we had left for the maids! The outdoor family pool water is clear and seems clean. The border around the pool is moldy and breaking up. Again, all views from this hotel are spectacular and it is clear to us now that this is indeed what you pay for. Think twice before booking here.

20  Thank annie3NewHampshire