“Great Location but Updating is Needed”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Seacastles Resort Inn and Suites
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Maine
“Great Location but Updating is Needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The resort is located in the heart I'd town right near the Marginal Way and in walking or trolley-riding distance to everything. We stayed there about 15 years ago and it was new and fresh and now it is pretty old and tired. The towels and sheets are nearly threadbare!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KaseyME

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dorchester, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Nice stay at the Seacastles in Ogunquit.
We arrived at the hotel early, our room was not ready, that was just fine we just wanted to head to the beach. The FD staff was very friendly kept our cooler until we came back from the beach. Our studio was simple very clean; room’s are outdated but comfortable and very clean. Full kitchen and plenty of space in the studio. During our stay we used the hot tub also the grills available to the guest to cook, in case you don’t want to deal with the long wait at all the restaurants in Ogunquit during the summer.
If you don’t mind the outdated 90’s décor, great place to stay, for a long weekend or a week since all the rooms have full or partial kitchens. Great location, close to all the attractions in Ogunquit. Have fun!!

Room Tip: Use the pool and hot tub!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Guillermo L
Ludlow, VT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This hotel is in a great location and the exterior is for the most part well kept which would make you believe the interior may be the same....not so much. The rooms are very very outdated and the beds and sofa beds are horrible. We have stayed at Sea Castles 3 times over the course of 5 years and have never stayed in a room that is "with the times". TV's are very very old and the bedding whether it be the sofa bed or the bed itself are horrible. Units interior is as I mentioned earlier very dated, furniture is old and dated, tables the same.....Wallpaper is usually coming off the walls, bath tub felt like it was going to fall through the floor. Another minus with this resort is the FD is not open 24 hours so if you have an issue that is not an emergency you are out of luck after 11pm. The guest above us were extremely loud all night and partied until the early morning hours making it impossible for us to sleep and no avenue to get them to stop as the desk was closed, only option was to confront them yourself....was not going to happen. Another huge minus of this place is I have yet to find a unit in which the air conditioner works correctly and given it was 91 degrees this was not a goof thing. Would be a superior establishment if interior up keep was a priority and minor very inexpensive cosmetic things were fixed regularly but they are not. Also make sure your dishes are done before you leave or be prepared to pay $25.00 another thing done here at Sea Castles that is a rarity amongst hotels today, if you are paying to stay somewhere, you have to do the dishes...........? Overall not a bad place and the location is great but very outdated, no up keep and the management does not seem to mind at all. If you stay here you will be dissapointed by the rooms as the outside makes it appear as though the inside will be as nice.... Management seems to think that location will sell this place so the can slack on other areas, they may get away with it for the times being but eventually something is going to need to be done.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Northeast82
Phillipsburg, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our first time in O we stayed here for Memorial Weekend and we are so glad that we did! It was rainy sat and a cold and windy Sunday but the indoor pool/hot tub was great! Our 3 year old, loved it. We appreciated the kitchenette to save some $ on simple things like snacks, a pasta night, etc. especially due to our rambunctious child with food allergies- its easier for us and less stress then eating out all day, every day. The Inn was in a perfect spot to start the Marginal Way walk AND/ Or to walk to the beach. The beach here is very child friendly because one side is on the river with almost no waves- but if you want the full ocean experience just walk 2 minutes to the other side of the little beach island. Also the cost was very reasonable I guess compared to those across the street ON the ocean side in the room we were in I could open the blinds and see the sunrise over the ocean.

Room Tip: Fitness center here=indoor pool with hot tub and outdoor jacuzzi on patio.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
ManagerNorseman, Manager at Seacastles Resort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing Seacastles Resort Inn & Suites. Our hotel is ideally situated on Shore Road directly across the street from the Marginal Way entrance. Families appreciate our variety of room and suite layouts and all units are equipped with either full or partial kitchens. BBQ grills are also available during the warm months. Many guests enjoy the option of dining in their rooms - especially during the summer when restaurants are very busy and not always conducive to dining with small children. All attractions are within walking distance and the trolley stop is right in front of the hotel. Our indoor heated swimming pool and whirlpool or outdoor hot tub are great for casual relaxation. Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to hosting your next visit to Ogunquit.
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at Seacastles and had a wonderful vacation. The location was perfect we could walk into town for meals and entertainment . Across the street was the path to marginal way a beautiful walkway that skirts the ocean shore and ends at Perkins Cove!! Thank you for such a wonderful visit!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lois40955
Northboro, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We're old Ogunquit/York fans and have overnighted in most of the standbys....the Cliff House, Anchorages in Ogunquit and York Beach, and many others. Seacastles was referred to us by good friends a couple of years ago and it has been our hotel of choice when we stay in Ogunquit, almost always off season when their prices are dirt cheap.

Our room has always been clean and suite-like, with a divider between the bedroom and sitting room/kitchen which provides good space. No problems there. As a daily lap swimmer I enjoy their really good indoor pool. And the hotel is just across the road from an entrance to the Marginal Way. On our trip this past weekend the wi-fi worked well (a tad tricky to get going) and the staff was very pleasant. We like the fact that the property is near the center of town and just yards from a couple of very good restaurants.

Here are some relatively minor quibbles:

- they leave it to guests to turn on lights in the pool area, and the pool itself. I had a hard time getting this through my thick skull as it got dark and I could barely see what I was about to bump into. A sign is needed.

- the bathrooms now feature these new little tiny toilets and are a pain in the neck if one is tall, and given there are no grab bars anywhere in sight, a bit of unnecessary exercise to get up. They are too far from the bath/shower to be useful in getting in and out. I find this oddly common in Maine hotels.

- the shower area contains only one tiny grab bar, and that is to its rear, making it very difficult to navigate. I find this whole bathroom set up rather odd and could be somewhat dangerous.

- how about some decaf coffee, and some tea?

I have a minor disability and seldom ask for a handicap room, assuming there may be someone worse off than me. But come on folks, get in a couple of grab bars in good strategic locations. I did discover after a day that there are folding chairs in the closet one could use in the bathroom, but still no grab bars; just a creaky shower rod to use.

The overall laws of Maine strike me as odd as far as disabilities go. I noticed that new devices, at 6k apiece, are now required for all pools and hot tubs in commercial facilities to help customers get in and out. But many of the businesses and restaurants we visited had no handicap parking (which I needed during the snow storm that came up the coast while we were there). One hotel we stayed at on the coast a couple of years ago had a brand new building, but its bathrooms were totally without grab bars, stools, or anything helpful. When I wrote the owner to complain she responded that "we are in compliance with state laws." I guess that was for my lawyer in the event I slipped and killed myself. I don't want to make a big deal of this, but its only when customers are critical that things get fixed, or state change their laws.

Like another reviewer here I don't really like these deposit laws in Maine, particularly in the off season. We travel all over the country and most of the time find that hotels and resorts are far more flexible.. So a bad snowstorm is coming, the roads will be dangerous, and we are still out our deposit????

This all said, we would certain return to Seacastles, and I guess that's the bottom line.

Room Tip: Bottom floor. No elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rkgood
Ellington, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

If only staying one night their "deposit" to hold the room it the total amount of the room cost. Upon reserving,they immediately charge the credit card for the total amount and invoice with the date reserved as the date stayed on the the credit card statement.
When I booked my reservation(March 16th overnight stay) I was told only half the amount of the room was required for deposit. I booked two months in advance, on Januarary 16th, my credit card was charged the total amount and on my credit statement it indicated I stayed on January 16th and the total amount of the rooms reserved was charged.... that gives them 2 months to play with my money..... obsured!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ann v
ManagerNorseman, Manager at Seacastles Resort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
We require a deposit equivalent to the room rate plus tax for one night when the reservation is made. Therefore, if you stay one night, then your deposit for that night will be applied to your credit card when your reservation is confirmed. This policy is routine in resort areas and is certainly common practice for the majority of hotels in Ogunquit. There is no need for the buyer to be aware when reserving at our hotels because our policies are clearly stated on our website, rate sheets and confirmations. I am sorry if there was a verbal misunderstanding regarding deposit requirements when your reservation was confirmed.