“Another great stay at The Mariner”
Review of Mariner Resort

Mariner Resort
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 30, 2009

Stayed at The Mariner for the second time in May/June. Once again, the property was extremely clean and expertly maintained, and the people were lovely. The owners and the people who work there know the area firsthand and give terrific suggestions as to what to do, where to eat ,where to shop, etc. It's impressive that they take your interests into account and are more than happy to help you plan you stay accordingly. Basically, what one would expect from a hotel but rarely finds in this day and age--and that makes all the difference. The hotel is very comfortable. The spotless full-size refrigerator and microwave are a wonderful convenience. It's relaxing to be able to see the salt marsh and ocean from your balcony. It's refreshing to have windows you can open and breathe the fresh ocean air, and watching the sun rise over the ocean is dazzling.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 5, 2009

We've visited the Mariner for quite a few years. It's the type of place one wants to return to. Always immaculate, very large room, fridge, microwave, indoor & outdoor pool, exercise room. It's easy to meet people there who are return guests.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed 2 nights at the Mariner Resort. This is a very family friendly destination that is well maintained with courteous service, an indoor/outdoor pool, coffee/tea in the morning and conveniently located near Ogunquit beach.

It is a mid-priced location and I would recommend to anyone looking for this type of accommodation.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

While not opulent, the rooms are clean, grounds are kept neat, and there is a friendly staff whose members are always willing to help. There is an outdoor swimming pool as well as an indoor one for the guests unwilling to brave the cool Maine air. A hot tub is also available for the hikers and bikers who need to indulge their overstrained muscles. (Or the guest who, like me, simply can't pass up the opportunity to relax in one!) The location is very convenient to several restaurants and quite a bit of shopping. My husband and I stay here once or twice a year and we would never think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I booked a room here because my family was accompanying me on a business trip where I would be away for two of the days leaving my wife without a car and with a teen and a child to entertain. Since I would have the car Oqunquit was my choice for a "base" while in southern Maine as there is the trolley which is a cheap way to get around and my wife and kids would not get stuck in the motel while I was out for the day. I specifically chose the Mariner Resort because they have a large outdoor pool and an indoor heated pool, and considering the poor weather the first half of the summer I didn't want to trap my family in a motel room if it rained when I was with the clients.

I checked into their standard double queen room and was happy to see that it was large enough for a family of four. The rooms were clean, there was a full size fridge and a microwave, a 27 inch TV and a hair dryer with an iron and full size ironing board. In front of each room are two deck chairs and a table allowing you to enjoy the cool evening air... made more enjoyable as this is the last hotel in Ogunquit so the traffic is light and there is not the constant din of traffic you get closer to the center of town. They also have a small fitness room and nice sized hot tub. The only option for internet is a wireless connection, but it is not only lightning fast, the connection was rock steady allowing me to stay connected to my company's VPN without having to sign in repeatedly.

Unlike some of the smaller motels and B&B's in Ogunquit The Mariner has ample parking and it is free. The trolly to Perkin's Cove, Ogunquit Beach, or downtown is quick and pleasant and stops in front of the motel, so you can park your car for the length of your stay if you chose to.

But without a doubt the one aspect above all that helped The Mariner to earn a rating of excellent was the service. EVERY staff member I talked to was polite and friendly and truly appeared interested that every guest had a great experience while staying there.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank purple_gorillaz
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I literally checked out every Ogunquit motel website over a two-week period, seeking the best deal and finally settled on The Mariner, hoping it would meet our expectations - and it did.
We stayed in a family suite (one separate bedroom/one bedroom combined kitchen) on the upper floor with a large deck and beautiful view of the ocean in the distance. The rooms are larger than most standard motel units and contained an apartment size refrigerator, full size microwave, oak dining table and chairs. We couldn't have been happier with the cleanliness and freshness.
There were no instances of moldy smells that we could detect, in fact we all commented on how impeccable it was. All the furniture was perfectly acceptable and the beds comfortable, however, the pillows are a bit flat so bring your own if you're fussy. The TVs are older models (not flat screen) but unless you plan to spend alot of time in the room this shouldn't matter. Air conditioners are new but rather noisy. Bathroom is clean, updated and adequate with no frills.
The exterior facilities are exceptionally nice: large outdoor pool/smaller indoor pool and gated hot tub. Plenty of tables and chairs to sit or recline. Grounds are very well groomed and the facade of the motel itself is kept looking fresh and new.
Location to beaches and town is not the best but the trolly, which picks up and drops off in front of the motel, runs frequently and only costs $1.50. Parking in town is not recommended but beaches have good sized parking lots for a $15 fee. Lots of restaurants nearby and a Hannaford supermarket is about a 7 minute drive away.
Based on my extensive internet research I would say we made an excellent decision in choosing The Mariner!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank abcdefghMontreal
Reviewed July 14, 2009

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and seeing the #4 ranking, I made a reservation for this "resort motel". We were disappointed with our choice. The property is best described as a motel with a pool. While the room was clean, it was extremely "tired" and had a moldy smell to it. When we arrived the windows were opened in an attempt to eliminate the odor. There are a number of nicer places to stay in Ogunquit at basically the same price. If you are looking for a motel, you may be comfortable at this location. However, this particular motel will disappoint you if you are expecting a "resort motel" as it is advertised.

On the positive side, the individuals working at the front desk and manager of the motel were very nice and helpful. Management states the motel will be updated by spring of next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank VacationLoverUSA
scottfortin, owner at Mariner Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2009

While we are disappointed that we did not meet your needs, please be assured that we update our rooms regularly and our online photos accurately reflect our rooms. While your room did have the window open at check, which is our standard occurrence, it was not to hide any smells. Our apologies that the room arrangements and décor did not meet your personal preferences for this stay. We are in the process of redecorating all of our rooms which yours was not one of them. We did offer you a suite, which were recently updated, however you refused to see one and wanted to be “closer to town”.
While we regret that there were concerns during your stay, we appreciate your business and thank you for sharing your opinion