“Great place for breakfast”
Review of Early Bird

Early Bird
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we arrived there was a waiting line, but it didn't take long to get a seat. The staff is great and take your order and process the food quickly. It's a good place for breakfast with a large selection of food and quite economical. I would go again.

1  Thank littleenlen

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is a very friendly and popular place to eat breakfast. While waiting in line, a local couple asked if we'd like to pair up to take a larger table that was open. We jumped at the opportunity and were well rewarded with a fun breakfast learning local hot spots and playing trivia with the questions on the menu. The Early Bird's homemade cinnamon bun is an insanely delicious and quite hefty treat that can be a side order for a large party, and maybe still not get finished. Oh, and I also enjoyed my omelet lots too.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have eaten breakfast at the Early Bird several times when I was in the area. This is a good local eatery with friendly servers, large portions, good food and reasonable prices. I can't see any reason for going anyplace else for breakfast when I am in town. I recommend the large pancake with strawberries with the real maple syrup. The coffee is very good - not too strong. Don't wait to be seated; just wait until you spot an empty table and sit down.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I really enjoyed watching the various people at this restaurant. It's a crowded place. The earlier you arrive the older the people are. As the morning progresses, younger people start to arrive.

We were traveling with friends and ate breakfast here on a Tuesday morning about 8 am. There were ten of us, so we were able to try lots of items on the menu. My family of four was visiting for the first time. Two of the people live in the area. The other four travel here each year. This is a tradition for them, and we were happy to be a part of it.

I had the breakfast sandwich, which I enjoyed very much. It was a normal portion size. Most of the other items that I saw (biscuit, pancakes, wrap) were huge. I've never seen a biscuit that tall. One person ordered it whole, but the other ordered it sliced into thirds and toasted. It arrived with tons of butter, but it's definitely the way to order the biscuit. The raisin bread was thick with lots of butter/margarine on it. Actually it seemed like it was a liquid that was poured over it.

I thought the hash brown was good because it wasn't too greasy. I know someone else said theirs was very greasy, but that was not my experience.

The four teenage boys enjoyed their food, eating the majority of it. They did comment that the bacon was just okay.

The adults were all happy, but commented that the coffee was weak.

This is certainly not fine dining, but it was a good way to see some of the local people.

Oh, I forgot to mention how fast and friendly the service was. The prices were right too.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Even my kids were disgusted! The pancakes tasted like paper (that is NOT an exaggeration!) and everything was soaked in margarine. My husband could have squeezed his hashbrowns out like a sponge! Even the homemade toast was airy and flavorless...seems like they are going as cheap as possible on everything. We eat farm eggs at home and they are bright yellow - the eggs we ate this morning were pale butter color and bland. And no joke, my husband and daughter were sick (food poisoning??) 4 hours after eating there! We do a lot of cooking and LOVE good food - this is the worse restaurant we have tried in Maine! We had to eat at Denny's recently on vacation and even that was better! Yikes!

Been to Early Bird? Share your experiences!