All reviewsbowling alleyhiking trailsbedroom cabinfitness centerscreened in porchleather chairsprivate beachthree bedroomgas stovefull kitchentennis courtscooking utensilssmall kitchenetteown bathroomfire pitrustic feelknotty pine
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed here for a friend's wedding and it was great! Customer service was friendly, we LOVED the cabin style lodging, and took advantage of the trails on the property for running/hiking as well as the workout facility (fantastic gym). We bowled with the wedding party the night before; and the wedding, which was held onsite, was absolutely beautiful and the staff was great. We had lunch from the restaurant on site and it was delicious!! The surrounding area of coastal Maine offers so much to do also.

• Stayed: August 2011
DHendrix, General Manager at Point Lookout, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Thank you for your kind review. I am thrilled to hear about your experience. Point Lookout is really the perfect spot for a wedding. With the amazing views and all of the activities, there is really something for everyone.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

The location was superb for a wedding. The log cabins were magnificent in size, location and equipment. I had never slept in such a large bed before. Plenty of walks around the site. The cafe served superb meals. The view from the summit had the 'Wow' factor for the wedding reception.
Excelent and Amazing weekend

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia P
DHendrix, General Manager at Point Lookout, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you for you kind review. I am thrilled that you were able to experience much of what Point Lookout has to offer and I hope you can return again soon.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Point Lookout isn’t the kind of place I normally look for as a vacation spot; when I read “resort” I think golf courses, swimming pools, saunas, fitness centers; in other words nothing I need or want while I’m on vacation. What I do appreciate are beautiful vistas, nice paths for strolling or hiking, and woods---and this is what Point Lookout has in abundance. They do have some of the other resort features, including a ball field and a top-of-the-mountain event center, but no golf course. (It would be a real challenge to build one on the mountainside on which this place is situated.) The event center has nice views of Penobscot Bay and the ocean, though parts of the view are obstructed by overgrown trees; don’t get me wrong, trees should be preserved when possible, and the resort developer did so, but it seemed to me that many of the ones in the worst possible places view-wise have grown in the last few years and could have easily been thinned. At any rate, if the event center isn’t event-ing you can go up there for a cocktail and look at the view, on the deck or inside if it’s cold. And that brings me to one of the problems with the place: events were scheduled on two of the three days we stayed there and the road up to the summit was off limits to all but event related traffic. It’s one thing to make money renting out beautiful facilities, another to take money from non-event guests and prevent them from enjoying some of the best aspects of the resort. Maybe this is typical of such places, but, as I mentioned, I don’t usually go to resorts. The two times we did manage to go up there, once at sunset and another time in the morning, the staff we came across seemed strangely wary, as if we were party crashers even though there was no party at the time.

We stayed in one of the smaller log cabin-cottages nestled (crammed might be a better description) in the evergreen woods that grow on much of the resort’s hillside. Parking for the cabins was an afterthought when they built the twisty-turny driveways in the cottage areas, so if you’re driving an ark you might want to ask for a cottage with extra parking (if there are any). We appreciated the bottle of champagne and a cheese tray set out on the dining table, but there was only one wine glass. The cottage was actually nicer than I expected it to be, clean, up to date in most ways, with heating and cooling. There was a small but quite useable kitchenette. The bed had two tiny pillows (maybe bunk bed size?) that were so useless that on the second day we dropped by the front desk to ask for two more. The woman at the desk didn’t seem all that interested nor optimistic about our chances of getting pillows, and didn’t explain why this might be a problem. Honestly, most motels keep extra pillows in the room itself, and if you need more they're happy to oblige. Fortunately, two large pillows were delivered to our cottage just before we went to bed, after 9 PM, so it worked out---though just barely. Whereas the TV is an ancient cathode ray deal, there is cable, and, something I really liked, a Bose Wave Radio/CD player. Wireless internet worked well (and worked without fuss). The bath was spacious, with a shower stall, but there wasn’t anywhere to put anything when using it, I mean nowhere; clothes and other articles just have to go on the floor, which I thought strange.

There is a decent place for breakfast opposite the reception/front desk building. The best part of breakfast there for me was unlimited quantities of Wicked Joe’s coffee. We had breakfast there three times; twice the quantities in the breakfast specials seemed stingy, but French toast on the third day was better. (Whatever happened to the standard more-than-you-can-eat Downeast breakfast of old?) Mainly it’s a convenience not to have to search for a place to eat in the morning when you’d rather be on the road to Mount Battie or Camden.

On the whole I’d recommend Point Lookout even though it’s a touch on the pricey side. It’s only about seven miles from Camden, maybe 10 to Belfast, and the area is indescribably beautiful. I think the staff could be a bit more friendly and welcoming, but perhaps that’s a failing of resorts in general . . . I wouldn’t know.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HillYankee101

Thank you for your review. The views are amazing and there are locations throughout the resort with trees that can obstruct some view. We work diligently with the preservation land trust to ensure that we help to maintain the beauty of the Maine Woods.

I do apologize that the Summit was not open for periods of your stay, but the Summit offers some of the premier meeting and wedding space on the coast of Maine and it is booked frequently.

Thank you again for your review and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at Point Lookout in August with my wife and two sons. First the grounds are very nice and offer unbelievable views of the nearby harbor. The building where you check in also houses the gym. Although we did not use the workout equipment, it all appeared to be very modern and was located in a very large space. There is also a full size indoor gym/basketball court that my sons had all to themselves. there is also a squash and racketball court that we did not use. We booked a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom cabin. Everything was very clean, bordering on looking brand new. I highly recomend this resort to anyone with or without children. The cost of the cabins is a little high, but in this case you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LI2363

Thank you for your kind review and I am glad you were able to use our state of the art fitness facilities. I hope you can stay with us again and make sure you check out our Field Turf Soccer Field. I think your sons will love it.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here for three nights in a double bedroom, double bathroom cabin with kitchen and sitting area. We got an excellent rate considering the place which has very extensive grounds plus fitness center and bowling alley. The rooms though not large had very comfortable beds, and the sitting area and porch more than made up for the lack of space in the BRs. Breakfast wasn't included, but there is a cafe on site which was fine. The location was very good for the things we wanted to do.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends