“Not an Inn and Overpriced”

Kimball Terrace Inn
Reviewed August 24, 2012

A somewhat large incongruous building dominating one part of a small and otherwise quite agreeable town. Our first though was “how did they get away with building that here?”! Mixed feeling about this place, the room was fine, basic, clean and OK and had it been about $60 cheaper probably worth the price. As it was at over $200 it was well overpriced and frankly not worth it.

Baffled as to how a place can call itself an inn and not provide a comprehensive breakfast. There is no served food available - there is a restaurant next door which apparently is a totally different business to the “Inn” and does open for an overpriced continental breakfast (bowl of granola with half a sliced banana - $8), no cooked food is available. Advice for breakfast is to walk in to the town to the Colonel’s Cafe.

However, all the staff were very friendly and quite engaging to the point of making one feeling guilty about criticising the place but the reality is that I think the Kimball is well overpriced for what it offers and not providing breakfast is a major failing.

That said, I’d stay again but not at that price - this place is a big motel, it is certainly not an inn!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Platz

Reviewed July 30, 2012

At $185/night during peak I think we could've found a much better place if we looked around. And after taking one look at the room, I think I would've paid more to go somewhere else. If you just need a place to crash I guess it was okay but I don't think the place has had an upgrade since at least 1985. From the cheesy gift shop to the lounge, to the shag carpet and hard mattresses, to the less than accommodating staff when we asked for fine dining suggestions, I would NOT recommend this place for a couple's get-away. We avoided the restaurant/lounge all together. We'll have to plan better next time....On the contrary, we stumbled on the Asticou Azalea Gardens at the intersection of 3/198 which was a peaceful retreat and Northeast Harbor is a low-key town with a few nice spots along the way from Acadia. Had dinner at The Burning Tree which was fabulous!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Collin0407
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

The location is the best attribute of the Kimball Terrace Inn. The room prices are good compared to surrounding hotels, BUT (!) that does not mean it is a good value. Everything about this motel (trust me it is a motel at best) screams cheap. They have the cheapest mattresses, cheap and cheezy pillows, low quality (shag type) carpet, cheap soap in the bathroom, the lowest quality toilet paper you can buy, cheap skimpy towels that look like they came from Holiday inn in the 1970's. The furniture, drapes, tv's..., you name it. There is nothing about this motel that is even remotely luxury or even comfortable. They don't even give you real cream with the lobby coffee in the morning. They use those little packets of powdered cream. Whoever operates that place know how to pinch a penny, but, should be running a kids summer camp and not an Inn at Northeaat Harbor. What a waste of a fantastic location. I would rather spend a few more dollars and have a decent bed and room. Cheap price?
Sort of, but No value!!

I will add: I am not a motel snob. I travel a fair amount and stay at lower cost motels frequently. This place is the cheapest of the cheapest and not in a good way.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank MaineLoafer
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The room was clean and adequate size for 2 adults and 3 small kids. Nothing fancy, but perfect for a family. Kids ran around the lawn and enjoyed the pool, when we were not exploring the island. Staff was friendly and helpful. The Inn and town are very quiet and provided a great break from city life.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Only spent one night and for the location and price it works. Low season so we had a nice balcony room overlooking the harbor. Only had drinks in The Main Sail but did not like the smell from the kitchen-way to fishy so had dinner elsewhere. Cadillac mountain is a must!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We recently stayed two nights at the Kimball Terrace Inn while in Northeast Harbor for a wedding. I have to say, this is not what I would qualify as an Inn (no breakfast, no cozy rooms, marginal hospitality, etc...) and is more like a motel with room access outdoors. We stayed here as it was the recommended property for the wedding and was significantly less expensive than others in the area. You do, however, get what you pay for.

It appears they made an attempt to update the rooms, while still maintaining a 1980s / 1990s decor scheme. The rug was clean, but teal, and the bathroom was the most "updated" of the room (except the drain in the shower doesn't drain unless you lift it). The room had a musty smell to it when we walked in, so I opened the large sliding glass door to air it out. While unpacking, my husband went to put his clothes in a drawer and found a pile of dirty men's underwear! I immediately called the front desk and they send their (very pregnant) employee to come and retrieve them. We weren't offered any sort of apology or compensation for this disgusting discovery - just a "wow, that's gross" remark. The sheets were clean, but the beds were hard as a rock. I also think all of the rooms are appointed with two double beds, which makes for sleeping as a couple darn near impossible (and brings back thoughts of college). We ended up sleeping in our own beds each night.

I suggest bringing your own bath towels as the ones they provide don't fit around an average sized woman or man - they're very thin and not very absorbant, too.

The view of the harbor is very pretty and it's about 20 minutes or so from downtown Bar Harbor. You can walk to downtown Northeast Harbor from the motel - but there isn't a whole lot going on there.

We only ate at the Main Sail Restaurant once and that was where the wedding reception was held. Walking into the restaurant you were immediately hit with a sewer-esque bad smell, which didn't lend well to hungry guests. The server we had for our table was wonderful - the food was decent.

They say there is free WiFi but we couldn't ever get a signal in the room. Maybe it's only for rooms closer to the lobby - but this was an issue when we wanted to look things up on our iPhones or iPads and had to rely on spotty 3G service.

Overall, you absolutely get what you pay for. I would never willingly stay at this motel again, though. It's worth it to pay a little extra for better accommodations and hospitality.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KAllan07
Reviewed September 19, 2010

The Main Sail restaurant was quite good, not gourmet dining, but reasonably priced and food was good. Servers were great.
The biggest plus here is the location, right on the water, beautiful views and you can take a cruise from the dock. You can also walk a few blocks to the little town.
Rooms could use a little updating but are comfortable and clean.
I would visit this place again.

• Stayed: September 2010
Lindenwood Inn
#3 of 5 in Southwest Harbor
Best Western Acadia Park Inn
Holiday Inn Bar Harbor Regency

Been to Kimball Terrace Inn? Share your experiences!