“A Great Maine Island Experience”
Review of Nebo Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Haven
Nebo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 North Haven B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is a truly special place. I stayed over Columbus Weekend and was blessed with glorious weather - temps in the 80s - throughout my stay and this added to the experience. First, I will say that I love how they have decorated the inn. The Angela Adams decor is very lovely. In terms of the accommodations themselves, I stayed in Brimstone and it reminded me very much of stays at my Grandmother's home as a young girl. The bed was very comfortable, the room was spotless, and the large windows made the space bright and sunny. The partial water view from the room is also very nice. I travel often with my dog and I was pleased to find that the inn does offer one room that accepts dogs (the one I stayed in) with no extra pet fee and few restrictions. The placement of the room enables you to exit and enter the inn without many of the other guests (with the exception of the guests in the two other rooms on that wing) ever having to encounter your pet. In addition, the staff is very accommodating and friendly. They provided me with dinner on a tray so I could dine in my room, as preferred. They also provided me with a full list of scenic places to visit around the island and I visited every one of them. If you are going to stay more than a night, I highly recommend renting the bikes Nebo rents or bringing your car so you are able to explore the island. The food here is also excellent - particularly the breakfast - baked eggs, locally-sourced lamb sausage, homemade bread, and fresh coffee . . . you just can't get any better than that. I think this inn offers an exceptional value, particularly considering a full breakfast is included with each day of your stay. Four of the rooms offer shared baths (one bathroom per two rooms). Though this is not ideal for some travelers, the bathrooms are very clean and comfortable. Though I traveled solo (with my dog) I couldn't help thinking what a great romantic spot this would be for a couple. I'd love to return next fall with my husband.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank MaJolie72

Reviewed September 15, 2011

The rooms were spotless and of proper period decor. Close to the ferry. No need for a car. Great breakfast and excellent ambience. We opted to share a bath and it was no porblem at all. Handmade shampoos, in room robes, comfy bedding. Be sure and catch one of their special barn dinners done quarterly. Fabulous!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank randykristy
Reviewed September 12, 2011

While vacationing on the island of Vinalhaven this August, we decided haver dinner at Nebo Lodge on North Haven to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When we made our reservation we were told to be at the landing 20 minutes ahead of time and a boat arrived promptly to take us across the Thoroughfare, the legendary channel that separates the two islands. Just standing on the pier looking over to North Haven at twilight was a treat. Once ashore, we spent a few minutes strolling around the picturesque village and headed up the hill to Nebo Lodge, a lovely turn-of-the century home surrounded by gardens. As we ducked under the trellis leading to the entrance we noticed that it was enveloped by a lush squash vine, which was our first clue that that what lay ahead would be out of the ordinary.

Once inside we were greeted and led to our table, past the very lively bar and into a charming dining room, where every table was full ( on a Wednesday night ) and diners were clearly enjoying themselves. Tables were dressed with colorful vintage cloths and a vase of beautiful fresh flowers and herbs. Our young server quickly filled our drink order while we perused the menu and made the very difficult decisions as to what we'd order. Everything tempted - there were so many local grown or harvested options. Prices seemed extremely reasonable for island fare, so much of which must be imported. We started the local oysters, which were wonderfully briny and succulent- and the fried green tomatoes, their tartness offset by a marvelous light dressing. Our main courses- the locally raised beef burger and a very special salmon, were delicious and imaginative, and dessert, the first apple crisp of the season, was spectacular. It was a memorable meal, so good that we vowed to return to the Lodge this Fall to stay and enjoy the bounty of North Haven again. As we made our way down to the dock for our ride back to Vinalhaven, we took in the stars and agreed it had been a midsummer night's dream.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the inn, however, the public areas were lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wanderingwretch
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Our friend has a house on the adjacent island, Vinalhaven, and we decided to go across the water for dinner at Nebo's our first night. So, this review is just for dinner. They will come to get you from Vinalhaven if you make a reservation; it is about a 5 minute boat ride.

What followed was one of the best meals of my LIFE. Everything was just outstanding. I am salivating just thinking about it. We started with the fried squash blossoms which were great. My husband had the burger with fontina which he said was the best burger he ever had. I had the flounder wrap. However the dessert was out of this world-- caramel budino with salted caramel sauce-- one of the best things we've ever eaten. I would make the 3 hour drive back to Maine, and then the 75 minute ferry ride over, for this dessert alone. Can't wait to go back next year!!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jonnyboy83
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed at Nebo for two days with a friend visiting from Los Angeles and my two children. Our only regret is that we weren't staying for the summer!

If you've always wanted to experience an island community off the coast of Maine, Nebo Lodge on North Haven Island is it. After only a one hour ferry ride from Rockland, you land in the middle of a small island village where everyone knows everyone, all are met with a wave and a "hello", and life is somehow slowed to a pace we were likely meant for.

Nebo Lodge is a very few steps away from the ferry landing. It's a small lodge with very tasteful and clean rooms. In the late afternoon there is tea, during which you can meet other guests. There are bicycles to rent, and the island is very conducive to biking. I recommend the tour of Turner Farm (offered periodically during the summer), which is the island farm that provides food for the restaurant. Be sure to stop by the Waterman's Community Center, next to the ferry landing, as they have a schedule of island events and is a good gathering place. There is some nice shopping at some island gift stores, also in the village. Breakfast at the lodge was truly a wonderful Maine breakfast with an array of healthy choices.

Nebo's Restaurant is absolutely incredible - healthy fresh foods from island fishermen and farms. There is also a nearby place called the Landing, that has quick and healthy foods for lunch.

Nebo has free high speed internet available, and cell phone service was okay, despite being off shore.

We'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank MaineacFamilyof4
Reviewed September 7, 2010

North Haven is not for everyone...but if you're in search of a true- shut-out- the- world getaway amidst the beauty of the Maine coast, this is a wonderful place to land and Nebo Lodge is THE place to stay (never mind that it was the only place to stay over Labor Day Weekend). Nebo is a sophisticated inn without pretense. Eclectic furnishings, hand-painted scenic wall murals, dining room linens that look like they've come from grandma's closet - all contribute to the friendly, easy ambience. The food (again nowhere else to eat in early Sept. other than Island grocery store) is SUPERB! Fresh, homemade, local, celebrating the coast and state of Maine. Finally - Nebo is spotlessly clean with a charming, helpful staff who seem to really want to be there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BDG618
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This was our second trip to Nebo Lodge this summer. North Haven is a slice of heaven ten miles off the coast of Maine -- but unless you're lucky enough to have a friend who owns a house, there's only one place to stay. Luckily, Nebo Lodge is as unique, friendly, and cozy as the island itself. It's owned and staffed by islanders who stick to stringent green standards. Much of the linens, soaps, art is local. The rooms look like an upscale version of how you imagine your grandmother's seaside cottage to be. Not all of the rooms have a sea view -- the inn is up a side street from the harbor. Our room, Hurricane, had a queen bed, a comfy chair for reading, and a luxurious window seat big enough to really stretch out on -- with a partial view of the water. The rooms come with breakfast and breakfast is a real treat.

The inn also has a bar and restaurant and is clearly where to be seen and heard on a Saturday night in August. The food is fabulous, much of it locally grown, and simple American-style but with many original twists. Imagine a pickle platter as an hors d'oeuvre! Pickled beans, beats, fiddleheads, baby cukes, cheddar, etc.. Intriguing and imaginative all around.

If you go, don't bother to bring your car. You can rent bikes and explore the island, and work off some of that unforgettable food!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MaineAdvocate

Been to Nebo Lodge? Share your experiences!