“An incredible experience - not to be missed!”

Mahoosuc Guide Service
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Newry
More attraction details
Owner description: Mahoosuc Guide Service is a small family run business with over twenty years of experience. All of our trips are owner guided and a high percentage of our clients are returning as friends. Polly and Kevin are professional year round guides, equally comfortable poling a canoe up the Allagash or driving a dog team across the sea ice of Hudson Bay.Mahoosuc is unique in that we make much of the equipment we use on our guided trips, such as cedar canvas canoes, ash dog sleds and maple paddles. We have found the traditional equipment and materials we use to be durable, functional and in many ways preferable to today's high technology outdoor equipment. The craftsmanship that goes into our equipment is an extension of the care we put into each of our trips. We have traveled extensively in the north with the Cree and Inuit and many of the techniques we use for northwoods and tundra travel were developed by them. Mahoosuc Guide Service offers a wide variety of activities for all seasons and levels of experience.
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Until you have experienced this, any description will fail to do justice to the pure elemental joy of crossing a frozen land with dogs and experienced guides. Both dogs and guides are wise beyond a surburban comprehension and it is a priviledge to be able to be close to this, even tangentially for a weekend. Some highlights of my many previous trips

The intense beauty of the frozen world
The moment of comprehension that we can keep ourselves warm just by moving around. You only get cold when you stop
The infectious enthusiasm of the dogs to pull and run and their complete dedication to Polly and Kevin
Listening to the dogs singing with the local coyotes and the mysterious way that they all stop at the exact same moment - do they have a conductor?
In the middle of cacophany, hearing Kevin say, "I need to go out and investigate. There is one bark missing..." Yes, one dog was loose and running around laughing at and riling up all the others.
Standing around a bonfire on a frozen lake while a guide recited from memory "The Cremation of Sam Magee", with stars twinkling above and the temperature plummeting
Waking up to Polly starting the woodstove in our tent so that we dared venture out of our sleeping bags.
Etc....

Sorry to hear about phudge313's experience. Seems that Kevin was having a bad day (or two). He is a mountain man not a diplomat, and you obviously don't want to hire him for his phone skills. Neverthless Kevin is a sterling hearted man of the wilderness who makes his living working incredibly hard with no sick days or financial safety net. Don't we all have a favorite curmudgeon, whom we can totally trust?

This experience will change you - don't miss it!

5  Thank Ann G
Polly M, Owner at Mahoosuc Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Hi Ann, Thanks for the kind words. We love having your family out with us and look forward to another trip with you this year! Polly

Reviewed February 28, 2012

What an adventure! We just returned from a family weekend in the winter wilderness in Maine. We had the privilege of Polly at Mahoosuc Guide Service as the leader for the weekend. We cross country skied, slept in a canvas tent at the camp, assisted with camp chores and indulged in wonderful snacks and food prepared by Brian in the cook tent. Mahoosuc provided jackets, boots and all other elements, not a fashion forward moment; however the goal of warmth was achieved. The highlight of this adventure is definitely the dog sledding. Polly and Kevin run an authentic experience, educating everyone on dog sledding and the origins of the dogs. The dogs are all beautiful and very friendly, great with children and extremely well cared for; they are beautiful to watch as they perform their craft. Polly was outstanding and patient with children/teenagers as well as the adults (some of us are not great listeners), to make sure we executed the protocol for dog sledding correctly and that the dogs were protected from being injured. If you are looking for an offbeat adventure and the opportunity to bond with the family, set aside the technology and book a trip with Mahoosuc Guide service, you will have an outstanding time.

2  Thank Jen M

Hi Jen, Thanks so much for your review of your trip with us. We really appreciate it and we do love what we are doing. Our dogs are our family and it was nice to share them with "your family". Polly

Reviewed March 2, 2011

I recently signed up to go on a 3-day wilderness trip that was to be guided by Mahoosuc Guide Service, which is located in Newry, Maine. In November 2010 I put down a $200 deposit to reserve my spot on the trip, and then paid Mahoosuc Guide Service the balance of the trip cost, which was $450. The trip was supposed to take place February 19-21st 2011, but unfortunately due to a family medical emergency involving my mother who is suffering from a malignant brain tumor, I had to cancel the trip on February 18th.

I emailed Mahoosuc Guide Service to state I would not be able to make the trip, and I requested the company refund the $450 payment I made to them. I told them they could keep the $200 deposit due to the late notice of my cancellation. At no time was I ever notified of Mahoosuc's cancellation policy, which they have a legal obligation to state before accepting payment. On Tuesday, February 22nd 2011, I received a call from Kevin Slater, who is the co-owner of Mahoosuc to discuss my email requesting an email. He proceeded to berate me over the phone and insult me with profanities multiple times. He ultimately told me to "go [--] myself" and hung up the phone on me. Kevin ended up calling me back later the same evening and once again hung up on me after saying "go get a lawyer [--] chump".

For the life of me I cannot understand how a company can operate by treating their clients so poorly. Never in my life have I been so taken aback by the extreme disrespect and general lack of compassion Mahoosuc showed me. My friends who ended up going on the trip without me stated that he was not surprised in the least by the words Kevin said to me. He stated that while Kevin was guiding the trip he was extremely judging and disrespectful to the rest of the group because they were 'city kids' who did not have much experience out in the wilderness. I will never consider paying Mahoosuc for such services again.

12  Thank phudge313
Master G, Owner at Mahoosuc Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

One of our guides alerted us to this posting on Trip Advisor and thought it warranted a reply.
We have been in business for 23 years and have been very generous to people who have not been able to come on a trip that they have committed to. Every case is different from missed plane connections, bad weather for travelling, car accidents, illness for themselves or with a close family member, but we always work with the person and their individual case and offer either credit, partial credit and at times a partial refund depending on the situation. This client was no different. We were not notified he wasn’t coming on the trip until the night before when his friends arrived.
After the trip, we contacted him to see what was going on and then found out about his mother’s condition and offered, as we have done many times before, a credit for a year minus the deposit. He immediately threatened a law suit if we didn’t refund the full amount. Since his friends signed him up for the trip he had not taken time to become familiar with our cancellation policy which states by not coming on a trip, no refund or credit would be given.
We felt we were being nice to him but were only met with a very threatening person. After a number of emails and a couple of phone conversations we found this person very difficult to deal with. It is unfortunate that this situation happened at all and could have been dealt with in a much nicer way.