“Very Luxurious for a Ski Resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newry
Grand Summit Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newry
Holliston, MA
“Very Luxurious for a Ski Resort”
Reviewed January 20, 2010

Typically when we ski, we stay in a condo, but because we decided to take this trip at the last minute, we booked a room at the Grand Summit Hotel. After this trip we may never go back to the condos. The beds were very comfortable, soft with plush down comforters. We parents had a room too ourselves with a king size bed, flat screen tv, and pull out couch. The kids shared a murphy bed in the main area of the room which also had a flat screen tv and a blu-ray player. There is a full kitchen with a small stove, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and full-size refrigerator. Also a table that seats 6. From the aromas in the hallway, it seems like a lot of people take advantage of the kitchen to cook meals. That may bother some folks, but we were okay with it. Bathroom was modern and clean, the shower curtain liner was brand new. We had plenty of room. There is a shuttle that will take you to the various lodges, or you can ski in/out directly from the hotel. The staff was extremely nice, they all made us feel very welcome. The breakfast buffet was very good. We didn't hear noise from any other rooms, but we were on the 3rd floor, so no one was above us. We really enjoyed the pool, hot tub, and steam room. You don't often get a chance to swim in an outdoor pool in January! We had a great weekend, and we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank JaneJetson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Signed up for a "package deal" here this weekend, which was to include room, lift tickets and breakfast. The construction of this hotel is so poor that you can literally hear every sound in rooms above, below and beside you. I called the front desk, and they moved my room. This did not help--the noise from above sounded like a family jumping up and down in ski boots. This was at 11:00pm.

I called the front desk several times, and was basically told "tough luck." We decided that it was not worth staying, and drove back at midnight.

The construction of the buildings was very obviously done on the cheap, to the extent that the walls are like paper. The staff is clueless and not really interested in helping out.

Besides the shoddy construction, the type of clientele this place attracts does not live up to anything "Grand." It's basically an overpriced dorm in the mountains, with tons of pre-teens and college students running down the halls, shouting and making noise, with no noticeable adult supervision.

Fortunately, I was able to get a full refund on the spot. Never, never again!

Thanks for a great vacation, Sunday River.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank industryanalyst

Travelers are raving about these Newry hotels

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Summit during the 50th anniversary of Sunday River. There were some really wonderful things about the resort and then a few things that made it not the best it could've been.

Here were the great parts. The staff was incredible They were the nicest people, really. The doormen/bellmen were so pleasant and helpful with luggage and equipment. The wait staff at the restaurants were also wonderfully nice. They made me a vegetarian omelette at the upstairs cafe, since some of the food was pre-mixed with meat. The breakfast buffet food at the larger restaurant downstairs was really good and they had made-to-order omelettes. They served pancakes/french toast, oatmeal, fluffy scrambled eggs (not wet or too dry), fruit, and bacon/sausage, along with hash browns. The food was very good and fresh, though slightly smaller, it was better than most of the larger breakfast buffets at many of the bigger chain hotels.

The grand summit apparently renovated much of interior of the hotel over the summer. Having read older reviews, it really must have been a change, e.g., the carpeting. The public areas looked really nice.

I will say the few things I didn't like was the murphy bed with the new boyne beds. I suppose getting the murphy bed was our own fault, we should've paid more attention during booking. But the bed fell right into the little kitchenette area, kind of blocking the path to the dooryway and bathroom. -And having to make your own bed isn't on my list of things to do on vacation.

I wasn't a fan of the boyne bed (though the linens were really nice). I've noticed a lot of people seem to like the bed, but I think I've come to discover if you're someone who has back/neck problems, these beds are probably not for you. Generally a firmer bed is best for support (the whole spinal alignment thing). I kept falling into the center of the bed, and was tossing and turning all night, because my leg or arm would fall asleep or my back/neck would just be in pain. -And this was before we were on the hill. But if you like soft beds and need less support, go for it.

I also wasn't a fan of the older kitchenette area in our room. We brought food up with us, but there was no oven/toaster oven to heat food. It did have a microwave and a two-burner stove, but that didn't really help us in baking our pot pie.

The room was also really dry from the heater. After waking up with a bloody nose or two, we boiled water on the burners to increase the humidity (which worked really well!). Also, the only other two things I wasn't thrilled about was having to ask for new soap/towels on day 3, I kind of felt like they didn't really tidy the rooms (we were there for almost a week). And the last thing is that the walls are kind of thin. You can hear the heaters from the rooms near you, sometime it sounds like the people in the hallway are in your room with you.

Other than that, it was a really nice trip and I'd recommend this hotel in pairing the quality with price we paid.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gjks07
BUBBA SHRIMP CO
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Everything was amazing, great service, food, rooms, and rates!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2009

The hotel was tucked away in the Sunday River Ski area just outside of Bethel Maine. A great location and setting for traveling to the White Mountains of New Hampshire and Maine for fall foliage viewing. The room was clean but could use some updating. It was fine for our purpose. The beds were very comfortable. We had the place to ourselves with a few other guests as this is mainly a ski lodge for the winter crowds. The newer hotel in the Sunday River area is the Jordan. It is tucked away in a ski bowl with a spectacular views but 5 1/2 miles further. Same price for both.
The health club and pool/spa were in very good shape.
The free breakfast (part of our deal) every morning was very good and cooked to order. (Eggs, pancakes, meats, fruits, cereal/hot/cold, good coffee(Starbucks))
The staff was helpful and accommodating.
We enjoyed dinner out at the Sudbury Inn, The Victorian Inn and the Jolly Drayman. I recommend all 3 especially the Sudbury and Victorian for a romantic dinner.
The loop road around Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is spectacular. Also the "Kank" highway. Grafton Notch State Park/Maine just 20 minutes away is also a great view and is part of the loop rd just north of Bethel with Height of Land overlook mid way through the loop. Just spectacular.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marquettedad
challengergrl
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We spent one night for a mountain biking trip with my husband, our 7 and 15 year old sons, and a 14 year old friend in a one bedroom sweet. The queen sized bed in the bedroom was extremely comfortable. There was a murphy bed and a pull out couch in the livingroom where the kids slept and there were no complaints.
It was a little pricey, but we expected that, being a ski resort. Free breakfast buffet was included for two adults and children under 12 eat free it the restaurant. We only had to pay for the two boys, which is a good thing, since the regular price is 15.00, but it was very good.
The absolute best feature was the outdoor pool and hot tub (open year round) It was cold and rainy the night we stayed, but the large pool was very warm as was the sunken jacuzzi. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Maine
Reviewed July 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding. We expected MUCH more for the price. The paint in the room was peeling, the TV was ridiculously small, and the coffee machine still had a used filter in it and obviously hadn't been cleaned in a long time--surprising considering the amount of noise housekeeping makes in the morning.

The bathtub faucet in the minuscule shower was not attached to the wall, which was ok because it gave me something to look at while the abysmal pressure trickled lukewarm water on my head in a futile attempt to wash my hair. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to try to get a refreshing hot shower after a long day of skiing in this place.

The $12+ breakfast buffet was pretty good, but only a tiny bit better than the standard free continental at a typical chain hotel. The other overpriced meals were consistently undercooked.

On the plus side, the pool, although only 41/2 feet deep, was very nice, as was the hot tub. Also the front desk staff was exceptionally pleasant.

Sadly, it seems like the Grand Summit gets away with their rates strictly because of their proximity to the slopes - for a summer stay, its horribly overpriced.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank S_Quicken
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
Top Notch Inn
Top Notch Inn
#1 of 7 in Gorham
Holidae House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Grand Summit Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!