“Wonderful”

Ranked #1 of 4 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Harleysville
“Wonderful”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at Newcastle Inn. We were warmly welcomed by Julie and shown all of the wonderful ammenities of the inn. Our room was so comfortable, well appointed, spotlessly clean. Both mornings we were treated to a delicious breakfast in a lovely bright dining room. We were sad to leave the inn but look forward to a return in the future and would highly recommend Newcastle Inn to anyone!

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor in the back of the inn- very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Barbara H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the inn. I have passed on your compliments to the housekeeper as well.

I hope to see you again when you return to Newcastle, Maine.

Julie Bolthuis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
jntenan@aol.com
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband, golden retriever and I spent 2 nites at the Inn while completing business in town. Julie greeted us with enthusaism and warmth. The room was delightful. Our dog was a welcome addition and the house rules were reasonable and appropiate. We look forward to spending more time here as we complete our business.

Room Tip: back facing rooms have a fantastic view of the Damariscotta River and sunrise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear NYaway,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay at Newcastle Inn. I am happy that you, and your lovely golden retriever, enjoyed your room. That room is currently being renovated and updated and I look forward to showing it to you the next time you are here.

I look forward to seeing you again when you are next in the area on business.

Julie
ocean ridge, fl
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Although we live in Fla in the winter, we got stuck at our Maine home late in 2011 & decided
to try a few B&Bs within an hour's drive of home. This one was clean, inviting, near Damariscotta's good restaurants, the owner takes pride in all, is a good cook, plus loves dogs, for us, a great recipe!

Add to the mix, as we sat at breakfast, looking through the leafless trees out to the water a squirrel flew tree-to-tree scurrying out of the weather, while the most beautiful snowfall ever occurred. Just fantastic! Can't promise a Winter Wonderland every stay, but all else one could hope for will be there for you all year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear palmwarbler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. I am happy to hear that your expectations were met and that you enjoyed your stay here.

While we haven't had any significant snowfall yet, the view looking out to the river is wonderful. Dolce continues to keep an eye on squirrels out back and would love to have you visit and join her the next time you are in the area.

Regards,
Julie Bolthuis, Owner
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stopped here for two nights on our drive up the Maine coast. Perfectly located to visit Boothbay peninsula or Pemaquid Peninsula. The Owl's Head room on third floor was nicely furnished and kept clean. it was Roomy and provided a nice sitting area and a super comfy bed!. My husband and I typically like to sleep with white noise and was pleasantly surprised to see a table top fan in the wardrobe (little things that make it even better).

To keep in mind: We could hear the neighbors talk through the walls but couldn't distinguish the conversation so there was privacy but some noise in the room. First B&B we've ever stayed in so I'm guessing this may be normal. Didn't alter my opinion of the service or property though.

Breakfast was warm, diverse and light but you could always ask for more and Julie was very accommodating to my husbands diet restrictions.

We really enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: If you stay on the third floor, ceiling height is a bit shorter than the first and second floors. I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear ssuzer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent visit to Newcastle Inn.

I'm happy to hear that your first visit to a B&B was here at Newcastle Inn and that you enjoyed your stay in the Owl's Head room which is one of my favorite rooms at the inn, and also a favorite of many guests.

I hope that if you are ever back in MidCoast Maine that you will return to Newcastle Inn. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Regards,
Richmond, VA
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was our third trip to the Damariscotta area. The B&B we stayed at before was closed, but we remembered the stone wall of the Newcastle Inn! The location is perfect with views of the town and river from the back yard and pleasant gardens. It is a great location for numerous day trips. We ventured to Rockland, Monehgan Island, and Pemaquid Point. Don't miss the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden at Boothbay! Julie is a wonderful hostess and very accomodating. On the morning we left early for the island ferry, she provided a bag breakfast for us that preapred us for our day's hike around the island! Numerous amenities make this inn a home-away-from-home. Our room was spacious with a large bath and sitting area. The public spaces are numerous and very comfortable. Our room was on the front, near the road, which can be loud. Other rooms provide a sufficient buffer against any noise. Breakfasts were delicious and plentiful! And Dolce is a perfect inn-dog.

Room Tip: All rooms are nicely furnished. Most have separate sitting areas, all have tvs. To avoid loud road n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear dm3890,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts/comments regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. It is interesting to me that you commented on the stone wall in front because that was the first thing that I noticed about the inn when I pulled up to it for the very first time!

One of the things that I love about this area is what you noticed as well - how centrally located it is for easy day trips to a large number of points of interest - Monhegan Island being a favorite of many guests.

If I had my way I would make River Road only available to the guests who needed to get to Newcastle Inn! Yes, there are cars, but thankfully it isn't like being on 5th Ave. in NYC! One of the amenities that I have available for guests are earplugs and I have recently purchased a "white noise" machine for guests to use if they would like.

Thank you for being my guests at Newcastle Inn and I look forward to seeing you again!

Houston, TX
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Inn views the harbor and is a short walk to town. The owner is most friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good and was available over a period of time. Rooms are quite nice with adequate space. Inn has a number of common rooms available to meet other guests.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear wlgolfer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Newcastle Inn.

The variety of common spaces is a wonderful feature of this property. Plus, during the warmer months guests get to enjoy the additional space of being outside on the deck overlooking the gardens and Damariscotta River!

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast during your stay at the inn. Everything is made from scratch and my goal is that no one leaves the table hungry!

Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We love Maine and have spent many happy times there. We discovered Newcastle Inn a few years ago when attending the Maine Antique Dealer's Show in Union and try to make it to the Inn once a year. We found it delightful, serene, calm and perfectly located for nice walks across the river to good dining venues and cute shops in Damariscotta. My favorite spot on the property is the rear garden with Adirondack chairs overlooking the rive and associated boat traffic. Yummy breakfasts each morning artfully presented in the spotless dining area or on the deck overlooking the garden and river. The rooms are very cozy, clean and quiet. The Inn provides many places to sit with a good book and a drink prepared by the Innkeeper and cookies are offered in the snack area all day. All in all it is a good value and very relaxing. The Innkeeper is very welcoming without being intrusive. We found a bonus in the resident dog, Dolce.. she is indeed very sweet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie L,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn

I agree that the backyard of the inn, with the view of the Damariscotta River, is a great place to sit and relax. You, along with many other guests, enjoy doing just that!

As you discovered, the inn's close location to Damariscotta - just a 1/2 mile walk- makes it very convenient to do a little shopping or grab a bit to eat at one of the restaurants.

Julie Bolthuis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Flagship Inn
#1 of 1 in Wiscasset
Five Gables Inn
Five Gables Inn
#2 of 3 in East Boothbay

Been to Newcastle Inn? Share your experiences!