“Wonderful spot on the river” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Newcastle Inn

Newcastle Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Tucson, Arizona
“Wonderful spot on the river”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I and another couple stayed here for one night after touring New Brunswick. We stayed in "Pumpkin Island" and loved it! It was a very charming room with its own deck! Very comfortable bed, great all around! The breakfast was delicious!! The grounds are beautiful right on the river. The innkeeper was extremely helpful with a dinner reservation in Darmiscotta! She called 3 places to make us a dinner reservation in nearby Darmiscotta which we walked to and really enjoyed! Great place!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear julgoes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the Pumpkin Island room which is very popular during the warmer months because of the private deck.

Many guests, like yourselves, enjoy the short walk to Damariscotta when it is time for dinner. Plus, if you walk then you can have dessert!

Thank you again for being with me as my guests and I hope to see you again sometime!

Regards,
Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Wales, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife Peggy and I love this Inn, so much so that we have spent her birthday there for the last four years and will continue to do so as long as Julie is our hostess. Julie is a gem of a hostess, and Dolce the dog is a friend in waiting for anyone who loves animals (she can also be made very scarce if you don't!). The common areas are spacious and comfortable - the porch includes a puzzle table, views of the river and confortable wicker furniture. Breakfast is scrumptuous - Michael. a new addition for the summer and possibly fall, and hopefully for years to come - cooks up wonders, including eggs benedict and vegetable strata, dishes to enjoy in quiet confort, either on the deck overlooking the river (unless it rains, of course) or in the intimate dining room. Folks who are friendly will find both areas an easy place to start a conversation with other guests, which we did when others seemed willing. To truly enjoy the ambiance of this wonderful Inn, plan to spend more than one night - who can really judge anything based on a one night stand? Rooms we have enjoyed range from intimate to spaciously large, all kept to impeccable standards, airy, and priced reaonabley compared to similar places. However, if your expecting to pay Motel 6 prices, this Inn will not meet your expectations, nor should it. If we could rate it a 10, we would surely would do so!. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, but there is generally little road noise after 9PM. We prefer the fir...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear John M,

One of the great things about the inn is the variety of common spaces that guests can enjoy. During the warmer months, the screen porch is very popular with many guests who enjoy relaxing there with something to read, or to work on the puzzle.

Yes, Michael has been a great addition in the kitchen this year. Guests are enjoying old favorites for breakfast along with some new items that he has been preparing. I think we could serve Eggs Benedict every morning and no one would complain!

Thank you again for your comments.
Cape Cod, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I were not very pleased with our overpriced room at the Newcastle Inn. Julie, the owner, was very nice but the room we chose was not worth the $262 fee/night.
The room smelled very moldly, the floor needed to be refinished and the entrance to the room needed some paint. The cars zooming past the inn all day were very noisy and made leaving the inn very difficult.

Breakfast was served from 8-9 even on Sunday. Most B&B's give guests at least a two hour time limit. All tables in the dining hold 2-4 people limiting conversation between guests. One thing we always enjoy is meeting people from all over the country and this was limited with the table configuration. The food served was just average, not the gourmet food served by the previous owners.
There are many other places to stay in this area for much less money. I would not choose this place again and would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Find another inn, not worth the money.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank roberta12
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear roberta12,

All feedback I receive regarding Newcastle Inn is always welcomed. It is my sincere desire that every guest of the inn enjoys their time here. As you will remember, I gave you a tour of the Inn as well as reviewed all our guidelines to assure you would have a pleasant stay. The one point I always emphasize is that I am available 24 hours a day. If I am not at the inn then my answering service always knows how to reach me. Everyone is made aware that if you have any concerns to contact me. I wish that you had let me know when your stay became less than you expected. I would have been happy to move you to a different room, or work with you in some other way so that you had an enjoyable visit.

The breakfast that is served at Newcastle Inn is a combination of old favorites and with the addition of a chef this summer, some new breakfast items. We have been receiving good response to our new offerings. In the summer, breakfast is served at tables of four, outside on the deck, which offers a beautiful view of the Damariscotta River. We encourage guests to mix with others, but respect those who wish to wake up at their own pace by sitting at a table for two.

Again, I am sorry your experience was not what you had expected but I am most sorry I was not given the opportunity while you were here to make it a more pleasant stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I arrived at the Newcastle Inn on June 30, 2012 for three nights in the middle of a three week driving vacation. We had just spent a week at a less than ideal rented cottage on Mount Desert Island, and we were ready for a clean and comfortable room. Julie Bolthuis, the Innkeeper met us on arrival with a smile and a very warm welcome. She introduced us to her dog, Dolce, and let us choose our degree of engagement with the sweet dog. Julie let us know that most of the Inn was booked on our first night with a wedding party, and she asked them to be quiet after 10 pm and for us to call her if there was any disturbance. Talk about keeping guests informed ahead of time about what might be a problem! We were impressed and felt at once that Julie really cared that our stay be comforable and enjoyable.
While we did hear the wedding guests arrive after their wedding reception, since our room was at the head of one stairway, we were not at all disturbed, and appreciated Julie's advance warning.
The inn is clean, well-maintained, and has plenty of beautiful places to sit, read and relax. The garden was in bloom, but our favorite spot to relax was the screened porch.
Our room had windows facing River Road, but we were never disturbed by cars or trucks. The decor of the room was beautiful, and the space clean and functional. The Kohler plumbing was top of the line and made us feel right at home.
Newcastle is in a perfect location to get around mid-coast Maine. We were able to eat pie at Moody's Diner on Route 1 and seafood at the Anchor Inn on Round Pond. Reds in Wiscasset is a short hop away, along with Sarah's Cafe. We went on a harbor cruise from Boothbay Harbor which is just a few minutes from the inn. Damariscotta is a short walk from the Inn, and we had a great meal at the Damariscotta River Grill.
Breakfasts were different at Newcastle Inn every day, and each one was tasty. Julie seemed to be on site all the time, working hard, engaging with us and other guests, and trying to do everything she could to make our stay as good as it could be. My only regret is that I should have eaten another cookie!
Anyone looking for a cheerful place to stay at a convenient location in mid-coast Maine should consider Newcastle Inn.

Room Tip: There are photos of the rooms online. Call Julie and she will help you pick a room that will meet yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teadrinker60302
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
Dear Teadrinker60302,

Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at the inn (the screen porch is my favorite room) and while visiting the many different sights in this very special part of Maine.

I don't know what cookies were in the cookie jar when you were here, but I share all of my recipes, so let me know if you would like that one so you can enjoy them at home!

Thank you again!
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I just enjoyed 3 nights at The Newcastle Inn. Julie the Innkeeper was everything I expected after chatting with her on the telephone prior to our visit, Julie was so accommodating and she knew how picky I was about the room etc., and let me choose a room when we arrived as she wasn't fully booked. The Inn was warm and inviting and Jacques and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was ideal for the touring around we wanted to do and Julie helped immensely in directing us to places of interest, places to dine etc. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and with a nice bathroom. The breakfast was tasty and appetizing and did not overface us. We are not big breakfast eaters. We felt very much at home at the Inn, especially as Julie's dog Dolce, became quite a friend. We will return, sooner rather than later.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank louitexas
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear louitexas,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the room. It is the most popular guest room at the inn.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the inn at some point in the future.

Thank you again!
Julie
Cranbury, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

We have been coming to this area for many years, but this was our first stay at the Newcastle Inn. We were delighted with our stay, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The room was spotlessly clean, very comfortable, and attractively furnished. For a late evening snack there was a selection of excellent teas (also coffee, but we are not coffee drinkers) and homemade cookies. The breakfast was outstanding -- fresh strawberries with a drop of yogurt, scrambled eggs made with fresh herbs, chicken sausage, and the most deliciously light, homemade blueberry muffins. It was a lovely day, so breakfast was served on the deck overlooking the peaceful Damariscotta River. What a wonderful way to start a vacation day!

Room Tip: We were on the groud floor and our room did not have a view. I expect there are other rooms that lo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mamabetz
, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear mamabetz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of your recent stay at Newcastle Inn.

I'm glad that it was a beautiful morning when you were here so that you could enjoy breakfast outside on the deck overlooking the gardens and the Damariscotta River. I agree, it is a great way to start the day. The blueberry muffin recipe is a definite keeper and I'm happy to share the recipe.

Yes, there are rooms that are at the back of the inn that overlook the gardens and the river in the distance. Next visit you will have to try one of those!

Thank you again for your thoughts.
Belgrade, Serbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Inn is beautifully decorated with a lovely atmosphere!! The rooms are beautiful!! Breakfast is excellent, if you get a chance to try the French toast, you wont regret the stay!!! If you catch a sunny day, just sit in the back yard!! The only thing that tops everything else is the Innkeeper Julie! She is just gorgeous, together with her beautiful dog Dolce!!!
Julie thank you for these great days!
Hope to come back soon!
Kristina

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kristinavajs
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Kristina,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Newcastle Inn. The French Toast is a very popular breakfast here at the inn. If you would like the recipe let me know.

Dolce is missing her playmate, so come back and visit soon.

Regards,
Julie Bolthuis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Flagship Inn
Sheepscot Harbour Village Resort & Spa
Wiscasset Woods Lodge
Wiscasset Woods Lodge
#1 of 1 in Wiscasset

Been to Newcastle Inn? Share your experiences!