“Great location, delightful room”
Review of Hotel Pemaquid

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Harbor
Hotel Pemaquid
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in New Harbor
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We were on a last-minute getaway and were pleasantly surprised to get a room here on short notice; this is the exception not the rule as there are many folks who book ahead year after year. We chose this location for its proximity to Pemaquid Light and the cool Atlantic breezes (no A/C here), and were not disappointed! While waiting to be checked in we explored the nostalgic lobby and enjoyed Dave Brubeck's "Strange Meadowlark" playing in the background!

There was generous lawn space for a play area and an outbuilding with ice & vending machines. Our room was the "Chauffeur's Quarters" located on the first floor of the main inn with a private pink candy-stripe-wallpapered bath, a sitting area with TV, and its own sunporch. The inn's wi-fi and our cell phones worked ok, just about. A row of large windows provided plenty of fresh air; a couple of fans are kept in the closet if needed. I'm always apprehensive about the beds in a place we haven't tried before, but needn't have worried about this one--it was very comfortable for both of us. It was so pleasant just to sit and take in the beauty of this place. A most cheerful room!

When we returned from an evening outing around 9:30pm, the parking lot was full and we had to improvise a space. By keeping the lights off entering the room we were able to avoid the mosquito plague for which coastal Maine is notorious. Insect repellant is strongly recommended for this area from dusk onward. The tiny color TV worked fine and all that mattered is they carried the Red Sox channel! All too soon we fell asleep in the big bed. Light sleepers are warned to bring ear plugs (I never travel without them) as you can hear everything--and I do mean EVERYTHING--from the driveway, the nearby cottage and the upstairs. That was the one drawback. Everything else was simply delightful.

Within a very short walk are the Sea Gull Shop (great lobster stew, says my spouse) and of course Pemaquid Light and the scenic Pemaquid Loop walking route. Hotel Pemaquid does not accept credit cards--only cash & checks. No frills, bells & whistles--just a good old-fashioned Maine inn to which we would be happy to return. Hopefully, for a longer stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sandybFlorida

Reviewed May 24, 2011

I live for the month of August for that is when I know I am going to let the worries of the world disappear and I am going to spend 4 or 5 nights at the Hotel Pemaquid. I have been going there for at least 15 years and there is no place on earth I would ever want to be. Skip, the owner, could not be more accomodating and the same goes for Sharrie and Gordon. It's the perfect place to decompress from the troubles of life. My room is always clean and well taken care of. August is fast approaching and I can't wait.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pemaquid027
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Spent one night at the grand old Hotel Pemaquid. This is a lovely place to spend more than one night if you have the time. The lighthouse is right there on location for short walks for sunset and sunrise photos. I would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sioux48
Reviewed October 24, 2010

All the good stuff first- LOCATION-within walking distance the ocean and the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse ! The setting is magical and I love it that's a Historical Property ! The main house is filled with comfy chairs, old wood, music and memories ! BUT.. if you expect a big bathroom with fluffy towels.. this is not it.. The price is very fair here and for a few dollars more it would be nice to see them upgrade the towels and bedding-
The bathroom in the burnside units is tiny- stall shower,sink and toilet all in what might have been a closet- The furnishings are a bit worn. But it was very quiet at night and it was so wonderful to stay at a property that has been open since 1888!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Stayed for one night on our way up the coast. The room was adequate. We had no problem at all with cleanliness or bad smells (and I'm picky about that type of thing) My only (minor) quibble was the bathroom- threadbare old towels, lack of amenities, poor water pressure in shower. We loved being so near the lighthouse, and enjoyed an amazing breakfast at the nearby Seagull Cafe (have the blueberry pancakes!)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed at the Pemaquid Hotel during a trip along the Maine coastline.

+ beautiful hotel located at the end of a peninsula
+ very quiet
+ the famous Pemaquid lighthouse is next door
+ the interior of the hotel has not really changed since the 30s
+ the restaurant next door with view of the ocean serves delicious food
+ friendly staff

- rooms are a little bit small
- some rooms have shared bathrooms
- our room was a little bit smelly

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kolldan
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My first novel "The Memory Barrel" takes you on a journey of love, life and believing in dreams coming true. I have stayed at Hotel Pemaquid many times throughout the years. You walk back in time as you step into the sitting area, or nestle on the front porch in the rocking chairs. You find that good place inside you as you listen to the sound of the waves just moments away. This is a place of solitude and reflection for those looking for time away from the hustle and busy life. My choice to include this in my novel was not difficult. Come see for yourself..there is magic there.. or read it in The Memory Barrel by DBLorgan. Blessings to you all.. Diane

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
#1 of 3 in Southport
Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
Spruce Point Inn Resort and Spa
#1 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Hotel Pemaquid? Share your experiences!