“A Great Location”
Review of Gosnold Arms Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Harbor
Gosnold Arms Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Harbor B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“A Great Location”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

In full disclosure, I have a special place in my heart for the Gosnold Arms - I went there throughout my childhood and now frequent it with my husband. The inn is located on a fairly quiet road along a lovely cove (one of the locations that "Message in a Bottle" was filmed). The location is, by far, the inn greatest selling point. The rooms in the inn are average motel rooms - nothing fancy but very adequate and clean. The rooms that start with 1 are actually on the second floor and can be loud as people going to the third floor (room numbers startign with 2) pass by on their ways up. The cottages are fun to stay in - particularly the ones right on the water. The inn has a dock with some tables great for having a drink (BYO) or playing cards. Also located on the cove is a great clam shack, Shaw's, which is a favorite of mine. The staff are friendly but unobtrusive. The breakfast is not going to knock your socks off but is fine for a quick bowl of cereal or pancakes. My one complaint about this inn is the beds. They are small (usually doubles) and of poor quality. If you are looking for luxurious accomodations, than this isn't the place for you. If you are looking for basic accomodations with a great locations, than this is your place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TeamKitty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was our 2nd time here, and was going to give it a very good, until I read some of the other reviews and it motivated me to up it to "Excellent". Really, I am actually really surprised by the negative reviews. Both times we've been, we've had a really nice visit. The rooms have been very clean and neat, the staff was friendly and helpful. Yes the TVs are small and dated but we weren't there to watch TV, I love to read on vacation, so it didn't really bother me (but I also grew up with parents who looked for hotels without TVs in the rooms when we were young!) We took the Hardy Boat to the island one day and you have to be there early, its basically across the street, so the location is perfect for that.
The view are beautiful, and the sea breezes at night with a little touch of pine are just what we love. I like it rustic and the pine walls is Maine, and other places I have stayed in Maine (a couple of cottage rentals) have very similar decor.
I actually can't speak about the breakfast, we didn't go, instead we headed to the Cupboard each a.m., its fabulous- a must go for breakfast. But again, I generally don't eat hotel breakfast (one exception was in Copenhagen, the breakfast was amazing, homemade fresh breads, cheeses, delicious yogurts) But included breakfasts- they are usually simple and not what I want to eat- so I can't vouch for that.
All in all, we like it there, and would go again. Its probably not for everyone, no flat screens, no marble bath, but if that's not what your expecting, and know you'll get simple, traditional Maine, its great. As I said I initially came to do very good- because honestly not many should get Excellent, but we really liked it and want that to come thru on the rating,

Room Tip: Ask for harbor views
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank malamy
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a friend's wedding. Unfortunately, our flight was cancelled due to summer weather and we were unable to make it on Friday night. The hotel would not give us any break on the $160 we spent on a room that night, which was a bummer, but perhaps understandable.

When we arrived, though, I was glad we only had to spend one night in the place. $160 PER NIGHT for a small room with no working wireless, old musty furniture, no TV, no water pressure, and no A/C (it was 85 degrees in our room all night) is highway robbery. These guys are giving Maine a bad name with this kind of pricing and this poor level of accommodation.

The interior is run down, and not in a "charming" old-fashioned kind of way. I wanted to spend as little time in the Inn as possible. If you want other options nearby, other weddings guests were at the Bradley Inn down the street and the Brannon Bunker a bit farther north.

It's worth your time to find another option. Also, I've attached a photo of the huge spider in the shower that greeted us.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 81821
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The Gosnold Arms served the purpose of being near the Hardy Boat to Monhegan Island. The staff was friendly and they allow you to leave your car in their lot during your day trip to the Island.
The Inn was built in 1932 and was never intended to be a luxury hotel. The bathrooms were clean and the windows had good screens so they could stay open at night. The mattresses were about the same as sleeping on the floor except that the floor would not have swayed and bounced when you moved.
The breakfast and coffee were pretty marginal with nothing really fresh.
With a little effort and some hospitality know-how it could be a nice place. I would recommend changing the mattresses first. Then hire someone who could cook a nice breakfast for the guests. Fresh juice or at Tropicana quality would be welcome. Good coffee and decent cereal or granola would be helpful.
It would make a huge difference. I hope they will give it a try. They seem like such nice people.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pd_dirlam
Cumberland Valley
Reviewed November 3, 2009

For $140 a night you get a tiny, rustic room, no TV, no phone, no clock, no tissues and an internet connection that you had to climb back down the 3 long flights of stairs to connect to, and one awful breakfast. We had to climb 3 long flights of steps with our luggage to the room which had a nice view of the harbor. To put the cherry on top of this disaster, I forgot my low back pillow and called some family members to retrieve it. " It's not here" they said. " Will you please check again? " they asked. " Sorry, it's not here..."
Trust me, unless you're desperate and have money to waste you will want to avoid this excuse for a Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Assembler2816
wisconsin
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Stayed in the cottages up on the hill. Smelled VERY MUSTY even after leaving the door open for hours. Bath towels are old, worn and something I'd use to dry the car off with. Is handy to Shaw's lobster house, and the library in the main house was a nice place to sit and visit. They have a coffee pot, fridge etc. (sort of hostel like) in the main house which is nice. Didn't stay for breakfast - 1 hour time slot just isn't very accomodating. The TV in the cottages is a joke ... 9 inch ?? or less, at the foot of the bed ... it just made us laugh. Next time would stay somewhere else ... If this was a $50 a night room it could have been tolerated - but not for $100 plus that we paid.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We recently visited Gosnald Arms on July 13th, 2009. After researching on internet and viewing Trip Advisor.com.. This Inn was chosen due to the proximity to the Hardy Boat Cruises that take visitors to the Puffin nesting site.
We reserved their ‘exclusive’ Room 102, overlooking the harbor at $145 for one night. Our first impression from the outside was good, however upon walking into our room we noticed a distinct odor, that I would characterized as stale, old and unclean. All furnishings were old and the wicker chairs were obviously stained, cushions old and faded, bedspread was faded and looked as though purchased at a second hand store.
We were also annoyed with the many posted signs throughout the room telling guests how to flush the toilet, take a shower, open the window blinds and the envelope on the dresser to tip the maid! We were also told in a brochure to tip the girl in the breakfast dining room (it was a buffet style breakfast)
The mattress was uncomfortable as well. The lounge room had the same ‘old ‘ smell to it, very dark and ‘dingy’, although well stocked with magazines and 2 TV’s.
We met another guest, who like us, was using the Hardy Boat the following morning. She was displeased as well with her room and the price.

We definitely feel this Inn does not live up to its claims and feel it is a tourist trap since the area does not have many choices for accommodations.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor
Newcastle Inn
Newcastle Inn
#1 of 4 in Newcastle

Been to Gosnold Arms Inn? Share your experiences!