“Service? What Service?”

Village Side Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in the building that formerly housed Sydney's Restaurant. The Village Side Restaurant and Pub opened on July 4th of 2012. The Village Side Restaurant features fresh Maine seafood and certified beef. Daily specials are available. The Village Side is family friendly and features a kid menu for diners under 12 years old.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I reviewed this restaurant in May 2013. I thought I would try the bar. I sit at the bar, the bartender sees me sit down. She disappears for 5 minutes. She comes back and starts cleaning the bar. I waited a total of 10 minutes and was never asked for my order. I then leave. This place is not run by anyone who is a restaurant professional. Poor food, inconsistent service....move on to the next restaurant.

1  Thank SigEpGov

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We arrived here at 7. It was a party of 10, so we expected service to be slow. However, it took them 30 minutes alone to take our order. Our meals didnt come out until an hour and a half later. I know things are slower in Maine but by the time we got our food everyone was full or irritable. Do not come here unless you want terrible service

2  Thank Kjn08
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The dining area is closed off from the bar and is dark and dingy. The décor is trying to be rustic but is more trailer trash. Not enough lighting in the parking lot. The nachos were cold and the cheese had congealed. The drink I ordered has an alcohol with a very distinct taste, not sure if they water it down or replaced it with a cheaper whiskey but it certainly was not what I ordered, thought maybe the bartender made a mistake so I asked for another. Alas, it was just as bad as the first. The food was not even worth talking about. Canned, frozen, nothing fresh. My family will not eat here again.

2  Thank Bella R
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We had dinner here on a Saturday. It was busy, always a good sign. They had a large party that they put right up front by the entrance and, well, good for them, the group was having a blast, but for me and my wife, it was a little distracting. They were loud and do what big parties do...laugh and make noise. Would have been better if they had been away from the main dining areas. I had a cup of clam chowder...now remember, this is Maine. Clam chowder is to Maine, like grits is to Georgia. The chowder was watery with an overwhelming taste of butter. I suggest you pass on this offering. I had stuffed haddock with rice and green beans. The stuffed haddock was average, Not great not bad. The green beans were limp, so either they where frozen or had been boiled all day. The rice pilaf had an after taste that tells me it sat somewhere and absorbed something not intended. The wine offerings are the lowest you can find. Just imagine that Barefoot wine is the house wine, you can't get more low quality than that. The rest of the wine is just a few rungs above this. The service if friendly and they try hard. Timing lacks a bit. It took 10 minutes for our chowder and salad to arrive. Then the bread arrived. The bread should have been there first I believe one of the reviews raved about the freshly baked bread. The bread was fine, but it wasn't freshly baked. It was pulled from a wrapper and placed in a warmer. At least that's what it looked like. The décor is dated, but I can live with that. A little more focus on the food is required. I would pass for now and pick another place.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Wanted to update my previous review since we frequent Village Side more often in recent weeks. I'm not sure if it would be fair to say they worked out all the kinks of opening last year, simply because, we loved it from the start. However; I can say with confidence that our expectations are exceeded with each visit. The staff is super accommodating and consistently friendly. The food is dependably delicious and always leaves us wanting more. The owners don't cheat the customer in any respect at this place. They prepare dishes with quality ingredients they are obviously proud to serve their guests. Nothing sub par about the quality of food you will enjoy and the service you will experience. (Look for the turkey dinner special, you will be so glad you did! Better than you will find anywhere outside of your own kitchen) *or if you're like me...better than I find in mine.