“Favorite Lobster Pound in Maine:)”

Abel's Lobster Pound
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Mount Desert
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
New York City, New York
“Favorite Lobster Pound in Maine:)”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We adore this spot, actually went back two days in a row for lunch! The view of north east harbor is spectacular along with the food and wine list. If we lived here we would dine here at least 3/4 times a week. The lobster, chowders, steamers and everything else is fabulous.

Visited August 2012

Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
“Nice but overpriced”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were traveling in Maine for 1 week and Abel's was recommended to us to have the best lobster around. Lobster prices are at an all time low, yet Abels charged $31 for a 1.5 lobster. We had just paid $22 for two 1.25 lbs with lovely water views the night before in Boothbay. Rockport MA paid $18 for 1.25lbs. The inside of Abel's is nice, but it is hard to enjoy when you know it is not market price. My lobster was dry, tasted overcooked in places and was served cut down the middle. Others may like it served this way, but possibly that is what made it dry (all the water runs out). I like my lobster with a nice seawater taste, but we did not get that at Abel's. On a more positive note, they served a nice, large glass of wine! .

Visited July 2012
2 Thank GinnyCH
Atlanta
“High Quality With Great Service”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Not your normal lobster pound where you get served on paper and rough it up to eat your lobster and steamed clams. The service in the dining room was excellent.The lobsters were split and claws cracked a bit to make it easy to eat the lobster.Very good clam chowder.Excellent bread pudding for desert. Not cheap, but worth every penny.A must if you are in the Southwest/Bar Harbor area.

• Visited July 2012
Casco, Maine
“A Delicious Atmosphere!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

When you make a reservation, you make a reservation for the outdoors. As much as I love Abel's, if there wasn't outdoor seating I would book another night or simply not go. You are going for the atmosphere and views! The food is good. Although there are a few options..it's mostly about the lobster. The stew screams simplicity, but it was so good. It reminded me of my mother's lobster stew. (born and raised in Maine so I've practically had lobster since bottle days) Authentic taste of Maine. The lobster Alfredo...WOW! I wanted to plow through my bowl it was so good, but knew I needed to use my manners. ;). The only thing we didn't like was when they cut our lobster for us so it was easier to get in to it. We're from Maine and know how to work through the lobster! But we could see where some people would really like this convenience. Their steamers are still some of the best I ever had! The service was outstanding!!!! Our waitress really helped personalize our experience! Bring your camera to capture the memory, but bring your wallet because it's going to be a pricey picture!

New York City, New York
“Best place for lobster on Mount Desert Island”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

After a night at Thurston we were delighted to pay a little more for a much better experience. Both the dining room and the outdoor areas are very pleasant and the staff is great. Lobsters were perfect. Steamers were plump and sweet and very clean. Hard to complain about "high prices" since by the standards of any big city lobster place Abel's is a great bargain, and you won't find better lobster anywhere. And save room for the blueberry pie!

• Visited July 2012