“Excellent Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Mount Desert Campground
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Hands down, the nicest campground I have ever stayed at. Bathrooms were very clean. All sites are nicely wooded. Many with platforms and water views. Excellent location for kayaking and all the activites Bar Harbor has to offer. Kids spent hours and hours crabbing. Nice family campground. They do enforce quiet time at 10 PM. A great stay!

7  Thank santosboston

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We just returned from our 6th visit to Mount Desert Campground. Obviously, we love the place. It's THE cleanest, friendliest, and best-run campground we've ever been to. Gorgeous location, quiet, family-friendly... we've never had anything less than a stellar experience. Love the kayaking and nightly ice-cream options. The owners are great and take a lot of pride in running a first-class operation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Susan B
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just back from another great week on MDI enjoying Acadia National Park and the towns on MDI. We've been returning to the same site at this quiet, family oriented campground for about 10 years now. Most of the sites are very private, many have picture-perfect locations directly on Somes Sound, everything is well kept and the staff are ever friendly and helpful. You can rent kayaks and canoes and swim from floating docks in a protected part of the sound. A different island bakery delivers fresh pastry for sale each morning to go with the coffee, hot cocoa and juices available at the "Gathering Place". If it weren't for the fact that Acadia N.P. is minutes away, you'd probably be happy never leaving the campground. When you do head out, you'll find that you're in a very central location that makes it equally easy to get to all parts of the island.

Room Tip: Reserve early (6 months ahead for July/August). Check back from time to time to see if a cancellatio...
Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank H2OToGo
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is an amazing campground. There was always toilet paper, hot showers, and cleanliness. The sites are well kept and for the most part each site is fairly private. My husband and I drove through Blackwoods Campground and we commented on lucky we were to be staying at MDI and that the sites had offered more privacy and wilderness settings. We found the staff to be compassionate as our tent had several large wholes eaten through it by red squirrels. There was nothing they could do but they felt for us and offered solutions. The woman in the morning at the Gathering Place is such a lovely upbeat charming lady that she starts your day off right. Wifi/cell phone coverage can be had at the Gathering Place but no different than any mountain situation, cell phone coverage is sporadic. Water sites are spectacular and the woods sites are so well laid out you feel like it is wilderness camping however with electric and water. Would like to be welcomed/recognized for my repeat patronage upon arrival or departure but not sure if that is just the Maine persona. The restaurant recommendation was right on target when we described what we were looking for at the moment. I thank them for that!. I also love the location because it is in the middle of Mount Desert Island and you can get to either side of the island easily. Truly Mount Desert Island Campground is a gem of a campground and we look forward to next year.

Room Tip: love the A & B sections but C is nice too.
3  Thank Rebecca N
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I am a little sorry to enter the fray on this as I don't want to ignite a battle that will invite more negative reviews, but please take them with a grain of salt. We have been camping there for two weeks at a time over twenty years and also have the context of being experienced campers at many other campgrounds. This campground has hands-down the cleanest, best-designed and well-maintained bathrooms that we have ever encountered in a campground. You can hear a pin drop after 10:00. Perhaps the best data on this is that people come for the first time, and then return year after year. A very clean-cut, family atmosphere - most sightings of any teenagers are likely to be some polite boys tossing a frisbee back and forth in front of the bathroom or cute fourteen year-olds clustered around the mirror in the bathroom! (sorry about the stereotypes)

Natural setting is just beautiful, location is great, office could not be more responsive. This is an extremely high quality place with a long tradition of attentive support for all of us campers, careful stewardship of the beautiful setting, and attentive enforcement of modest, reasonable campground rules. My advice to the Craigheads is to skip right by some of these puzzling entries as you have created a large community who values what you do.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Janet Y
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We have been going to MDI Campground for about 20 years now, and each time we are impressed with everything about this place. In fact, every year, we meet other families who have camped here for 10, 20, even 30+ years with kids now grown and empty nesters returning. The Craigheads have always been ingratiating and cordial, helpful in the planning of the trip and wonderful upon arrival. I am stunned to read anything but compliments for how they manage their campground and how they meet and greet guests. The sites have always been perfectly clean, the bathrooms are immaculate...every time for 20 years. Some sites are close together, but their map on the website is accurate, and other sites, are, quite frankly, some of the most stunning and beautiful and scenic in all of New England (check out some of those in A loop!). Just ask when you set up a reservation, explain your interests and desires, and the Craigheads will help. Traffic noise? Yes, in a few areas, but again, just ask, mention the concern from the start, and you will be directed to ones far from the noise of the road. Noise in the campground...not in our experience. During the day, it is really quiet (and kids LOVE crabbing (catch and release) at the docks...worry not about the crabs, they are probably the best fed animals in all of Maine), and yes, in the early evening families and friends are enjoying campfires, as expected, but it's a family place and everything shuts down at an appropriate hour. From the campground (in fact, from many campsites) you can go kayaking, canoeing, swimming, and more, and it is just 5-10 minutes from the Eagle Lake Carriage road parking area and from the Cadillac Mountain Acadia Park entrance. 12 minutes brings you to downtown Bar Harbor, and 7 minutes the other way takes you to quieter Northeast Harbor. Perfectly located, wonderfully managed, and beautifully maintained, our family considers MDI Campground one of the ongoing highlights of our many travels, and we will continue to return and hoe, in the near future, to introduce grandchildren to this delightful place.

6  Thank Paul W
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for your kind review! Please see our response to "Jerry B" on 6/26/12 in reference to the (now deleted) negative comments.

Owen Craighead
Co-owner, Mount Desert Campground

Reviewed July 5, 2012

For 22 of the last 25 years, including every year since 1991, Mount Desert Campground has been the place I go to re-imprint the smile on my face and recharge for another year. I have also enjoyed stays at Seawall, Blackwoods and White Birch within Acadia, but it is no insult to say that they just don't stand up to the beauty of a waterfront MDC site. If you're looking for the most beautiful and well-maintained campground on the island, this is it.

The review by Jerry B does a good job of outlining the positives of the campground, so I'd like to second his description while emphasizing some points in relation to the complaints I'm shocked to read in other reviews. The bathrooms are immaculate... better maintained than in any other campground I've ever stayed in (and there have been many). In 20+ years of camping at MDC, I don't recall ever encountering a lack of bathroom supplies, nor having a single unpleasant interaction with the staff. Quite the contrary, they've clued me into some great around-town events as well as some of my now-favorite kayaking routes (kayaks are available, by the way). As for noise issues, I see that all but one complaint was registered within a four-day period, so perhaps they were victims of one rare and raucous grouping? Apart from the occasional small child crying at night, I hardly ever recall being bothered by noise past the official campground-set quiet time of 10:00 pm. Staff live in every section throughout the summer. Lastly, as for cell phone coverage... no, it's not ideal, but (a) we are camping; (b) coverage is spotty across the island; and (c) I'm hesitant to blame the campground for spotty cell reception in or around a national park. MDC does provide free wireless internet for all guests at the Gathering Place, along with daily breakfast specials and some pretty fantastic ice cream flavors at night (try the moose tracks!). If it's raining particularly hard, they'll sometimes even open it up for use as a favor to guests outside of the typical posted hours.

It's the rare vacation spot that can attract the same customers back for years, let alone decades. Yet as I was proudly hitting my 20th year at MDC, it came to my attention that some of my neighbors had been returning for as many as 25, 35 and (in one instance) 48 years! Families don't make this kind of trek over and over by accident. Mount Desert Campground is a truly special place, and my only concern is that it still be here for the next generation.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Northeast Harbor
Colonel's Suites
Colonel's Suites
#1 of 3 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Mount Desert Campground? Share your experiences!