“Island Getaway”
Review of The Island Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monhegan Island
The Island Inn
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Beautifully situated on Monhegan Island, just steps up from the ferry dock.
Nice porch for sittin' and rockin' and just looking at the sea and adjacent Mananas Island.
Small room, 3rd floor corner, rm. 37, with meadow view and sea view out the side window.
It's all you need when there's a beautiful island to hike and explore.
Dinner was good, mushroom/goat cheese tart to start, maple glazed scallops as an entree, service very good!
Breakfast was wonderful, great choices to be had.
For a summer getaway, it was a good choice. Very friendly/helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 14, 2007

I wasn't sure what to expect, having read mixed reviews on this website, but I was more than pleasantly surprised. The inn was warm and inviting. Much care and attention was paid to the decor. Furnishings were attractive, with many antiques gracing the common rooms.
Our room was spare, but clean and cozy with unique and homey furnishings. I loved the wool rug with an oak leaf and acorn design. (No synthetic wall-to-wall carpeting here.) The inn is full of original paintings by Monhegan artists, including a beautiful painting in our room. There are no air conditioners because of the limited resources on the island, but the sea breezes made for comfortable sleeping. The entire inn was clean and freshly painted with calm, pastel colors. Hand-stenciled fish borders in the bathroom were a nice touch.
Our room had a meadow view. We opted not to spend the extra money for an ocean view room since we could sit out on the inn's front porch in one of the many rocking chairs and enjoy the serene and calming views to our heart's content. We watched two incredible sunsets from the porch.
The dining room is light, airy and attractive -- like the rest of the inn. The dining room walls were covered with more original artwork. The dinner we enjoyed there was very good, and the breakfast was excellent! The lobster casserole (breakfast is included) was unforgettable.
All in all, I found the Island Inn to be a great bargain, casually elegant and welcoming. The staff were all helpful and friendly. I definitely plan to return.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mainefiddler
Reviewed December 31, 2006

No tv, no phones in room. That was the point. Very comfortable, lovely place to spend with someone special. Spectacular getaway.
Staff was wonderful. Staff will transport your luggage from the ferry to your room. Energy availability on the island is limited, so there are no AC units in room, however, the breeze from the ocean was lovely and the room was quite comfortable.
This is an old inn, and some rooms do not have their own bath, so if you wish to have your own, make sure you ask.
This inn fills up quickly, so book in advance.

• Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank rrruby
Reviewed September 8, 2006

Do not assume that there is any correlation between the rate quoted and the specific room bearing that rate on the Inn website. Be precise as to what room you are getting and the rate at which you are getting it.

Room 15 is above the Inn entrance & exit, as well as next to the road leading to and from the wharf. To avoid noise associated with both foot and vehicular traffic, try for a room at the opposite end of the building.

Neither the rooms, nor the common areas (hallways, dining room) have so much as a ceiling fan. When we visited it was very warm and sunny, and, at sunset, the fog rolled in eliminating the possibility of radiational cooling and at the same time the sea breeze died. The result was an uncomfortably warm room temperature for sleeping.

The dining room is brightly lit. The (open) dining room windows had no screens. Should you be there under similar circumstances, be prepared to use your napkin as a fly (mosquito) swatter.

• Stayed: August 2006
9  Thank Undaunted-traveler
Reviewed August 23, 2006

My husband and I spent two nights at The Island Inn. It was clean and had an excellent breakfast. It had blueberry pancakes and lobster casserole! We didn't tire of sitting on their porch or lawn and staring at the view. I opted for a meadow view and was rewarded with a night thunderstorm and the sight of the lighthouse and it's light during that storm. I think if you liked camping and now want to stay indoors this hotel hits the spot. We found the staff capable and friendly. Dinner might seem a little high but the food was delicious. The room might be small but was fine. The island is charming complete with easy enough hikes, spectacular views and artists' studios that you can enter.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wen47
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My husband and I visited Monhegan Island on Aug. 14th. We took the boat out of Port Clyde to the island. I will review the Island Inn, the island and the boat ride.

Upon arrival at the island, I was surprised by the influx of folks just coming to see us in. All hands are on deck to welcome the passengers as well as the cargo. The Island Inn was awaiting our arrival to shuttle our luggage up the small hill to the Inn. We were also welcomed at the Inn with a friendly greeting. They have a place to store luggage if the room is not ready. They also have a fridge for anything you may need to chill while staying there.

We stayed in a room with an ocean view on the 3rd floor. The accomodations are comfortable, yet spartan. You will have all that you need, but not much more. The common areas were a bit more lavish. There is a large front porch adorned with rocking chairs overlooking the ocean. There are also many adirondack chairs on the front lawn, also overlooking the small Monhegan Harbor. It is lovely to sit and watch and read. It can, however, get a bit chilly, so do plan to bring a jacket due to the ocean breezes.

We ate dinner at the Island Inn as well. The food was quite good. A bit pricy, but fit the bill after a day filled with travel and hiking.

As for the island. It is filled with interesting things that are not common to Midwesterners. First of all, all rubbish must be taken off the island. So, it seems that if something is old and rusted, it stays on the island unless it can be reduced to hefty bag size and taken off the island. There are miles of small trails (bring bug spray to avoid some mosquitoes). We took trail 7 which lead us to an overlook which was gorgeous. The hiking was quite easy as we took a popular trail. I'd have to say to ask questions prior to hiking as the map and trails are only fairly marked. Our intention was to take a less travelled trail; however, we couldn't figure it out. On our hike, we stopped at the Hot Fat Fish n Chips stand. Susan, from the island, suggested the fish taco. This was top notch. It was fresh and filled with interesting and tasty ingredients. I'd highly recommend that.

The island also has many artists who are trying to sell their art. We found it neat to look at; however, the prices were as high as Downtown Chicago.....basically, prohibitive. I'd have liked to see more art in the 100-200.00 range and I would have brought home more souvenirs! Most art was $500.00 and up.

The boat ride was my biggest fear as I get seasick. We could have caught a boat out of Boothbay, but opted to drive further to Port Clyde in order to take a shorter ride. They filled the boat to the rim with passengers and several dogs. I sat on the top deck so I could keep my eye on the horizon. I didn't get seasick at all. We saw one whale and one bald eagle. It was quite nice.

Well the return was not quite as nice. The winds had picked up during the night of our stay on Monhegan and it rained most of the night. The locals said it was not so bad compared to other rainy days. The boat company said the waves were 3-5 feet. Well, when I first got on the boat and it was tied to the dock, the boat was moving A LOT. I could have gotten seasick fairly quickly except the captain was wise enough to start moving. As we started for shore it was rocky but not bad. A couple miles out, we hit 6-8 foot waves. Oh boy, this was too much for me. I think many passengers were filling the motion and nervous. This all lasted for a short while. Needless to say, I was thrilled to be off the boat in Port Clyde.

Monhegan Island and the Island Inn were an adventure for me. I would go every summer is I could avoid the boat ride over.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank stacybbb
Reviewed July 18, 2006

As most people have noted, the property is simple and very nice in the sense that it sits directly on the water. Rooms are small, but I had researched this and knew it prior to our arrival. What was an extreme disappointment was the overall quality of the food and waiter service.

The resteraunts food was just "ok", (not as fresh as I would have expected) and other choices were fine if this were priced as a 2-3 star . The prices are up there with 9 of us paying $250.00 for lunch. The breakfast was buffet style and the Inn added $4 per day per person for housekeeping and waiter tips, since breakfast was included in the room price. I think this policy compensates employees that may not earn a tip. Our waiter at breakfast was slow, rude and acted like he didn't like his job much. Tiping in my opinion is EARNED, and not a given. My advise would be to stay at the Island Inn, and eat at the other fine but simple places on the island.

The Scruffy Dog has a great but simple menu for dinner, with excellent steamed lobster. Another great little place to have lunch is at the Novelty with what we thought was outstanding pizza and ice cream cones.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank gmarshal

Been to The Island Inn? Share your experiences!