“Comfortable Inn on a Beautiful Island”
Review of The Monhegan House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monhegan Island
The Monhegan House
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I just returned from spending nearly a week at the comfortable Monhegan House with a Road Scholar group. After arriving by ferry from the mainland our luggage was taken to the inn in one of the many pick up trucks. There are no cars on the island but trucks and golf carts have the right of way on the narrow dirt roads. Although not large, my room with a double bed was spacious compared to many European hotels. The bed was comfortable, and the soft white duvet was cozy at night when I had the window open. Although the bathrooms (toilet and sink) and showers (each in a separate small room) were down the hall, I never had a wait. The owner and staff at the hotel were cordial and took care of all of our needs. We ate as a group in the light filled dining room for most meals, and once out on the terrace in front of The Novelty, the small store behind the inn which serves pizza, ice cream, sandwiches, and salads. All of our meals were delicious. Breakfasts and dinners are available to the public as well as guests. Our Road Scholar group was staying at the Monhegan House while taking drawing lessons ("Learning how to see"). We were able to use the wide outside lawn area, the dining room and a small room off the lobby/library area for our meetings and classes. One afternoon when the fog kept us from taking a planned boat trip around the island, we were treated to fiddle music in the lounge arranged by our group leader. Our friendly Road Scholar group also had impromptu happy hours on the Inn's wrap around porch and in the lobby. Wine, beer and munchies are available at The Novelty and a couple of other small stores nearby. The Monhegan House is near galleries, artist studios, walking trails, and beauty everywhere you turn. I hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: The bathrooms and showers are on the second floor. There are one or two ensuite rooms if you want.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank travelteacher10

Reviewed September 15, 2011

If you want the amenities of the Ritz-Carlton, forget it. You're on an island 10 miles out to sea. Experience the ocean. The salt air and going to sleep to the sound of the waves is worth more than a coffee-maker, TV, phone or whatever. There is something to be said for coming back to the hotel after hiking the cliffs of Monhegan, relaxing with a glass of wine on the front porch while you enjoy swapping stories with fellow travelers, and then enjoying what my wife and I both felt was a superb dinner.

Breakfast was also very good and plentiful, and the service was excellent. There is coffee and tea available in the game room, a wine refrigerator and plenty of coffee cups and wine glasses.

Not sure why there is some criticism of the owner - he was perfectly hospitable both on the phone and in person.

This was my 2nd stay here and I'd go back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Medstrike
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The rooms at the Monhegan House are clean, but VERY basic. There are no TVs, no coffeemakers, no bathrooms (a shared hall of baths, showers and toilets is down the hall), the beds are comfortable, but everything is very plain, perhaps a bit worn. The point is, you are there to see the island, not the inside of your room. However, if you are traveling with small children (as we were) and if rain is in the forecast, you might find yourself stranded in an island within an island. There is not much for children to do, no playgrounds that I noticed and the hikes (many along steep cliffs) can be dangerous. Just this past week-end a 32 year old man was swept off a rock by a wave and never found. This is not a place to fool with. The food at the hotel was good - nothing to swoon over, but it was trying hard. To get there, take the Hardy Ferry out of New Harbor. The staff is amazing and the ride out is only an hour. We ate lunch at Shaw's Wharf, one of the best seafood meals I have had yet in Maine.

Room Tip: Keep in mind that bathrooms are down the hall. If you need it frequently, locate yourself according...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank mainegreenmama
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I've just returned from a one-night stay at the Monhegan House. And although I must agree with some reviews about the owner/host of the Monhegan House, i.e., he just isn't that friendly a person!, I would be happy to go back there. I assume that people who choose to live on such a remote island just like to basically be left alone....and although he should perhaps be a bit more hospitable, he isn't, and that's just the way it is! I really didn't know what to expect, but all I really want is a room that's clean and a place in which I feel safe, especially when I'm travelling alone! But, I got more than that....yes, I did get a room which was quite simple, spartan perhaps...perhaps there could be a few prints on the wall? something? but then my room had two windows which looked out onto the ocean, that should be suficient, and it was! I had a twin bed which was very comfortable, I loved that it had those 300 to 400 count+ cotton sheets and a down comforter (which I didn't need to use)....and oh my! no key to the door, just a latch to secure from the inside! but I felt perfectly safe, it was so quiet ...I liked the "feel" of the whole place, the downstairs "lobby" area where you could just curl up on the couch and read a book (and there were quite a few books on the shelves), or you could go into the "game" room and play chess or checkers or any number of board games....I liked that there were no t.v.s! no telephone!! but, yes, if you must, you can connect to WiFi...and I loved that there was a very good dining room...with very delicious food! I ate dinner there as well as the complimentary breakfast. I got the morning's special (an omelette, potato pankake, toast, plus I got a the fresh muffin,, fruit, juice, coffee....all for free (well, with my room)....the waitress told me I could get whatever I wanted, and I did!!

Although the bathrooms and showers were located on the 2nd and 3rd floors (my room was on the 4th), that wasn't a problem as well...and there was never any waiting....always available and very clean!

Oh, I loved the porch with the rocking chairs, and people just hanging around...and the sounds of small chldren playing in the yard, their laughter! it was all pretty much perfect!
thanks to the Monhegan House!

Room Tip: Well, if you want quite, ask for a room away from the bathrooms/showers, I assume there'd be les...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed August 25, 2011

it's a room. period. NO amenities: no a/c, no fan, a window-yes-but no cross ventilation. no phone , no tv,. Bathroom,sink and shower are down the hall. You need to know this going in.
Given that, and given where you are, it may be acceptable to try for one night, just for the experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jgbnola
Reviewed June 8, 2011

The staff was very friendly, but after seeing the Island Inn we decided we would rather stay there next time. We ate dinner at the Island Inn and it was excellent. Breakfast was included in our room at Monhegan House but they made it clear we should only order something basic. We were hungry and felt uncomfortable about ordering a side order with our selection and only ordered one pancake. Should have had two, they were fairly small. The room is very basic and we paid extra for an ocean view. The view was actually a small peek at the ocean in the distance. Very relaxed atmosphere and groups were gathering in the living area with wine and hors d'oeuvres that they brought. I liked that part. Shared bathrooms were very clean and there were enough so we didn't have to wait.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beechstreetdancer
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I view the Monhegan House more as part of an experience than simply a hotel / place to stay. There is lots of history to it. It has a very rustic character. It is important to understand Monhegan, its location and history to understand this experience. Monhegan itself is certainly not for everyone by a long strech.

I have stayed here in the summer of 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (3 times) and 2009 (2 times so far...) Each stay was usually a week or 3 nights. I have not stayed at the Yew or the Island Inn. I have stayed for a week at a cottage though....

The owners have been upgrading the place each year which shows their vision and interest to improve the experience there. New for 2009 are completely redone shared bathrooms with new floor, windows, walls, etc... Some longing for the old rustic style may miss it, but I think most return customers will welcome the new bathrooms. In 2008 they redid the lobby floor and added a nice game room / social area where one can also have free coffee from 630 to 730. In 2007 they added two "suites" on the lobby level with private bathroom, sitting area/2nd room and private deck.

Regarding the review where dining room guests can't use the bathroom... It is not the case... The bath room in the dining room is precisely there for the dining guests.

If you stay on the top floor (4th) and it happens to be a hot day it can be very hot in the room. I suggest just keeping to door open to let the breeze cool it off.

Suite 2 has the disadvantage of having the front porch next to it so there may be noise issues although usually it is quiet by 10pm.

The beds have been upgraded over time to very nice mattresses. These are comparable to any hotel actually. The furniture is basically very old and somewhat functional.

The breakfast is very good and including items such as fruit cup, oatmeal, eggs, french toasts, pancakes and daily "specials" for muffin or eggs (including benedict on certain days.) The pancakes are certainly not the chewy type.... they are more corn based than the typical ones....

The dinner is much better in 2009 than in 2008 (same chef too....) very good presentation, taste and variety of fish, chicken, vegetable, meat.

There is no lunch at the Monhegan House itself, but the Novelty is right behind it with good selection of pizzas, sandwiches, salads, ice cream, baked goods, etc etc.

One of the best parts of staying at the Monhegan House is the people that you meet. This is usually at the lobby or front porch before or after dinner.

The key factor to consider is to not compare staying in Monhegan with staying on the mainland or other larger islands. The Island Inn may be the closest thing to that experience, but it is precisely at least what I try to get away from when visiting Monhegan. It is a very remote place, with its history and character that defines a certain experience. In my view, one has to actually be grateful that one can stay at the island as it is privately owned.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mianesva

Been to The Monhegan House? Share your experiences!