“Comfortable inexpensive cabins”
Review of Katahdin Cabins

Katahdin Cabins
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The cabins are slightly small but well furnished clean and tidy but are in need of paint on the exterior. Interior paint is fine. The owners were very friendly and helpful. There was a school group in mostr of the other cabins but we were not disturbed

Breakfast was four muffins in your room and coffee available from the office.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed 2 nights while I was in the area hiking Baxter State park. Cabins were very basic but that was exactly what I was looking for as I just was out for most of my stay in the area. The owners are very pleasant folks that make you feel welcome upon arriving. Also had homemade muffins and cookies sent to your room both days I was there which was a nice added touch.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've stayed at Katahdin Cabins several times. The most recent was an overnight before a winter climb in Baxter. While we look forward to visiting Baxter, we also enjoy spending a few moments with the hosts and getting the latest updates on the park conditions - very helpful! The cabins are perfect for small and large groups. The beds are top notch and there was plenty of hot water for a nice morning shower. And, the host makes wonderful muffins! We will definitely come back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed at the Katahdin Cabins several times and had an excellent experience every time. Highly recommended.. super affordable, clean and super friendly service.

Each time we returned from a day trip to the cabin we were surprised with fresh baked muffins.. amazing service! Upon our arrival each time we stayed at the Cabin they even preheated the cabin to be extra cozy!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Finally getting around to writing this review. My son and his friend stayed here in June for two nights and this was their launching pad for climbing Katahdin and starting their journey on the Appalachian Trail. Cabins are not luxury but very clean and comfortable. The owners are extremely friendly and gave some very helpful advice regarding climbing Katahdin and hiking the AT. Skip the Owner went above and beyond when my son lost one of his hiking poles and Skip called me a day later when I was home at Atlanta. Skip said he was certain it belonged to my son and mailed it to one of the Post offices in Maine and my son picked it up. That kind of service is hard to come by in this day and age. I would come back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Perfect base for Baxter and beautiful country around. We climbed Katahdin and did a few other thrilling trails in the park. Cozy and quiet cabins, everything you need. Tasty cupcakes in your room when you come back! Walking distance to restaurants. The hosts are knowledgable and great people!

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin number 4--perfect!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a one bedroom Sunday, October 7. The first thing I notice was the scent in the cottage. It was a floral type smell, possibly some sort of carpet deodorizer. We went out for a few hours and left the windows wide open to try to air it out. It was still very strong when we got back, so much so that we had to sleep with the window open even though it was quite cold outside....snow on Katahdin in the morning!! The scent was very strong when we had showers so I am guessing it was the cleaner that was used. There were a plate of mini muffins in the room when we came back, a nice touch.

One major complaint was there was not a cup, glass, paper cup, nothing to drink out of. I don't think I have ever stayed anywhere where there was no glass of any sort in the room.

I also found the room very cold, or very hot. The propane heater made it extremely warm but the floors were so cold and the bathroom was very, very cold in the morning.

The room was clean. We did find the room cluttered, a large dresser but the room was not conducive for spending a large amount of time where you would need a dresser. Small fridge and small microwave but not even a napkin to eat with.

After the positive reviews I was excited to stay at the cabins but was pretty disappointed. If you have any problem with scents, this is NOT the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millinocket
Baxter Park Inn
The Young House Bed and Breakfast
Ice Fish Inn
Ice Fish Inn
#4 of 4 in Millinocket

Been to Katahdin Cabins? Share your experiences!