“Diamond in the Rough”

River Driver’s Restaurant & Pub
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Millinocket
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Discover award winning dining in a relaxed setting with menu choices ranging from pub offerings to gourmet cuisine - all prepared by our in-house chefs with the most discerning foodie in mind. Whether you are planning a romantic dinner for two, a family get-together of fun, or a large group function - River Driver's diverse menu of freshly prepared food is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Situated on Millinocket Lake with dramatic and ever changing views of Katahdin, River Driver offers an unparalleled regional dining experience. Arrive early and ask one of our talented bar tenders to mix up one of our seasonal beverages or to suggest a craft beer or fine wine from our extensive selection.
Bangor, Maine
“Diamond in the Rough”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is a fantastic restaurant located literally 10 miles west of the middle of nowhere. Not easy to find, but well worth the trip. Beautiful building, with a great view. My two friends and I had three different meals- all of them were very good. Some very high end meals on the menu, as well as some very reasonably priced meals. Great beer and wine selection, spacious dining with a comfortable rustic atmosphere. I would like to go again.

• Visited July 2013

“Disappointed”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My husband and I went snowmobiling last weekend Jan 30-Feb 1 and wanted to dine at River Drivers as we have eaten at their former site a few years ago and was very good. In reading the reviews prior to going last weekend and being #1 we decided to go. We shared a salad which was very good and I had the fish and chips for dinner and could not finish the french fries as they were so salty!! The fish was good though. My husband orders the surf and turf which included the prime rib and scallops. He ordered the prime rib medium rare and came out well done, the scallops were ok. Yes, he could have sent it back but he did not want to wait as it was starting to snow and we were staying at 5 Lakes Lodge which is like 17 miles away. My husbands meal was like $35 and certainly not worth it. Not sure exactly what makes this restaurant #1. We certainly will not return.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Beachgirl2056
Matt P, Owner at River Driver’s Restaurant & Pub, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
I am sorry you were disappointed with your meal here at the River Driver's. I am not sure what happened that night - i.e., if it was a server error putting in the wrong description or a kitchen error while cooking the dish. It helps everyone to get the feedback while you are in the restaurant so that we can identify and correct the problem straight away. I realize it is not always convenient or comfortable to do this but it is most helpful. If you wish, contact me or have 5 lakes contact me and I will refund the meal charge for the dishes that were not satisfactory. Thank you for your feedback, it helps us improve where we need to.
Bolton, Massachusetts
“Good food at good prices”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Had dinner here in the middle of the winter after a long day of snowmobiling in extremely cold weather. The menu is what I would describe as extended pub fare. Burgers, sandwiches, fish & chips and steak. Everybody in our group of 14 enjoyed their food and the chicken wing appetizers were very popular. The bar had a good selection of beer on tap with something to suit most any palate. There are no bad views as every table is close to or next to large windows that look out across the lake and Mt. Katahdin beyond.

Visited January 2014
Western MA
“Inconsistent dining.”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went to the River Drivers on a snowmobiling trip and I love how accommodating they are to they sport. Good trail access, plenty of space to park the snow machines, etc... But the food is very inconsistent. Last winter it was incredible and this time it was disappointing. We showed up at 8:30 PM and it was prett empty in the restaurant. The soup of the day was bad and the pulled pork sandwich I ordered was bizarre. It wasnt pulled pork, but a complete pork chop cut into about 6 dry and tough chunks and slapped into a roll. Maybe we just hit the place at a bad time with incapable chefs in the kitchen as I've enjoyed this restaurant in the past.

• Visited December 2013
Brunswick, Maine
“Such a night, such a find”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My sister and I were "in the area" and took a chance on this place after a long drive and hard day. What a delight. The haddock/salmon chowder, rich and creamy and hot, was scrumptious; as were the chunks of homemade bread that accompanied it. Being giddy with fatigue, we then opted to share a piece of the chocolate peanut butter torte. We were not even remotely disappointed. It was decadent and delicious, well worth the 2 am belly aches we both had from eating so much, so late in the evening! But, we'd do it all over again if we were to find ourselves back in that neck of the woods! PS we did go back for breakfast and it was equally yummy.

• Visited August 2013