“My first white water rafting experience!”

White Water Rafting NEOC
Ranked #3 of 7 Tours in Millinocket
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: White Water Rafting on the Penobscot River in Maine is one of the most spectacular and challenging whitewater river experiences in the eastern United States and has become our most popular river. The Penobscot River boasts a reputation of exhilarating rapids and breathtaking scenery. Choose your level of excitement - from Family Float trip to Class V. Class I-IV rapids. Our whitewater rafting base is located on Pockwockamus Pond at our Campground - The Penobscot Outdoor Center.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had never been white water rafting before, and knew really nothing about what was involved with it before going on this trip, heck, I don't even know how to swim!

All of the guides had a very relaxed but confident and professional personality with the groups, and our guide, Christie, was no exception. She was absolutely phenomenal! She exuded a sense of calm and zen that instantly quieted any nerves I had about the experience (you could imagine me not knowing how to swim might be a bit intimidated by the prospect of going through some class 5 rapids). Never fear though, Christie was here and everything was going to be fine.

The actual act of rafting itself was immensely fun! the peaks and valleys of calm waters and crazy rapids made for a truly fantastic day. You weren't getting thrashed about for hours at a time, there was plenty of time to relax and enjoy the absolutely GORGEOUS scenery, but there was still plenty of excitement to be had!

The trip also provided a really beyond expectations lunch (who would have guessed I'd get a steak in the middle of the woods as a break from white water rafting... tough life...).

From start to finish this was a trip to remember and I'm really grateful to Christie and all the good people at NEOC for making it happen, thank you!

13  Thank taoby
in 5 reviews
"blast"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Took our 9 and 11 year olds on a "soft" adventure where we ran the lower rapids that are in the Class III-IV range. It was a blast. Guides were a lot of fun. Got to check out the natural slide. Use some duckies (inflatable kayaks). And the lunch was filling and well prepared. We'll definitely be back. And a shout out to Max who was the best 12year old guide I've ever seen. He even helped fix my homemade parachute cord bracelet.

1  Thank Jose G
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have always loved camping growing up, however it has been quite a long time since then..I have pleaded with my boyfriend to go camping and we discussed white water rafting as well. He surprised me with a camping/white water trip. All though my drive was long, Millinocket is not around the corner from West Warwick, it was absolutely worth the drive. We drove up on a Monday June 24th, check in was 5:30pm. It was very muggy, however our camp site was right next to the pond (which you can not swin in due to leaches), so peaceful. We awoke at 7, and checked in for the rafting trip @ 7:30am. Derek was hysterical, informative, and gave us a run down of instructions (we had never done this, so a little nervous) Derek, made us feel very comfortable and he did everything with grace. (he was also our safety guide, stay in your boat Derek (O: ) so nice he was! Christy, our bus driver was super sweet and out photographer, she got alot of great shots of us on the boat. (Second leg we were wanting Baskin Robins Ice Cream in the big cast iron pan at lunch). Sunny "D" (another Derek) our guide, was amazing, when I tell you looks with Sunny D are deceiving, I'm not kidding, that man can pull anyone back in a boat if needed, he was amazing. The rafting trip was about 8 hours long, you start on a class 4 rapid, and go through another 4, a 3, and a 2 & 1 inbetween the rapids you just coast down the river simply put "BEAUTIFUL" land and scenery. (Unfortunately no Moose) after you get down the river and put your boats on the truck, you get back on the bus and head to another location which is along the river and have an excellent lunch prepared by Chris, (also our video guy) the steak was awesome, the river rice to die for and of course water, ice tea, and excellent lemonade, cookie for dessert. Then you had to the third location for the rest of your rafting trip. Be ready, you go through two class 5 rapids, this is where we lost 2 of the 5 people in the boat, which was a little scary and for the life of me I couldn't get anyone in, Sunny "D" to the rescue!! (this is where look are deceiving come into play) Once everyone is back in the boat we continue on over a few more rapids. Then off the river and back to the campsite where they showed the pictures and video. As Tom and I kicked back with a few beers watching, we all were laughing. I would definitely go back. The trip itself was reasonably priced, $99pp and the campsite was $11pp per night. They have there own wood which you can purchase for $5 a bundle, offer ice, showers, bathrooms, (also there are portapotties - and you can grab some breakfast if your hungry. The staff is just truly amazing and friendly and so very helpful.
Thank you to all of you @ NEOC!!! You are all the BEST!!!!!!

1  Thank TomSelyn
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I took my family whitewater rafting today for the first time with NEOC. Our guide Eddie did a fantastic job getting us safely through some angry H2O. This was one family adventure that none of us will soon forget.

1  Thank MtKatahdin
See more reviews
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have been to many rafting company's and this was one of the best experiences to date!
We went with friends and family (total of 10)

Very organized, quick check in with plenty of staff to help, lunch was GREAT (I had the steak, yumm!! chicken and fish looked equally as good), I only wish....I could have had TWO cookies! Hot chocolate was also perfect given he chiily weather conditions.
Rabbit was our giuide, he was friendy, animated, funny, knowledgable and kept us all in the boat (thank God because it was 67 degrees and raining). Thanks Rabbit : )

There is a bar at the base lodge for post rafting, this was just perfect, what better way to end the day than with a cold beer (and a hot shower).

Photographers did a great job as well, we had many pictures to choose from and ended up getting the whole CD.

I would DEFINITLY use NEOC again!!

1  Thank Pat P