“Not Hiker Friendly”

Hotel Terrace and Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Millinocket
Reviewed July 2, 2014

The bad: I called about a month in advance and booked my room. They requested my credit card info, which I gave them. When I arrived for check-in, I was told I wasn't on the books. Sure, I was kind of pissed. When you're six hours away from home and on a budget, the last thing you want to hear is the possibility of not having somewhere to sleep when you KNOW you booked it. The woman was pretty rude to me, practically accusing me of not booking the room ahead of time. Then told me to calm down when I was getting upset because she did have a room.

After paying her (and she commented that I must have called first because I had the correct amount already in my hand), she asked if I was climbing. I said yes since I was in town to hit 3 4,000 footers in Baxter State Park. She acted like I was ridiculous, said she would never do it, and became visibly irritated when, answering her question, I said I was hiking alone, like I have no experience or business whatsoever even going out in the woods period. It was a big turn off.

The carpet on the way to my room was impressive. It looked like they had dragged a bloody body out of one room and down the hall. There was quite a large stain on the carpet. Not impressed. The carpet of my room was so nasty that I refused to walk around barefoot. Had to wear my awesome bunny slippers the whole time. Not impressed. Some of the towels had holes in them, but I should have expected that seeing the condition of the floors.

Saturday night I had to turn the a/c fan on around 10.30-11pm because people outside in the hallway were being so loud. Thought that was kind of rude. In the dining room, since it was fairly empty midweek, you get to listen to the staff's conversations. I'd rather have a quiet meal to be honest. Don't need to hear your life story. The owner's kids were also running around a lot. I wonder if the owners live there too? I didn't ask.

The good: The restaurant wasn't bad. Food came really quickly and in a large portion, exactly what a hiking girl needs! The bed was pretty comfortable, no lumps or anything. The a/c worked. The shower was hot. It's not that far from Baxter State Park, excellent location actually.

The ugly: How the heck do they have such a good rating on Trip Advisor? I was so totally not impressed. All in all, I would not stay here again. Don't really want to deal with the rude owners again. I'd rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Kara D
There are newer reviews for Hotel Terrace and Restaurant

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights on a snowmobiling trip. Room was clean and well stocked. Easy access to snowmobile trails and restaurant on the property. Since all we were looking for was a place to get a hot shower and comfortable bed at the end of the day it was good. If your looking for the Hilton, this place isn't for you but if you just want a clean room to spend the night in you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Terrace back in August on my first trip to Maine. My sister and I were in town to do some hiking and didn't know what to expect from Millinocket. We arrived much later than we had expected - around 10:30 pm - and found the hotel and adjoining restaurant closed up. I called the hotel's number, and the owner was very quick to come and check us in. There was a mix-up and she wasn't expecting our party, but was so welcoming and accommodating even though we surprised her. The next day she checked in with us and recommended dishes at the restaurant. We really appreciated the kind service, and would love to stay again if we make it back to this neck of the woods!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CharlioBarlio
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at this motel in September, 2013. We had breakfast and lunch at the restaurant, and it was quite good. This is probably why people stay here (and it's not pricey) because the accommodations were not terrific. There were good and not so good things about the motel, so I'll list them for you. Pros: comfortable bed, comfortable pillows, separate heat and a/c units, large flat screen TV, terrific water pressure and temperature in shower, small fridge but a fridge nevertheless, hair dryer, not a huge room but comfortable enough. It's also not an expensive stay. Sufficient towels. Cons: No night table on one side, very dim lighting so if you want to do some reading, bring a reading light. I'm serious. We moved the lamp to the side of the bed that did not have a light so I could read. The whole room is dimly lit and there's no way around it without bringing your own reading flip-light or something similar. It's still dimly lit no matter what. If you can bring a plug-in lamp, even better. Bring your own tissues. The tissues they have are very small and you need to use a couple of them to have a regular sized tissue. Bring conditioner if you need it. (Most hotels/motels don't supply conditioner anyway). The hallways look like a dorm hallway. Seriously. It didn't bother us but if you're looking for something a little more like a motel, this isn't it. Also, you can't get a wakeup call if you come in late because the office is closed and the clock, for some reason did not wake us up. I'm glad I had my daughter call us to wake us up!
If you're looking for an inexpensive stay with a good restaurant and a good night's sleep, this place may be fine for you. Your call -- if you don't like a dimly lit room, you won't like this. If you don't like a dorm-type hallway, you won't like this, but if you're just looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay that won't ruin your budget, then this will do the trick. The owners are nice, as are the people working in the restaurant. Near the center of town in Millinocket.

Room Tip: See notes above -- bring a reading light or a lamp, and bring tissues. No pool or fitness center. Th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Portia82104
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed for a week at Ruthie's while hiking the Appalachian Trail. Although it does not look very good on the outside (peeling paint, broken railings, weeds in the flower beds), this is a great place to stay. Rooms are large and very clean. Showers have great water pressure with almost instant hot water. Rooms are furnished with refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers and flat screen TV's with lots of channels. Since we were hiking, we needed extra towels and ice, which were provided every day without us having to ask for them. The adjoining restaurant is one of the best places we have eaten in Maine! We ended up eating breakfast and dinner there almost every night. Menu is fairly large, and they have specials every day. The owner (Ruthie) is very helpful. Since we ate there a lot, we sampled quite a bit of what was on the menu. Pizza's were great, as were the hamburgers, pork chops and fish dishes (salmon, haddock). They make their own bread as well as some of the salad dressings. Homemade strawberry shortcake was the best we have ever eaten! Highly recommend this motel and restaurant. The only negative was that our room did not have a real strong Wi Fi signal, but that was not big deal. I could go just a short distance down the hall to the front "porch" or restaurant and get a good signal. There is no pool, but who wants that in Maine? Great, great place to stay and eat!!!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to office will have stronger Wi Fi signal.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JTDawg
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stopped at Ruthie's for lunch and were very glad that we did. Everything we ordered was great and the price was really reasonable. I had a simple cheeseburger but it wasn't a simple burger - Ruthie told me she grinds her own hamburger from steak and you can definitely tell! Fries and coleslaw were great too! I also had to try a piece of pecan pie but since I make a good pie myself, I am usually disappointed. Not the case here! The pie was also homemade, not the sickening sweet commercial kind, and just as good as mine! The meal made me wish we were around more often to try all the other items and pies on the menu! We will certainly return any time we are in the area, or maybe make a special trip even if we aren't, it is that good!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Janie61351
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at Ruthie's one night after a day of hiking at Baxter State Park. I picked the hotel based on the reviews and we were not disappointed. The room was a basic room with 2 beds and it was clean, comfortable and affordable which was exactly what we were looking for in a hotel. After hiking all day, we arrived back at the hotel for dinner at the restaurant around 8:30. The waitress was wonderful. She was friendly, knowledgable and very helpful for my gluten-free needs. Even though the restaurant closed at 9, we never felt rushed or like we had to leave. This gave us time to enjoy the delicious food. We definitely did not leave hungry. My husband loved his steak tips and quesadilla appetizer!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank tdoe151
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millinocket
Baxter Park Inn
Katahdin Cabins
Katahdin Cabins
#4 of 11 in Millinocket
The Young House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Hotel Terrace and Restaurant? Share your experiences!