“A really nice place”

Axell's Scandinavian Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I was visiting Waterville, but all the motels in town were full. So I had to cast a wider net. Lucky for me, because it brought me to Axell's Scandinavian Inn. This is actually two separate motels, Axell's and the Fairway Inn, a mile or so west. both are strip motels on big horseshoe drive. I stayed at the Fairway. The room was large, updated, well maintained and very clean. It has a galley kitchen with a full size range and refrigerator, perfect for a longer stay. One nice feature was the radiant heating, which kept the room warm, silently. A big improvement over the loud blowers so often encountered. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Fleagle
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We really appreciate it. Sorry you had to travel away from Waterville, but so happy you ended your journey with us!

Sheila and Kent

There are newer reviews for Axell's Scandinavian Inn

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just four miles out of Augusta isa little gem of a place. Nice beds, floor space and a kitchenette for under 100. They even had extra pillows already on the bed. It's pet friendly, too. By Scandanavian, I think they mean IKEA. Love the blackout curtains.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda P

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We really appreciate it and it helps us out too! We hope you stay with us again if you ever return to the area. By the way, I do a lot of our shopping at Ikea! Haha. Love making good use of every inch!

Thanks again,

Sheila and Kent

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I really hate to write a negative review, but there are some changes that Axells Scandinavian Inn could make that would have made my stay there much more pleasant. I would stay there again and encourage others to also stay there as long as you have read this, and other reviews, and understand just what your are getting.

To start with some positives, and the most important attribute to me, is… the room was very clean! We stayed in Room 102. The bed was fresh and comfortable. There was a considerate sign that cautioned us to wait up to 3 minutes for hot water, but we never had to wait that long and there was plenty of hot water. I loved the room’s location to Augusta, BUT:

I was attracted to the place by a price lower than other surrounding motels. However, should I have had to cancel within 30 days of arrival, I would have lost my payment, which had already been withdrawn from my credit card just when I booked. Before the 30 days, there is a $35 per day cancellation fee. I had booked far in advance and fully expected to make the trip, but any number of things can happen that may make a cancellation necessary. Unlike most motels, Axells Scandinavian Inn does not respect that.

There is no pool at this facility! The owners also own another motel, Fairway Motor Lodge, a mile further out on Western Avenue and customers are allowed to use the pool at the Fairway. Unfortunately, I had to hear this from another customer. When we checked in there was no explanation offered about any of the motel operations. We found nothing written in the room that explains how they work. It would have been nice when we checked in to have the clerk say “Have you stayed with us before …. The pool is …. WiFi is …. “ etc. Guess I should have been smart enough to ask all the questions!

Axells provides a do-it-yourself coffee maker in the room with a single bag that makes two cups. Our second day, our coffee maker had not been cleaned and I had to ask at the desk for another bag of coffee. Even a Motel 6 offers coffee in a central location in the morning!

Some motels welcome the guest with a couple of mints on the pillow. When we checked in on our bed we found an empty envelope from the housekeeper. I’m sorry, but when we left the envelope remained empty.

Apparently, because of the efficiency units that they have available, they have a lot of customers who stay for prolonged periods of time. Some are people who may have rented their coastal homes; others are contractors who are working construction projects in the area. Those of us who are visiting for a night or two are possibly an annoyance, which is why they maintain the formidable cancellation policy. But, again, the place is clean, comfortable, and pleasantly located just outside Augusta, and I think they should reconsider their cancellation policy to make it a bit more customer friendly.

I would like to have made some of these comments directly to the owners when we checked out, rather than broadcasting them publicly, but there is no one in the office until 9am and the office door was locked. I felt awkward ringing the bell to simply complain. Reading other reviews, I think the owners are trying hard to make this a successful motel. But, with two separate motels to run and the horrendous hours they have to work, I think they are severely challenged. I would encourage them to re-think their refund policy that might increase the volume of guests and allow them to hire more help.

Again, very clean place, inexpensive if you don’t need to cancel, and near Augusta. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken N
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My boyfriend booked this property as all the hotels closer to Rockport were booked for Lobster Festival. What a pleasant surprise. After a 10 hour drive, it was welcoming to be greeted warmly by the reception lady which we later learned was the owner. The property was well maintained. The room was clean and had a microwave and fridge. They also offer free long distance to Canada and US (which was beneficial as we experienced a family emergency and keeping in contact was easy). I inquired about a particular location and she quickly went online to assist. Would recommend it. I noticed a comment about limited hot water. I thought the same thing but if i read the notice on the desk which stated to run it a few minutes, the issue was quickly resolved. I would only suggest, keeping this notice on the bed to read. Definitely recommend the property.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you so much! We really appreciate your review and will heed your suggestion to find a more prominent spot for the hot water sign. Thank you again and hope you return sometime!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Whenever I am in the Augusta area, this is my first choice to stay.I will admit, I was nervous about staying at a roadside motel like this. However, after seeing my room, I was hooked! I usually stay over at the Fairway Motor Lodge (there other motel that's just down the road). Unlike other motels, each room is unique. If you're use to only staying in $500 a night New York city hotels, this might not be your preferred place. However, with the big lawn, grills, and volleyball net, this is a definitely a family friendly hotel. The heated pool is amazing! I've never swam in a salt water pool until I stayed here, and it didn't make me feel like I needed a shower immediately after. Sheila and Kent (the owners) are two of the most caring, nicest, warm-hearted people. They will bend over backwards to make sure that everything is great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Neal M
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My daughter and I came to stay for 9 nights in Maine. First of all the photos of this inn are misleading. No pool, no nice rooms. When we first got here they didn't even have a room for us and I just wanted my money back and would stay someplace else. Well they said they'd fix it by the time we got back. Tacky room, no blankets on the bed. Well they moved us to another room after promising us a better room but then saying we would have to move to another room for the weekend. Finally gave us a room with a king bed which was ok. Next problem was they didn't put fresh towels in the room 2 nights in a row. On the last night of our stay we came back to our room and there were no clean towels, still on the floor wet, and the bed hadn't even been made. I wil never stay here again. There isn't even anyone around after 9pm till 9 am. Ugh!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Brenda H
Reviewed July 22, 2013

"Inn" is a big misnomer. This is a side-of-the-highway 50s style motel and a most undistinguished one at that. Yes, it is clean and the plumbing and A/C work. But, ugh!!! Ugly, small rooms looking las if they were never nice, let alone after years of use. We stayed here because of the great reviews on TA. How misleading they are! How anyone (other than the owners) call this place charming is unfathomable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank XYZABCTampa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Senator Inn & Spa
Homewood Suites by Hilton Augusta
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Waterville

Been to Axell's Scandinavian Inn? Share your experiences!