“How Could It Get Good Reviews”

Axell's Scandinavian Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 22, 2013

"Inn" is a big misnomer. This is a side-of-the-highway 50s style motel and a most undistinguished one at that. Yes, it is clean and the plumbing and A/C work. But, ugh!!! Ugly, small rooms looking las if they were never nice, let alone after years of use. We stayed here because of the great reviews on TA. How misleading they are! How anyone (other than the owners) call this place charming is unfathomable.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank XYZABCTampa

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were very impressed with the staff. They were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were large and clean. They had a full kitchen with stove, refrigerator and sink. My daughter loved the pool. Would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you so much! We really appreciate your positive review and hope to see you in the future. It was a pleasure serving you.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I took a Minnie vacation on our motor bike, saw this little motel ,looked good,but what a mistake!!! Did not have a good night sleep mattress was hard as a rock... But that wasn't the worst I went to take a shower NO WATER !!! And couldn't go to the front desk to report the problem because there is no one in the office in the early am

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you had trouble with the shower. There is plenty of water, both hot and cold. You must not have turned it on correctly. We have a doorbell at the office door which rings into my apartment for any after or before hours issues. I wish you had come to us and we would have shown you how to turn the knob to get the water in the shower. We hope you will try us again sometime and we will do our best to make your stay a more pleasant experience. Thank you so much, Sheila, the owner, Axell's Scandinavian Inn.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

It was so much more than I expected. Having traveled back and forth from the midwest for 10 years I have seen my share of good and bad. This motel was great. I was just there for one night. It's a strip motel so the room wasn't huge but big enough for a king size bed, dresser, desk, night table and a little kitchenette with microwave, toaster, some dishes and even some dish detergent plus a bigger than mini, mini-fridge. The fridge was small apartment size. Twice the size of the average hotel or motel room. There is a regular thermostat for the heat, which I didn't need. Plus a separate full sized window air conditioner in the bathroom. There is a little sign that says the hot water does take a couple of minutes to come through. It did and when it did it was plentiful with good water pressure. I think I was most impressed with the carpet. It looked fresh and new. I stayed at the Sheraton Boston a few months ago and it reminded me of that carpet. All in all a pleasant stay. I would recommend and go back again. Oh, one more thing. The desk clerk gave an excellent reference for Chinese food. There are several sub shops and restaurants nearby, but I wanted Chinese food. He recommended China King. It has a small buffet, but what is there is excellent. The fried rice was just how I like it. Fluffy with a little pork and small amount of onions. The boneless spareribs where fresh and delicious. The teriyaki beef was thin and tender. Fried chicken wings were good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I recently attended a class in Augusta which involved an overnight stay. I found Axell's online with a great rate and made my reservations. I have pretty bad allergies and requested a non-smoking room in my reservation. Not more than an hour after my reservation was made, I received an email response confirming all the rooms were non-smoking. Upon arrival, I was informed that the party staying next to my room was smoking outside, which is reasonable, but another room was available if I preferred. I ended up in a beautiful end unit after looking at both rooms. The room was extremely clean, quiet, and had everything anyone could need, I.e. microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and even dishes. I really appreciated the staff accommodating my request and highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was a walk-in guest at Axell’s Scandinavian Inn, and the young man at the desk invited me to look at a room first. He was very friendly and made a great effort to recommend all the local places to eat. The room was nice; it was very clean, and the whole motel was quiet. I thought there was someone next door to me but didn't hear them, so, points for soundproofing. The heat was off – logically, since the room was not reserved -- & it took the aged radiator a couple of hours cranked all the way up to comfortably heat it. A few dishes are provided. The toilet and shower are in a separate room from the sink. I wondered why there was no towel bar beside the sink, and wound up hanging my towels on the little mirror which pulls out on an arm from the wall. The room comes with a mini fridge (clean) and a microwave (not visibly dirty, but... read on).
I wanted tea, and tried heating up a mug of water in the micro. What came out of it was dreadful. The tea had absorbed the taste of whatever all else had been cooked in it in the past. Kind of a stale pasta/meat/tv-dinner sort of taste, and completely undrinkable. I had to throw it out and start over, with the coffee maker to heat the water. It spluttered out some old-coffee-smelling drips to start with, but did heat the mug. Unfortunately it took well over half an hour to get close to hot. I was resting from a long drive and watching tv so it wasn't a great disaster. Since I was not quite awake yet when I checked out and the clerk (a different one) didn't ask how my stay was, I didn't bother mentioning it. Probably should have suggested a scrub of the micro!
The motel is on a very busy road with a lot of traffic. However, once the door is closed it isn't really noisy. All in all, it was quiet enough, clean, and comfortable, at a decent price. Despite the minor glitches, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in the winter, call ahead to reserve if you can, & ask them to turn on the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AlisonAnnie
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am very happy that you found our guest rooms to be clean and comfortable.

Also, thank you for your suggestions. I am having my husband install towel rods in the 4 guest rooms that have the sinks separate from the bathroom. I just never thought of it! And no one has ever given us the idea after all these years!

Also, again, I never thought about the "Smells" of the microwave, although I have always made sure my staff cleans them. I did some research and found that we simply need to add a step of a bowl of vinegar cooked for 3 minutes on high to rid the microwave of old cooking smells.

Thank you again and we hope you return soon,

Sheila Axell, Owner, Axell's Scandinavian Inn

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Fairway Motor Lodge was my home 7 nights May 2-9 2012. Traveling as a single, I'm very aware of my surroundings & alert to my safety. I was very appreciative of my quiet location & natural setting.
Road noise is minimal since the pool & large lawn area are between units & route 202. I was moved to a more expensive room which was a blessing since the room is much larger with full updated kitchen (new stove & refrig). My bathroom shower curtain rod was the newer bowed out type & i really enjoyed the instant hot water. Bathroom was finished in all white ceramic tile. Wifi had excellent connection! My room was clean, quiet, safe. My 7 day stay was very pleasant. I'm returning Oct 9 for another week.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
3 mi away
Best Western Plus Augusta Civic Center Inn
Senator Inn & Spa
Senator Inn & Spa
#5 of 9 in Augusta
2 mi away
Quality Inn & Suites Maine Evergreen Hotel
Fairway Overnight & Extended Stay

Been to Axell's Scandinavian Inn? Share your experiences!