“NYC Down East”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Providenciales
“NYC Down East”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This restaurant stands in its own light for every reason. Most notably, the Blue Bird Ranch features delicious cuisine at reasonable prices served by an efficient, knowledgeable, accommodating, wait staff team. Then there are the restaurant's unique features. Imagine being 300 miles of Boston in Maine in the middle of winter and being presented with a menu featuring lobster thermidor, paella, pork medallions in an orange ginger sauce, grilled prime rib--and the list goes on.

I contacted owner? Beth before my mother's 92nd Valentine's Day birthday to see if it was possible to arrange for my mother's favorite entree and a birthday cake. Beth put the lobster thermidor on her Valentine's special menu! She then offered me a choice of a half dozen cakes! Furthermore, adding two additional diners to our party at the last minute was no problem for the accommodating staff.

When I arrived at the Blue Bird Ranch, I was surprised to see that their extensive regular menu selections were available in addition to the special Valentine's menu. And while the Valentine's special menu included an appetizer bar, soup or salad, entrée, dessert, and a soft drink (at ridiculously reasonable prices of between $23-$29), I was able to order a la carte--just the salad and entrée. The lobster thermidor was delicious, the grilled prime rib cooked as rare as I specified and accompanied by hot horseradish, the paella was packed with mussels and tiger prawns, and the pork tenderloins were exquisite in the orange ginger sauce. Really, the experience was as delectable as it was unbelievable.

The wait staff found candles for the cake and assembled to sing happy birthday which was festive. And the cake! It was chocolate with raspberry filling and a delicious, not sweet frosting. I've not had a better meal in NYC, and at the Blue Bird Ranch at easily half the price! We also had a couple of bottles of their red wine. It was not the Copper Ridge listed on the menu, but whatever it was, it was delicious--dry with subtle fruit flavors.

I'd googled Down East restaurants to decide where to go for the celebration, and I now understand why the Blue Bird Ranch had no competition.

• Visited February 2014

Massachusetts
“WELL WORTH THE TRIP”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The food was great...Started off with the fish chowder, then my husband had the combo with fish and scallops fried (with very light batter and extra fresh oil) , I had sauteed scallops (delish) and we ended with a piece of pumpkin mud flat (which was so good we took 2 more home with us). Our waitress was excellent.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank loriant
Hamilton Montana
“Enjoyed dinner, came back for breakfast”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is a great family restaurant, with all the usual American fare. But we were in Maine, so went for the lobster. It was as good a lobster dinner as you'll get anywhere, at a great price. Service was friendly and efficient. I was so full and happy, I moseyed out to my car, forgetting my hat inside. The waitress ran out and gave it to me before I missed it. We came back the next morning for a hearty egg breakfast. It's a great small town restaurant that's popular with locals and travelers.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank RedDog323
“Best blueberry pie ever”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We drove through Machias on our way to Portland, and found this restaurant on trip advisor. We stopped based on recommendations, and were not disappointed. The lobster roll was a great value with tons of sweet lobster, my husband said the clams were the best he's ever had, and the blueberry pie was out of this world. The server was very friendly, and gave us lots of history and info on the area. We highly recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank Janet B
Nashville, Tennessee
“our favorite”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

place to eat in Machias. They have a very good hamburger, and their specials are always special.
One of these days I will pass on the meal and eat only desserts. They look wonderful, but I'm always too full from my meal. I notice that you can also buy bulk frozen blueberries.

• Visited July 2013