“I stay there on a weekly basis.”
Review of Bluebird Motel

Bluebird Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Machias
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stay at the Bluebird on a weekly basis as I work a couple days in Machias. From the very beginning I have felt that my comfort has been important to them. They are always making upgrades based on customers suggestions. They also check in to see if the upgrades are good for the customers. The staff make me feel that I am welcome and my stay is important. The rooms are always clean with clean linens and their fridge has bottled water to drink. Tom's Store has a deli/restaurant which makes great food for a reasonable price. The view from other locations around the town are gorgeous and there is nothing more stunning than a sunrise in Washington county. It is a treat to be able to see deer in the fields behind the motel early in the morning. I would stay here even if a new larger motel were built here. I will keep the personal touch.

Room Tip: I tend to choose non-smoking rooms as they smell cleaner.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Kathy M
There are newer reviews for Bluebird Motel

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have been staying at this motel for several years whenever I travel to Machias. The people are great and the rooms are clean with microwave, fridge, coffee maker and free WiFi. Price varies with the seasons. They are located next to Tom's Gulf Gas Station & Restaurant - you can walk over for an excellent fresh made meal that is reasonably priced - many locals eat here. The motel is located on the "western" side of Machias just a few blocks away from a Rite-Aid, McD's and Hannaford's, and maybe a mile from UMaine Machias. Machias has a very good laundramat with free WiFi on Water Street, several places to eat and 2 5-star restaurants just outside of Machias. And just a short drive to 2 golf courses and Roque Bluffs beach and state park. Machias is the wild blueberry capital of the world - don't miss the summer festival.

Room Tip: They have rooms for smokers, nonsmokers and a few rooms are handicap accessible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I am remiss in now having written this review earlier. In August and September while bike touring through New England and the Canadian Maritimes we received fantastic hospitality. After biking all day (75 miles) in the pouring rain, we arrived at the Bluebird as drowned water rats. The host and his wife took grand care of us ... even driving us into Machias (it was still pouring) to get some take out dinner for supper. Although I tried to tip them for this service, they wouldn't hear of us. It's great to be on the receiving end of generosity.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RichHoeg
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The pros: Close to U Maine Machias for visiting families
Very clean
good sized room
flat screen tv and Direct tv
Wi Fi
friendly staff

Cons:
The price. We paid just under $100 a night for a two night stay ($200 total). That was with a AAA rate.
No breakfast.
We had to ask for extra towels but were quickly supplied what we needed
Be careful water is set very hot.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2013

we stayed there and went on the puffin trip in Cutler the next morning - the room was clean & fairly comfortable - i thought it was a little pricey for the area - but all in all it was a good stay - could use some updating with linens towels & pillows but the owners were super nice

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Catherine8875
Reviewed September 29, 2013

spent one night here while visiting our daughter at the college just up the road...I called the day before to book a room and the person on the phone was extremely nice! She was apologetic that the only rooms she had left were smoking rooms, but this was not a problem for us as my husband smoke and while we are used to not finding smoking rooms anymore its not a big deal either way for us. The best news was that they are pet friendly!! a small $10 for our pet to spend the night with us. They do accept AAA. We were in room 112, a queen, smoking room.
several pros but a couple of cons:
Pros:
very clean!
Allows pets
nice flat screen TV
waters in the fridge
small microwave
plenty of hot water in the shower and plenty of pressure
internet connection cord provided
very nice customer service
cons:
thin towels (I mean really thin)
thin pillows! (again, VERY thin)
no fan in the bathroom although you can open the window to let out the steam
closes at 10pm (ice is in the office so get it before then)
no coffee pot

The town of Machias is pretty quiet. This place reminded me of going to my grandparents house when I was little, very clean but anything that didn't HAVE to be updated was not. It served it's purpose for us and we were thrilled they were pet friendly but I agree with the other reviewer about it being a great room if it were priced at $50-60 range.

Room Tip: This room did smell like smoke (as expected) and they had left a can of room freshener but no ashtra...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MIkkinJay
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Recently spent four nights here on a business trip. You basically have two choices in town the Bluebird or the Machias Motor Inn. Some of the guys stayed at each, from my stay at the Bluebird and talking to them, sounds like there are plusses and minuses.

The Bluebird is just as you come into town, so it's not in the town center where you can walk to both main restaurants and the town bar. But it has a convenience store with a small restaurant in back, I had a breakfast burrito there, it's good.

As far as the room itself, yeah it's an old motel. Three rows of single story buildings with entrance to your room on the outside. But it's been upgraded.

Good
1. Clean
2. Flatscreen TV with DirecTV...lots and lots of channels
3. Retrofitted with euro style HVAC, pretty quiet.
4. Rooms in the back rows of property are nice and quiet
5. Ethernet cable for internet
Not so good
1. Bed was way hard for my taste, I'd have given them 4 stars vice three if I didn't dislike the bed.
2. Wi-fi has very small coverage area (mostly mitigated by ethernet cable, but with no 3G or 4G service in the area unless you have US Cellular, it renders your smartphone a paperweight)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the back, unless you're dying to use wi-fi, then go middle front row.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TomandJC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machias
Machias River Inn
#1 of 1 in Dennysville
Margaretta Inn
Margaretta Inn
#1 of 3 in Machias

Been to Bluebird Motel? Share your experiences!