“Very convenient to Machias Motor Inn”
Review of Helen's

Helen's
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Machias
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Mine was delicious.....lobster stew, fried whole belly clams, broccoli, and salad. Dad's fried haddock was lightly dipped and fried with no oily residue. He also had brown rice and broccoli. He didn't think they had used any seasoning. The also did not cook the broccoli enough but I know some like it like that. The foods was good and fresh. I had blueberry pie aka mode which was excellent. The waitress made ice coffee for me even though it's not on the menu.

There are newer reviews for Helen's

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Was looking for a good meal when I was in this town and was told to come here. I had pot roast sandwich and it was really tasty with a Sam Adams. My friend had the surf and turf and he said it was also very good. The decor is old school. The service was very good.If you are looking for an home cooked style meal this is the place.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Helen's is a real find. It's a mom and pop kind of place like we used to go to when I was a kid. You know the kind of place I mean. Friendly people, great service, delicious food lovingly prepared, fair prices, and a down home atmosphere. Helen's has it all. We both had seafood dinners and they were wonderful. The breading was light and the shrimp were perfectly done as was my fish. I had the seafood chowder and it was without a doubt, the best chowder I've ever had anywhere at any price. We travel a lot, and I always get chowder when I go out to dinner. I've had it hundreds of times with some being poor, some fair, some good, some excellent, then there's Helen's. Really, it was the best I've had. Since we were touring New England, I had expected to get some good chowder, but I never dreamed of getting chowder like Helen's. If I ever go back to the area again, I'll go to Helen's for sure. Only next time I'll get the biggest bowl of chowder they have. Give Helen's a try. You really wont' be sorry,

Reviewed April 5, 2014

In town for business. Staying at the motor inn. Had multiple meals here. Breakfast lunch and dinner. Food was good and consistent. Not a fan of booths, the place could use an update. Service was very good. The blueberry pie was outstanding. Would go here again. Nice job

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Helen's still has its great homemade pies, but it seems that is all it has going for this restaurant. Since the restaurant moved to its new location (the old restaurant had lines of people waiting at the door to get in!), it has not lived up to its former reputation...for years now. The atmosphere needs to be updated, the chairs are uncomfortable, and the portions have dwindled terribly. The food is just okay. If you stay with the local fare, which is seafood, you will be happy with what you get, but other than that, you are taking a chance that you will get a good and tasty meal. The veggies in particular are terrible...they taste like they are from a can and sometimes taste like like they've been heated up over and over again.

schoppee, Owner at Helen's, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for your recent review Ernestine. It is vital to our business to hear all of our recent guests comments. Since Helen's has been at the current location since the early 1990's it is unclear if you have been in since the move. All of our vegetables (except for canned beets) are cooked fresh and from local farmers when possible every day. They are never preheated or on a steam table to prevent browning and deterioration of nutrients. We are glad you enjoy our bakery items like our award winning pies and our local fare which comprises the majority of our menu.