“Tried this place twice...won't go again.”

Ebenezer's Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Lovell
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Claymont, Delaware
“Tried this place twice...won't go again.”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We went to Ebenezer's in May, over Memorial Day weekend, and then again this summer, though we had our doubts from the first visit but decided to give it one more try. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of choices for restaurants in the Lovell area.

We had the same waitress both visits and ate on the outdoor patio area. We remember her because the service was so poor the first time that when we saw her come our way, we all remembered that first visit. However, we were game to give it another go.

Having heard another waitress mention the night's specials, I asked our waitress about them. She did not offer to tell us. She said, "Yes, there are a few specials." We said, "What are they please." She said she did not know and had to go check with the kitchen. After coming back, she related what they were. When asked to describe how one of them was prepared, she said she did not know, and laughed. We did not.

The first visit, our salads were missing most of the described vegetables as described on the menu. When I pointed that out, she said that the kitchen didn't know what they were doing, but did offer to bring us the veggies, which she did.

This second visit, once again, our salads were missing the sauteed onions as described on the menu. When we told her, she offered to bring us some, which she did in a small bowl. Not as appetizing, but oh well. I guess it is the best we could get. The steak salad, especially WITH the onions was delicious. But the poor service left us with a bad taste in our mouths.

The menu offers some varied choices. For the service and atmosphere, however, (white plastic chairs on the patio) the prices are too steep. Especially when ingredients are left out!

We don't drink beer, but I guess their varied beer menu is a draw for many visitors.

We won't go again.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Splanky

Binghamton, New York
“Great experience and great food!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We recently visited Ebenezer's off the recommendation from a Maine travel guide and are very thankful for the recommendations. We had a great time. The beer, food, and waitstaff were all great. We ended up returning a few days after the first visit because we had such a nice experience.

I think we ended up trying about 10 of the 35 drafts and over 800 bottles available. The beers, mostly based on the waitresses recommendations were all tasty and fun to try. The prices were a little steep (one bottle from Norway was around $22) but was worth it. The food was all very good. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the sausagefest on both visits. I enjoyed the chimay burger with garlic stilton cream cheese on the first visit and couldn't put down my fork while savoring The Capitola (steak tip salad) during the second visit. Our waitress was very helpful with suggestions that were compatible with my mother's gluten-free diet. My only complaint (which really is more of a suggestion/wish) would be that the brie wontons were a little light on the brie.

All in all it was a great time and I would highly recommend it to anyone in driving distance of Lovell.

• Visited August 2012
Sabattus, Maine
“Beer Heaven”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Well if you like beer this is your place to come... They have so many to choose from and its not even funny. It was rated the best in the world.. The food was outstanding and the service was great..

Visited July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Pub, Great Beer”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have been going to Ebenezer's for approximately four years now and have been disappointing very few times. The beer selection, as others have mentioned, is excellent with some very hard-to-find beers along with some great traditional Belgian beers. The food is what you want from a Pub - fried appetizers, satisfying sandwiches, and filling entrees. My favorite meals have always included a side of the Belgian pub-style fries with mayo, and my wife swears by the chicken fingers.

• Visited June 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Great beer selection, the food could be better”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

If Ebenezer's would spend a little extra money to hire a chef who would create better meals it would be a phenomenal place! It is right on the Lovell Country Club golf course and a great place to have a cocktail after a long day of hiking, skiing or snowmobiling. I've eaten there several times over the years based on convenience alone and am always disappointed in the food. The food just doesn't match the excellent selection of beers or smiling staff! Please, Ebenezar's, bring someone on-board who can help create a few fresh items and I really think you guys will make even more of a name for yourselves!

• Visited June 2012