Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro
Inn at Ocean's Edge(Lincolnville)
$239
Glenmoor by the Sea(Lincolnville)(Great Value!)
$99
Hotels.com
Mount Battie Motel(Lincolnville)(Great Value!)
$150
$146
Point Lookout(Northport)(Great Value!)
$232
Whitehall(Camden)(Great Value!)
$133
Hotels.com
$219
Lord Camden Inn(Camden)(Great Value!)
$189
Grand Harbor Inn(Camden)
$499
$359
Ducktrap Motel(Lincolnville)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsdouble bedtiny bathroomcoffee makermicrowave and fridgevariety of breadshummusyogurthard boiled eggsone night stayenglish muffinsgrounds are lovelycamden state parkcamden areastovecottagemotelpamela
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Bay Leaf is nothing fancy. Not that I expected it to be anything else. It's pretty basic. For that, I give it three stars. The rooms in the motel part -- that's where we stayed -- are clean, with very basic furnishings and some nice homey touches. But there are a few issues:

1) The bathrooms are very small. I'm small, myself, so for me, this isn't a huge deal. But anyone large would have a hard time dealing with the toilet and the shower.

2) The curtains. The ones in place are very thin and not really wide enough to cover the windows, side to side. Not a major issue, but better curtain could make a stay more pleasant.

3) The breakfast that someone else said was "delicious" is really pretty average.The usual continental stuff you'd get at any chain motel. Again, I know this isn't a fancy hotel. But I don't want anyone to have the idea they're getting something super spectacular, when it's really pretty ordinary.

4) I know this isn't the Ritz, but I was surprised to come back at the end of the day and find the bed still unmade. To be fair, they do provide information about this in the binder that's in your room, when you check in. I don't know about you, but that's not something I generally study when I get to my hotel room. A heads up at check-in would've helped.

5) The toilet ran. A lot. Again, a minor annoyance, but it drove me nuts. I didn't report it, either, so it's partly my fault. But it would've been nice if it wasn't an issue.

The most unsettling thing actually occurred during check in. I made my reservation a couple months ago and had a few email exchanges and a phone call with the owner. Nonetheless, when we arrived, they couldn't find our reservation. I even had a confirmation number, which the owner said was useless. The problem seems to be that they do it all on paper -- nothing is computerized (maybe this would solve the problem?). I know not everyone isn't computer savvy, and I'm sure it was just one of those things. I was lucky -- they had plenty of rooms available, so again, not really a problem. Still, if the situation were different, we would have been stuck.

Another problem -- and this is really minor -- the package we had included a lobster dinner, with the lobster provided by a local seafood place. A very nice promotion. But I think some kinks need to be worked out. Neither the motel nor the seafood place provided us with any utensils or napkins. I know this sounds nit picky, but since Bay Leaf did provide paper plates, lobster bibs, and wet wipes, it would've been nice to go all the way. I mention it only because we didn't realize the problem until we were all settled in to eat, and by then it was too late.

None of these things are major. And I understand that this is a pretty basic place. But with a few changes, Bay Leaf would be a lot better. Here's hoping.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neshkah
BayLeafCottages, Owner at Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

A nice face to face discussion maybe? We strive to have our property clean and cozy for our guests with a complimentary continental breakfast that includes many options for travelers from near and far. A complete listing of our breakfast offerings is included on our website so guests can decide whether or not to partake of it, seek to eat off-site, or bring food to cook in their cottage or have in their motel room.

As you can imagine, we have, in the three years of ownership, tried to improve upon various issues on our property which we inherited. As with any existing older structure, we can't change the size of the bathrooms. Cottages from that era didn't even have bathrooms so luckily all of our cottages/rooms are equipped. The fixtures were updated prior to our purchase and we have added quality amenities and towels for our guests as well as recently painted. However, we can't rebuild the units - since the motel rooms were each originally a cottage. We show photos of each room and a floor-plan online - vintage, not modern, and definitely not cookie cutter chain hotel.

As per your suggestion, we will be happy to add another drapery panel to that window for more privacy but since the room is on the 2nd floor with a dark wooded backdrop where there are no people whatsoever, it's not been an issue to date.

Your Groupon Package was "stay 2 nights get two live lobsters" (not lobster dinners). The live lobsters were cooked by the local lobsterman's wife at our expense and for your entertainment, you received a bag with plates/wipes/bibs and could obtain from us the lobster crackers if needed (lobsters were soft shell which typically do not require extra utensils). Each room has a napkin dispenser so I am not sure why this became an issue for you.

Clearly stated in on our website, on a bedside stand, and in our welcome materials (binder in the room) is our housekeeping schedule and towel exchange procedure. Like many hotels trying to be cost-effective and eco-friendly, we do not service the room daily but can do so for a nominal fee. We ask each guest upon check-in to let us know if they have any issues or concerns so we can resolve them immediately. Receiving a manifesto post-visit is not going to help us help YOU during your visit - a running toilet is quickly resolved, extra napkins readily available, etc. We WANT to help our guests have a wonderful experience with us. We will take your suggestions and work with them to do better. Thank you!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

An extraordinary location with excellent amenities for the two of us and our dog. The owner, Jane, really "gets it" when it comes to being accommodating to both species. The continental breakfast was very generous. She provided a remarkably long list of nearby attractions, including dog-friendly restaurants and personal insights to coincide with our interests. Our cottage (#5) was snug for sure, but immaculate and offered a surprising number of human and creature features. We highly recommend this property for anyone, but especially for dog owners who want to bring along four or more legs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friend and I enjoyed a girls weekends away. Bay Leaf provided us with wonderful accommodations, gracious hosts, delicious breakfast options and a central location for our coastal getaway. The rooms each have a theme and are clean and spacious.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank L R
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My friend and I stayed here in October of 2012. We were going to be arriving very late and the office would be closed, but when I called they said they would put a key on the office door for us. When we pulled up, the key was in an envelope with a hand-drawn map to our cottage. So sweet! The cottage was perfect - small, but one master bedroom and one bunk bed/sofa area and bathroom. It was so well decorated, I could have stayed for much longer than one night! The whole property is absolutely charming and beautiful. It is very simplistic, yet makes you feel at home. My favorite part was that they were not just dog friendly, but dog welcoming! Dogs get a check-in gift, and the information binder in the room is full of dog-friendly restaurants and activities in the area. Breakfast in the AM was perfect. My friend and I concluded that we should have stayed here both nights that we were in Maine! If I ever find myself back in this area, I would absolutely welcome the chance to stay at Bay Leaf Cottages again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank colormecolorado
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My mom and I stayed in cottage 12 on a recent trip to explore Maine. It is very cute and cozy inside. Just right for 2 people. 1 queen & 1 twin bed, sofa, chair, tv, kitchen with stove, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, dishes and a table with 4 chairs. Bathroom has a shower, toilet and sink. All the comforts of home. Breakfast is served in the office. There was a variety of items available to choose from. Items you can take with you and enjoy back in your cottage if you decide to. Jane, the office manager, was very helpful in pointing out points of interest in the area. Very friendly! I would recommend staying here. The setting is very pretty and the view of the ocean across the street was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family