“Don't be fooled by photographs”

Glenmoor by the Sea
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lincolnville
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My first recommendation is to read the other reviews. We too, were lured by the photos and descriptors online. We had a Groupon offer and felt we were assigned our room accordingly. We had room #5 of the motel unit (the oldest rental option, we learned), close to the highway, freshly painted but sterile, void of any homey or welcoming touches. The season opened early May, we arrived end of May, our room was very musty, despite a 24 hr. airing on our part. Our room was connected by a door to an adjoining room and conversations and TV were easily heard. The continental breakfast was quite delightful the first morning, though the space is tiny. The second morning we arrived to find no coffee, fruit or clean bowls without searching out someone to replace these items. Before Glenmoor becomes a destination location, I suggest that the basic welcoming needs be addressed for the occasional traveler first.

Room Tip: Look into the cottages or choose a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank everythingreen
glenmoorbythesea, Manager at Glenmoor by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Our Seagate building, which has 7 rooms to it, is the origin of the “Glenmoor by the Sea”. It was once called “Smart’s Motel” and was used by travelers as a rest point when making their way to Canada. At that time there were no other cottages and hardly any development in the area. We have aired out #5, and will be remodeling the entire building most likely this winter. We hope you enjoyed the patio and ocean view from the room as well as the breakfast. For an infinitely quiet and peaceful experience we highly recommend the Highland, Breakers, and Oceanfront cottages with amazing views.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Glenmoor is a beautiful, well-maintained property with great views and staffed by friendly people. It consists of a motel area and several individual cottages. We spent two nights in the motel. The room was spacious and clean and the beds were comfortable. I am not the sort of person who minds if the furniture looks like it is from an episode of "The Golden Girls," but if "updated" matters to you, this is probably not your spot. The breakfast area is nice and cheery and there are many selections. I really wanted to rate Glenmoor much more highly, but there was one major problem. We were given Room 3 in the motel and did not know and were not told that it adjoins Room 7, separated only by one small door that isn't close to being sound proof. It was our luck to be next to a woman who was obviously in the final stages of tuberculosis, her chatty male companion, and a small, yippy dog. Upon check in the dog barked for an hour nonstop, then the couple returned and the coughing and sneezing and loud conversation began. It would end around 11 in the evening and start up again about 6:30 in the morning. This cacophony made sleeping in impossible. In other reviews, I read how noise from the highway bothered some people here, but it was no match for next door neighbors whose every breath was audible. I think you should give Glenmoor a chance, just be aware of the problems with noise in the Seagate building.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
10  Thank DuffyNC
Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you want to watch the sunrise over the Atlantic, this is a great location. The cottage was very comfortable, with cable TV and wireless internet. We had a delicious breakfast in the main building, and there were lots of activities for families.

Room Tip: Our cottage was one row back from the ocean and we had a terrific, unobstructed view. There were sta...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We went on September of 2012 with a couple of friends and our dogs and we had a nice long weekend. On Friday nights they had a good selection of wine, cheese and crackers! and at nights a nice Bonfire.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mario M
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. The service was great. Cottage was very clean, although the bed in our cottage (#29) was not very comfortable. They have nightly bonfires and free continental breakfast. Great value! We loved it.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Admartinezjr
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I love this place so much so I am writing a review as I'm still here.

I had a notion to take a ride up the mid coast on Wednesday (9/11) with a couple of Room Saver coupons. The first place I stopped off at gave me the creeps so I decided to keep going up the road and alas, there was Glenmoor! The two ladies at the front desk were really helpful and one of them showed me the room just to see if I would like it. I ended up liking it a lot and I think the next time I stay here, I'll request the Seagate section (#6).

For almost exactly the same price it would have been at the other place (about 85 dollars), I got a cleaner and more updated room. Not to mention, a door that actually locks and a small but filling selection of breakfast items. But the best part is the deck! Right outside my window is a deck area that is shared by the other units. It overlooks the water and trees, along with the cottages. I made myself a cup of coffee and stood outside this morning (9/12) in awe of the beautiful surroundings. It just felt really calm and I was able to take my mind off work (which was the initial reason why I decided to go on a mini vacation).

Needless to say I am sad that I have to leave but I look forward to a return visit!

The only downside to the Seagate area is that you do get traffic noises from Route 1. However, if you're like me and don't mind the comforting flow of tire sounds, it shouldn't be a problem. The other slight issue is that you can hear people next door to you but again it's not something that will be a fly in the ointment, unless you have ridiculously noisy neighbors (I did not).

For what it's worth, it is a nice place to relax and enjoy Maine's mid coast (the other benefit of staying here is that you're roughly ten minutes from Camden and twenty from Belfast).

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank MovementandLocation
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed in cottage 29 for three nights, one row of cottages from Penobscot Bay. View was unobstructed directly to the bay. Spent all three evenings on one of the two decks built over the ocean front. Great deck for wine and cheese and total relaxation.

Room was very clean and relatively large. Free light breakfast served each morning. Location is about a ten minute drive north of Camden. Staff is friendly and helpful.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: If traveling as a couple, ask for a cottage in either of the two front rows to the ocean. Cottages...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jerry F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincolnville
Inn at Ocean's Edge
#5 of 10 in Rockport
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Glenmoor by the Sea? Share your experiences!