“hhhmmmmm...”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lincolnville
GA
“hhhmmmmm...”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

First off let me say the staff members were friendly and provided a great continental breakfast, and the cabin we were in had a good view of the bay. The issue was with the size of the cabin and the foldout sofa. Two small for three adults and sofa was waaay uncomfortable.

3 Thank govtmule
Katherine B, Owner at Glenmoor by the Sea, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
I am assuming you had one of the cabins close to the water and yes they are really only suitable for a couple and maybe a small child. We don't recommend the single pullout sofa's to adults. We have replaced most of the pullouts on the property so not knowing which one was a problem I will assume it was an older one and those will be replaced shortly. Unfortunately pullouts of that size (loveseat/single bed) really aren't that comfortable so we will probably end up making those cottages for couples only so no one is disappointed. The cottage does seem small when the sofa is pulled out. We are pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay and would recommend a larger cottage in the Highlands or a suite in the St Andrews building if you choose to come back and visit again. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed here over the memorial day weekend and really enjoyed our stay! Polly, Jill of all trades at the resort was fantastic with my reservation as we were staying for our anniversary.
The cottage was lovely and right over the water. Everything was clean and looked like the photos, the cottage has a great layout, the only suggestion is a curtain to close off the sleeping area from the rest of the room. We loved sitting on our deck watching the sailboats and an early morning lobster boat. The only disappointment was the breakfast, yogurt, fruit and muffins(that were from a large package, not fresh) but that really wasn't bad, just nothing special. Otherwise it was really a great stay, we will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Ocean front ones are fantastic! Ask the staff to find the room that fits your needs.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy H
Katherine B, Owner at Glenmoor by the Sea, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Hi, Thank you for your review. I am really pleased Polly was showing off all her talents during your stay. The only point I would like to make is our muffins are baked every day by Polly, sometimes by her daughter Ashley or by me, and that they aren't packaged pre-baked from the store. I am not sure why you thought that but most mornings someone comments on the awesome smells coming from the kitchen especially when the giant cinnamon rolls are in the oven. We hope to extend our variety next year after we make some additional changes to the property this fall.
Thanks again for taking the time to review us.
Katherine
Owner, Glenmoor by the sea
Townsend, DE
Reviewed July 5, 2012

A friend and I stayed 5 nights in a cottage by the water. We had a double bed, pull out couch, mini frig,microwave and coffeemaker. A continental breakfast was wonderful with warm sweet rolls.
Kathy and her staff were available with suggestions and driving directions. We have our reservation for next year.

Room Tip: There are cottages with 1-2 bedrooms, motel-like rooms, and suite for larger groups. Something for e...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband got this Groupon deal as a surprise and that is the only reason why we were here. The cottage we stayed in was cute, but right away, we noticed a collection of dead bugs in the corners of the rooms, indicating it is not thoroughly cleaned daily or weekly. There was also a dead fruit fly stuck to the base of the bathroom window. Our sheets and blanket had stains on them that looked disgusting, and on our 2nd night there, found a bedbudg racing across the bed (though we did not get bit), even though the innkeeper said the beds get sprayed at the start of each season. The bed itself seemed ok at first, but both of us woke up sore both nights.

The property is lovely, with rolling green lawns, a scenic overlook and even a firepit for the evenings. I wished the cottage had an iron, which most hotels offer you. We knew the breakfast would be disappointing, as that is what a continental is, and had to budget for going out to eat, too. if we didn't have the coupon, I would have said the price for the stay vs. not having a great breakfast spread wouldn't be worth it.

The location of the inn was pretty central to downtown Camden and Lincolnville Beach.

The innkeeper was excellent- very helpful and we liked her a lot. Her daughter, who checked us in late afternoon, was not as much.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 424Stephanie424
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had a wonderful time at Glenmoor by the sea. The staff were so wonderful! I hugged the desk manager goodbye when I left and even shed a couple of tears. They really made my two teenagers and myself feel welcome. We stayed in a cabin down by the water. The views were so pretty. Make sure you take advantage of the two decks that are built into the stairway down to the water. They are a wonderful place to share a bottle of wine or just sit and reflect. We had a great time sitting by the HUGE bonfire one night with 4 other couples. The staff is also great about making recommendations. They accomdated every request I had and then some.

1 Thank Traveling_Teenagers
Bath, Maine
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Directly overlooking Penobscot Bay, just steps to the rocky beach. Clean, cheery, and the perfect place to experience the late afternoon wind, rain, thunder and lightning show! Close by great restaurants and shopping - Camden Hills State Park for hiking and gorgeous birdseye view of Camden Harbor. High recommend.

1 Thank jmatwood
NJ
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed at Glenmoor By The Sea this past Memorial Day Weekend. We took this option when the places we usually stay were booked,. We had a three room suite in the St Andrews Bldg. Two bedrooms, 2 baths and a pull out sofa. This is still the off season for Maine, especially for this area and compared to other properties we have stayed at including the Residence Inn in Auburn and the Belfast Inn in Belfast I found the price to be a little steep at 199.00 per night considering there is no WI-FI in the rooms,there is wi-fi in the main office but it's not much help since they close that around 8PM and if you are retuning from a day trip it's likely be after the office is closed no TV in the sitting room which meant our teenage daughter had nothing to watch at night. . However the two bedrooms had very nice flat screens with a fair assortment of channels though not vast. We did not watch TV much anyway as this hotel is very centrally located enabling us to do day trips to Portland, Cabot Mill antiques, Bar Harbor/Acadia and Freeport. They offered a wine and cheese reception when I made my reservations for arrival Friday night however it was canceled due to them being short staffed. Understood and no big deal. We were looking forward to it Saturday night, however when we arrived back from our day trip at 530 PM (It runs 4 -6) the woman at the desk did offer us to join it. There were no clean wine glasses or plates out. We walked over to the table several times then back to the desk but still no offer to get us wine glasses or plates. The lady working seemed harried so we just went out and got our own bottle of wine. Had it been that important, we would have spoken up.

The room in the St Andrews Bldg had immaculate bathrooms and sheets, these are deal breakers for me if they are dirty. The rugs are pink and were quite stained. Not a deal breaker but easily remedied if paid attention to by housekeeping. I walked back to the office and mentioned the rugs to the owner Katherine, who is a joy to speak to. She was plenty angry but not at me, at housekeeping for not taking care of it. We also learned that she bought the property a year ago and it is a work in progress. The rugs in our bldg had not been replaced yet. That's understandable. The next day, when we returned from our outing, the rugs had been cleaned! That was impressive! The only other problem I had was the sofa bed my daughter slept on had seen far better days. She's small, so it's not an issue but the canvas is torn and I would not put a larger person on it as they might fall through. Also there sitting room is extremely small and once the sofa bed is pulled out there is really no room to maneuver in it. The mattresses are quit firm on the beds and ,my husband and friend both loved them but is not my cup of tea. However that is a personal preference and I don't hold that against the hotel. When we checked in we were also told they do bonfires almost every night, Sunday they have S' mores. They did light a fire in the fire pit every night weather permitted but no senores to be had. So when checking in keep in mind that they might not always have exactly what they say they will. However, this slight issue should not deter you from staying somewhere else.

The continental breakfast is delicious pastries, yogurt, apples and oranges and granola cars with coffee, tea or hot chocolate. If you are diabetic or watching your weight this will not serve for you.

There is a great walk down stairs to the small beach with two landings that have tables and chairs to sit at and relax with the view. These are not lighted at night and really should be. However we sat there and enjoyed the Maine night sky, the sound of the surf and it was like a mental massage. Even though it was warm during the day, neither pool was open yet. They do have horseshoes, a tether ball and tennis courts.

So here is my summary;:

The Cons: Sofa bed old and worn and possibly not good for a larger person. No Wi-fi in rooms, no TV in sitting room, Management doesn't always deliver on perks they promise, The price is just a bit out of line for the area/season and lack of offerings, but not terrible.

The Pros: The location, the wooden deck, the bonfire at night, the cleanliness where it counts, the owner Katherine.

Would I stay here again? Probably. Katherine was awesome and very nice and the grounds are well manicured. The lack of Wi-Fi is a huge deterrent since my Verizon cell phone service was spotty in my room and that made planning the next days trips a bit hard. No access to Google Maps, tourist sites, etc. The computer in the lobby was free about 50 percent of the time in the mornings but still I would prefer a place where I can use my computer at my leisure. That coupled with the fact that I can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom Residence Inn suite in Auburn for 160 per night with all the amenities including a full breakfast and still be pretty centrally located would make this a tough choice. I do like to support the small businesses, but I also like to get the best value for my money. The Residence Inn doesn't have the wonderful bonfires at night...the sea a few steps, or, in our case, about 200 yards from ther door, it also doesn't have Katherine as an owner. I think this might become our back up plan in future.

Room Tip: If you don't mind an open floor plan, choose the cottages down by the water,. St Andrews Bldg i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LadySith
I wanted to thank you for your honest review. I took your comments to heart and have made some changes. We now have property wide WIFI so you can browse the internet in your room, at the bonfire in the middle of the great lawn and down on the waterfront decks over looking Penobscot Bay. The room you were in has seen some changes too. There is now a brand new flat screen TV and a brand new pullout sofa in the sitting room although I can't change the size of the room and it's true that when the pullout is 'out' it is a bit crowded. After you left we went back and did a more thorough cleaning of the carpet and were pleased with the results but will be making renovations to the room anyway soon. Although we don't do our Wine & Cheese anymore due to staffing issues, we do have a bonfire every night (weather permitting) and we have S'mores packets (all the fixings) available in the office. Although we do close the office around 8pm, there is a phone at the office door with the phone numbers for both the groundskeeper and the innkeeper's apartments so one of us is always available to get you some marshmallows. We have made some additional changes to the property including adding more lawn games and opening our guest laundry and exercise facility this week. And of course, our pools are now open for the season until September. We really appreciate constructive criticism and hope you will come back to see how you have helped us improve. Thanks again, Katherine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincolnville
Inn at Ocean's Edge
#5 of 10 in Rockport
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Glenmoor by the Sea? Share your experiences!